Need Encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, hear it goes. I think I have been procrastinating on returning my secondaries so that I have an excuse for not getting in. I have had 8 secondaries waiting for me to fill out since early September, yet I still have yet to get a single one in. Now that I feel like I HAVE TO GET THEM IN, I am scared to death that it is going to be a waste of time; because I am SURE that they have already given acceptances to the majority of open seats. And if it is too late, then I am about to waste $350 on apps that are pretty much worthless. I think I am just really afraid of failure and I don't know how to light a torch under my a#%.

Is it too late?

And I have no idea how to write a CV. I don't feel like I have even done enough to warrant writing a CV.

I have even been avoiding SDN, for fear of too much guilt because I haven't gotten in my apps and so many people have already interviewed and been accepted.

Can anyone out there relate to how I feel?

Members don't see this ad.

KHep said:
So, hear it goes. I think I have been procrastinating on returning my secondaries so that I have an excuse for not getting in. I have had 8 secondaries waiting for me to fill out since early September, yet I still have yet to get a single one in. Now that I feel like I HAVE TO GET THEM IN, I am scared to death that it is going to be a waste of time; because I am SURE that they have already given acceptances to the majority of open seats. And if it is too late, then I am about to waste $350 on apps that are pretty much worthless. I think I am just really afraid of failure and I don't know how to light a torch under my a#%.

Is it too late?

And I have no idea how to write a CV. I don't feel like I have even done enough to warrant writing a CV.

I have even been avoiding SDN, for fear of too much guilt because I haven't gotten in my apps and so many people have already interviewed and been accepted.

Sorry dude. In this case, you made your own bed and now you have to sleep in it. Are you aware that many schools want those returned within a few weeks of you recieving them? I don't know why on Earth you would have not sent them in :confused:

As for the CV, you mean you never learned this stuff in college. Just do a google search, there are many web sites that can give you the basics for a CV or resume. Also, try your school's career services office.

Don't know what else to say, I really don't have sympathy for you though..sorry.

You know, I have to say, that you have never been very optimistic, and it is actually you who are one of the people who I hoped not to reply. Even when I was right on track, you were the only one who seemed like a downer. Why on earth would you even bother to reply. I would imagine that the majority of people would at least be nice...or not respond. But, I suppose if you feel better making me feel worse, good for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
KHep said:
You know, I have to say, that you have never been very optimistic, and it is actually you who are one of the people who I hoped not to reply. Even when I was right on track, you were the only one who seemed like a downer. Why on earth would you even bother to reply. I would imagine that the majority of people would at least be nice...or not respond. But, I suppose if you feel better making me feel worse, good for you.

I am sincerely sorry. I did not mean to hurt your feelings, but you really need to get those applications out pronto or you are going nowhere. I am not going to sugarcoat things because that does nothing to help you. I truly wish you the best, but every day you wait you put yourself in a worse position.

On the side...I do not ever remember responding to any of your posts in the past. What did I do or say in the past that brought you down, I would really like to know! Why did you hope I would not respond..must have been a big deal if you remember me in particular :eek: How or why am I "not optimistic". Optimism can not be an escape from reality. Your post is so FULL of negativity, you are not very optimistic either. I don't know you, but if you are a good candidate, you will get in but ONLY if you change that negative attitude and low self esteem..it can be picked up on in Personal Statements and such on the secondaires, so before you wirite tham and go to interviews, look at what you have accomplished, get pumped, and think positive.

Again, I am sorry for making you feel worse, but you have brought this on yourself and I truly thought the best way to help you was to be blunt, to the point, honest, and a little harsh considering your procastination and extremely low self esteem (so it seems). That is why I replied and that is why I said what I said. Sorry it was not what you wanted to hear. I would love to tell you that everything will be ok and you have not hurt yourself, but it would be nothing but a sugarcoat. Your not out yet, so get those applications out NOW!!!

I wish you the best of luck, and again, please accept my apology and let me know when and how I was a "downer" back when you were "on the right track". If I was rude or wrong, I will apologize for that too!

KHep said:

Is it too late?

I got my apps in late (processed 3rd week of November). I kind of know how you feel. There is something so final about having nothing left to work on. I am sitting here panicking while waiting for an invitation to interview. I check my answering machine about 50 times a day just in case I missed a call while checking the mail or just didn't hear the phone.

I kind of procrastinated on getting my apps in, but had to because I knew I would never get in if I don't. No matter how good you are, med school won't seek you out to grant you admission, at some point you have to apply. I bet if you sit down for a couple of hours, you can get it done. Most schools have a deadline somewhere around February, and will admit you up until around August.

Ok KHep, I went through some past posts, and the ONLY time I can find that we posted to eachother was here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133936

Where I thought I was very helpful in answering 2 questions. This is really bugging me for some reason, what did I ever do to you?

