need an opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently spoke with an admissions director of a dental school regarding a response letter (it was taking to long). She told me that the adcom has postponed their decision until they receive organic chem grades. Should I take this as if I am accepted, but they need to see acceptable grades first or should I not count the chickens before the eggs have hatched?

Members don't see this ad.

Dentalhopeful said:
I recently spoke with an admissions director of a dental school regarding a response letter (it was taking to long). She told me that the adcom has postponed their decision until they receive organic chem grades. Should I take this as if I am accepted, but they need to see acceptable grades first or should I not count the chickens before the eggs have hatched?

hmm.. that's a sorta weird story. If I were you, I wouldn't take this as a positive sign. Most schools accept people, and then say in the acceptance that you gotta keep your grades up to your standards. If you don't, they might revoke. So, why would they be doing the reverse here? But you should take what i say with a grain of salt... i mean, i don't even know what school you're talking about.

I wouldn't at all take that as if you've been accepted. It sounds to me just what it is: they can't make a decision until they see some more of your grades. It probably means you are *close* to getting accepted, but that they are going to weigh your missing grades heavily into that decision, for some reason.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh i forgot to metion that after my interview, the interviewer made some comments suggesting that I was in. In particular, she said, "I will see you in august." Then I replied to correct her by saying, "hopefully you'll see me in august." Then she replied, "no...i will see you in august". Also, she made other comments like "I don't see any reason why we wouldn't accept you". So...what do you think now?

Dentalhopeful said:
oh i forgot to metion that after my interview, the interviewer made some comments suggesting that I was in. In particular, she said, "I will see you in august." Then I replied to correct her by saying, "hopefully you'll see me in august." Then she replied, "no...i will see you in august". Also, she made other comments like "I don't see any reason why we wouldn't accept you". So...what do you think now?

I have heard others who were told this or "If it was up to me you'd be in!" and then who did not get in... unfortuntely its up to the entire adcom, not just one person, but that's just what I've heard from some.

I would think for someone to tell you that they would see you in august, they either have some clout with the admission commitee or some really big kahunas.

Did you get interviewed by the dean of admission?

HD

What happens if you don't get accepted, thats just mean! :laugh:

Sounds too good to be true if you ask me!

Dentalhopeful said:

I personally don't think anything different. You still haven't turned in your grades and you still don't have an acceptance to that school.

You'll learn that what schools SAY and what they DO can be two very different things. This isn't always on purpose, but it happens.

It seems to me that if you were an applicant that they wanted and felt good about, they'd probably just accept you regardless of what your organic grades were (assuming you passed with a C or so). For some reason that isn't what is happening in this situation, so all we can do is speculate.