Need for radiology elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenau12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you need a radiology elective to get into a radiology program? Answer should theoretically be yes. Still, I just want to check.
In general, how many letters of recommendations do you need from radiologists for a radiology residency program?

Members don't see this ad.

well you'd probably want to do a rads elective if you were interested in the field am I right?? Heck how would you know it was right for you 100% if you didn't even spend a month doing it yourself?

I was told that a rads letter is not necessary unless you work very closely with a faculty member for an extended length of time, otherwise the letter will be generic and not very helpful. Medicine or surgery letters are sought after. I am sure one will not hurt though. Just make sure to get letters from rotations where your work ethic and knowledge are clearly known by the attending.

I think both of you should read the advice thread on auntminnie.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think both of you should read the advice thread on auntminnie.

I am relating pretty much exactly what I was told about LOR from rads unprompted by my radiology PD.

Do whatever you want, it's a free country.

Well as I said a rads letter is not bad but not necessarily great if the faculty member didn't know you that well. So, OP, do a rads elective. Try to get to know a faculty member so you can get a letter, but don't get one if you hardly interacted with the person just to have one - this is kinda common sense... I was told specifically at least one medicine or surgery LOR ideally from a sub-I.

Well as I said a rads letter is not bad but not necessarily great if the faculty member didn't know you that well. So, OP, do a rads elective. Try to get to know a faculty member so you can get a letter, but don't get one if you hardly interacted with the person just to have one - this is kinda common sense... I was told specifically at least one medicine or surgery LOR ideally from a sub-I.

If you read the thread I referenced, you'd find many posts from program directors telling you the ideal balance of letters (one rads research, one rads, one medicine, one surgery). Good luck scheduling a medicine or surgery sub-I early in the year when you're not doing medicine or surgery, especially with mspe release being advanced to oct 1 next year.