Need-based financial aid for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MerryMaryMerry

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been living financially independent for 3-4 years now, and my personal salary is less than $50,000 (not much). But is it realistic to expect need-based scholarships if your parents make less than $200,000? They will not be supporting me in any way.
 
I've been living financially independent for 3-4 years now, and my personal salary is less than $50,000 (not much). But is it realistic to expect need-based scholarships if your parents make less than $200,000? They will not be supporting me in any way.
My postdoc salary is less than 50K and they still expect me to pay 12,500 from that. My parents are retired and living off of a fixed income, so I received a generous aid package. The need-based aid is very school specific. I have heard that where I am matriculating is known for their generosity. If your parents are younger (<60) and make near 200K, I don't think that you will get much need-based aid if any.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also depends on your age. At my school, if you're 30 or older, your parents' info isn't considered for need based institutional grants.
 
Unfortunately my parents are not helping me with medical school tuition, I'm in my late 20s.
It is slightly unfair that parental income is included in calculating financial aid packages, imo.
 
Highly dependent upon the school you attend. Mine gives a lot, others don't give much if any. You'll have to contact the financial aid department.
 
Highly dependent upon the school you attend. Mine gives a lot, others don't give much if any. You'll have to contact the financial aid department.
Schools with abundant need based grants or low unit loans are probably Top 10-20s. The vast majority of med schools simply redirect you to the federal loans from their "financial aid" page
 
My parent's efc doesn't even cover my rent and I got no aid anywhere. The best form of financial aid is a state school (or a top school). It's like getting a $20K/yr scholarship compared to private schools
 
My EFC is around $1,200. Anyone know if I will get need based aid at Northwestern or will it be all Federal Loan package?