Most of the Osteopathic school secondaries really aren't that hard, you just have to set aside a few hours to do them. For the ones that require essays, you can usually just write one essay and change it around a little. Think about how far you've already come by writing your personal statement, and then think how much it would suck to reapply and do everything over again. :eek: If that doesn't motivate you to get going, I don't know what will. :laugh:

I know exactly how you feel KHep... EXACTLY how you feel...

It's a wrenching feeling originating from the top of the gut that's the result of worrying yourself sick for 90% of your waking day and then it torments you while you're trying to fall asleep.

My only advice to you is to fill them out and get them in ASAP. There have been people I know that have gotten in after sending in secondaries as late as Feb. Naturally, these people had above average stats and I'm sure that was the reason they were able to obtain success that late in the game.

The best motivation I have for you is that it just feels better knowing that the decision is now out of your hands.

IMO, the chance is worth the $350.00 but be quick.

Best of luck,
DrIsh

I applied 4 years ago.. and got secondary applic and decided not to submit them.. cause my grades where low and MCAT also...

but I wish I had actually sent them in. EVEN if it means I would get refused.

A word of advice for everyone applying.. APPLY EARLY. A LOT OF US WHO DID had acceptance by the end of SEPTEMBER... now we are at easssssss with little care in the world.

Good luck

now we are at easssssss with little care in the world.
If you exclude biochemistry this semester :D

To the OP, if I were you I would send them! If anything $350 will ease that "what if" feeling you will have looming over you for the next year. Nonetheless, you do need to get those in ASAP! I finished several secondaries over one weekend. They aren't too terribly hard. Figure out which ones you have passed the deadline for (MSU had a deadline for me), and then write write write!

As for writing your CV:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=138712

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone for posting. I am going to diligently work on them this weekend. And I'm sure you are all right, that I will feel better after getting them in and I also agree that in the grand scheme of things $350 is nothing.

I think part of my procrastination stems from some guilt related to my kids. I know that their lives will be dramatically altered once I am in med school. But, they are what led me to this place and I know in the long run, they will benefit from my experience.

I spent this past semester working on research in the neuroscience lab at my school and absolutely loved it. They invited me to apply to their grad program and I started getting a little bit confused. I had friends encouraging me to pursue the PhD rather than the DO because they thought the PhD woud be more family friendly, but after a bit of soul searching, I knew that without a doubt, I want to be a DR. Of course, that was just prior to finals week, then my parents came in for the holiday, etc. So, as much as I knew it was imperative to get them in, there were things going on that allowed me to put it off. And with every day that I delayed, it has become harder to do. But, I think I will start off this morning by sending out DMU because after looking at it, I realize, that it will not take long at all and it could have been done easily months ago (since it doesn't have a single essay).

Thanks again. I should have never stopped visiting SDN. I should have looked at this site as motivation.

KHep

KHep said:
Thanks everyone for posting. I am going to diligently work on them this weekend. And I'm sure you are all right, that I will feel better after getting them in and I also agree that in the grand scheme of things $350 is nothing.

I think part of my procrastination stems from some guilt related to my kids. I know that their lives will be dramatically altered once I am in med school. But, they are what led me to this place and I know in the long run, they will benefit from my experience.

I spent this past semester working on research in the neuroscience lab at my school and absolutely loved it. They invited me to apply to their grad program and I started getting a little bit confused. I had friends encouraging me to pursue the PhD rather than the DO because they thought the PhD woud be more family friendly, but after a bit of soul searching, I knew that without a doubt, I want to be a DR. Of course, that was just prior to finals week, then my parents came in for the holiday, etc. So, as much as I knew it was imperative to get them in, there were things going on that allowed me to put it off. And with every day that I delayed, it has become harder to do. But, I think I will start off this morning by sending out DMU because after looking at it, I realize, that it will not take long at all and it could have been done easily months ago (since it doesn't have a single essay).

Thanks again. I should have never stopped visiting SDN. I should have looked at this site as motivation.

KHep
SInce you ignored my request to substantiate your dislike of me, I will assume you were mistaken in your accusation that I have been rude in the past, I lack optimism, and you hoped I would not reply to you. I have never been rude to you in the past :rolleyes: Good Luck!

Medic170, I chose to respond overall before responding to you. I'm sorry this has caused you so much worry. Before responding to you specifically, I was going to do the same as you and make sure that it was indeed you or someone else with Medic in their name. So, that if I were mistaken, I could apologize. Seeing, as I have just logged on, I haven't had opportunity to yet look through my old posts.

This is really unproductive and pointless.

KHep said:
Medic170, I chose to respond overall before responding to you. I'm sorry this has caused you so much worry. Before responding to you specifically, I was going to do the same as you and make sure that it was indeed you or someone else with Medic in their name. So, that if I were mistaken, I could apologize. Seeing, as I have just logged on, I haven't had opportunity to yet look through my old posts.

This is really unproductive and pointless.

whatever