Need Ease of Mind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your stats sound great! That's a great practice MCAT score..keep it up! Rock your finals and your MCAT and GOOD LUCK!!!! :thumbup:

I hear ya about the study breaks..i'm supposed to be working on a paper, but I'm taking way too many breaks on SDN thinking and worrying about med school apps. :D

Ditto, your stats sound good and you seem to be on the right track. Keep in mind though that practice MCAT's mean nothing until you've taken the real thing it's no guarantee that you will do that on the real MCAT. Do I sound bitter?? Haha, anyway also make sure you keep up some solid EC's without letting your grades fall too far. Really your years in college will go by fast so still enjoy yourself while you can. Good luck on finals, I have another week of classes still and then finals!! BUT I'm a senior and it will be sweet thing knowing I will be done....with undergrad at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tomorrow starts finals week and I'm in my typical "Oh crap, I'm going to do horrible" mindstate. (I know, why am I on the forums? I need a study break, haha) I'm only going into my junior year of undergrad but I was wondering if as of now I was limited by my GPA, 3.476, and practice MCAT, 27 (I never officially studied, taking the actual exam this July, waiting til finals are over :scared: ) to any of the osteopathic schools around the Pennsylvania region. Thanks a bunch! :)

I see no major hurdles. Those are statistics to get into a good school.

I did have a question though, if I'd apply osteo and referenced the HUP volunteering, would it be negative to say it was at HUP since that is an allopathic dominated hospital?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Definitely not, it'd be fine because it was medical work.

I did have a question though, if I'd apply osteo and referenced the HUP volunteering, would it be negative to say it was at HUP since that is an allopathic dominated hospital?

Thanks a bunch guys!

I'll agree with Commander Riker here (hold on....:barf: ...never thought I'd say that :D ). Osteo schools aren't going to chastise you for working primarily with an allopath. They will see the exposure you are getting very much as a positive. I would recommend to try to find a DO to shadow since osteo schools will want to know why you are choosing DO, and saying they are an MD backup won't work :smuggrin: You don't need 100+ hours with a DO, just see if you can get a day or two, enough time where he/she can get to know you a bit and write you a nice LOR.

I'll agree with Commander Riker here (hold on....:barf: ...never thought I'd say that :D ). Osteo schools aren't going to chastise you for working primarily with an allopath. They will see the exposure you are getting very much as a positive. I would recommend to try to find a DO to shadow since osteo schools will want to know why you are choosing DO, and saying they are an MD backup won't work :smuggrin: You don't need 100+ hours with a DO, just see if you can get a day or two, enough time where he/she can get to know you a bit and write you a nice LOR.

I forgot to mention I got about 55 hours with a DO from PCOM, where I'd apply as first choice for osteo if I don't pick MD, which I'm not starting a debate :laugh: . I'm going back to her again this summer, she's the head physician in the family practice she works at.

I forgot to mention I got about 55 hours with a DO from PCOM, where I'd apply as first choice for osteo if I don't pick MD, which I'm not starting a debate :laugh: . I'm going back to her again this summer, she's the head physician in the family practice she works at.

If you don't pick MD? I'd say if somebody is not picking somebody it would be MD schools not picking you. :laugh:

Seriously, if you are applying to both you need to apply at the same time. People try to save money by applying to allopathic and then when they don't get in they apply to osteopathic schools. Well, the adcom knows this, so don't think you can say that "you always wanted to be a DO" when the always was just since December. :laugh:

If you get a 27, the likelihood of getting in to allopathic is slim. You really need a 30, so work hard to get your score up.

Not at all. There are several DOs at HUP. Many in their residency programs as well (medicine, trauma surgery, anesthesiology, PM&R)

BTW, I went to USP as well. PM me if you need any help with anything. :thumbup:

Not at all. There are several DOs at HUP. Many in their residency programs as well (medicine, trauma surgery, anesthesiology, PM&R)

BTW, I went to USP as well. PM me if you need any help with anything. :thumbup:

That's ironic.

To the other poster, I intend on applying with both agencies at the same time. Yay for spending $$$.