need anatomy outline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike05tusdm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Tufts Dental Student, but I figured that I'd ask you guys as well. Any of you know of a good, simple anatomy outline text? Moore simply has too many pages of trivial minutiae to read through. I heard of a "mini-Moore" aka. an abridged version of the Moore-anybody know anything about it? I'll be happy with any suggestions for a short, abridged, anatomy book.

Thanks, Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Im using the Board Review Series Gross Anatomy book - its the brown one with white lines on it. It doesnt have many pictures, but it IS a good outline.

Star

Our recommended anatomy book was "Essential Clinical Anatomy" by Moore. It's not bad, but there's still quite a bit of text and it's pretty dry reading (it's a paperback, but it's 450 pages). There are lots of good tables for all the muscles, vessels and nerves, and it has blue boxes throughout the chapter with interesting clinical applications. The drawings are fairly decent, with some cross-sections to study from as well. I thought it was useful to read along with the dissector, but I think most people just used it as a reference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people recommend gross anatomy by chung, the board review text. Moore has too much text and is not very concise.

The "other" Moore you're refering to is usually called the "baby-Moore" (or at least it is here). It looks just like the big Moore but it's about 2/3 the size and MUCH more concise. Most of my class has both versions...but that's because we have PBL and we have to use the big Moore to get details about the case studies. If your bookstore sells the big Moore, they should have the Baby version..if not, I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard to find on any of the dot-com bookstores.

Is the "baby-Moore" the "Essential Clinical Anatomy" book by Moore? -Mike

Yes, Essential Clinical Anatomy is baby Moore, the abridged version of Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy. It's by Moore and Agur; I have the 3rd edition, from 1995. It's not exactly a reviw book, though, so if that's what you're looking for BRS or High-Yield Gross Anatomy might be better. Hight Yield is VERY sparse, though, so it wouldn't be good alone. Not sure about BRS.

mt favorite review is clinical anatomy made ridiculously simple by goldberg.

i know it lacks a lot of detail, but i found that by understanding everything in there well enough it was very very easy to expand knowledge as needed. i used it to prepare for oral comprehensive anatomy exams and found that i was able to UNDERSTAND much better and have an intelligent discussion about anatomy...good luck!