Need for USMLE Step II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arch Guillotti said:
Die thread, die. This is ridiculous.

No matter what program you decide to choose for your residency in Anesthesiology you will ultimately be working side by side with physicians from all walks of life. The truth behind the physician's qualities does not lie in their board scores or diploma; it is solely dependent on their ability to treat and care for patients. As for Anon's post, I am glad you had the opportunity to excel within the IVY system but you need to realize many factors play a role in a person's choice for education. Everyone on this thread has several examples of individuals either due to family, financial, etc. that chose undergraduate or graduate institutions over IVY due to external factors. The funny thing is..... All the schools use the same basic texts one way or another. Personally I went to a community college to earn my bachelors degree and then from there to a state university medical program. Never once has prestige been a deciding factor in my educational process and my board scores trump yours and many others due to countless hours of hard work. The only reward I seek out of my professional life is to comfort and medically treat my patients in and out of the operating room and to enjoy life with my family. I hope my future colleagues share my views and understand what is truly important. Anon... someday I pray you will share the same or your patients will suffer as a consequence of your bitterness and pride.

Members don't see this ad.

On my way out said:
Wow, you obviously have so much more insight than those ignorant Program directors and residency committee folk at allopathic institutions. Especially those that recruit DO's yearly, to include your precious Ivy's. Because we all know, it's what is learned in Med school that makes great, knowledgeable and competent physicians......not residency. And it is only the information taught in an allopathic institution that counts, those "DO" schools are busy teaching their students OMT basket weaving courses and forego all the necessary fundamental medical material. All I can say is that you are a total pompous ***** and it has been quite entertaining watching you put you ignorance on public display but I feel I must retort.

Although I do not disagree with you that there are some DO schools that have lower entrance requirements, there are also a good number of state allopathic schools that do also, but you make no mention of those. Grades and scores are not the end all, be all of what makes a good physician. There are other qualities that are equally important. Compassion, caring, empathy, problem solving and common sense (which you obviously lack) to name a few. I have met some very book smart physicians that are the worst clinicians ever. I wouldn't refer my dog to them. But I bet they smoked the USMLE.

I have a colleague who is a DO that matched at Yale for anesthesia residency and I can assure you his intelligence, dedication and work ethic are on par with any allo applicant out there. So let me ask you this, is it your opinion that this DO who goes through residency at Yale, scores equally well on inservice exams, completes residency in good standing and becomes board certified is a sub par physician/anesthesiologist just because he is a DO? I'd like to hear your reasoning on that one. Because the way I see it, even if his med school training is inferior (which it is not), I would think that once residency is done, he would be viewed, by naysayers such as yourself, as an equal. But then again that would require some inkling of common sense, so it may actually just be too much to ask.

Try to keep up. I know you couldn't when you applied to the US allopathic schools. DO programs routinely accept MCAT scores of 14-18 :eek: :eek: ROUTINE :eek:. That means your year and every other year. So, where is your arguement for the following...

This is where the current thread is focused:

Practice manipulation you stooge. We all know that when you couldn't get in at US allopathic schools that you swore up and down at your interviews that osteopathy was the life for you. How can any DO that swore (lied) about their love for osteopathy to get in at any US school that would take them (and we know most of you did) expect anything less than contempt for them in the workplace? You are dishonest manipulative unmotivated underachieving charlatans. No one can convince me that you as a group only dropped your standards once (going to an osteopathy school) and that that philosophy of taking shortcuts never enters other aspects of your lives. Or did you plan in advance to fail being accepted to US allopathic schools, acknowledge to yourself that you would lie this one time and take the easy way out. But, you promised to yourself you would always give a full effort after that one time.

sail00 said:
chose undergraduate or graduate institutions over IVY...

Are you implying that all those DO candidates passed up IVY league med schools? By "chose" and "over" are you implying that these stooges were accepted to both and picked a DO program? How often does that happen in your fantasyland? You are the idiot and I bet you're a DO or IMG.

Try to keep up with where the thread is loser.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anonymity said:
Are you implying that all those DO candidates passed up IVY league med schools? By "chose" and "over" are you implying that these stooges were accepted to both and picked a DO program? How often does that happen in your fantasyland? You are the idiot and I bet you're a DO or IMG.

Try to keep up with where the thread is loser.

I understand perfectly where the thread is right now, aimed directly against you. From your language ( "loser" and "stooges") and ignorance I would expect you to be working a 12 hour shift job at Burger King. Perhaps you will be there in the future after a few Malpractice suits come against you. The inferiority complex definitely resides within yourself. Keep on portraying yourself as something you are not, a good physician and good human being. My only suggestions are for you to stop hiding behind numbers and names and go out there and do your job. My statements were generalized towards "undergraduate" and "graduate" programs which go far and beyond the scope of medicine but a narrow minded fool like yourself has difficulties seeing the broader topics. Since anesthesiology requires a complex thinker with several anesthetic care plans in mind you would best be suited in another field of medicine. As for your IVY training I am sure not a single institution would want to claim you. Alright, I am out of this thread. Time to find something worthwhile to read.

sail00 said:
I understand perfectly where the thread is right now, aimed directly against you. From your language ( "loser" and "stooges") and ignorance I would expect you to be working a 12 hour shift job at Burger King. Perhaps you will be there in the future after a few Malpractice suits come against you. The inferiority complex definitely resides within yourself. Keep on portraying yourself as something you are not, a good physician and good human being. My only suggestions are for you to stop hiding behind numbers and names and go out there and do your job. My statements were generalized towards "undergraduate" and "graduate" programs which go far and beyond the scope of medicine but a narrow minded fool like yourself has difficulties seeing the broader topics. Since anesthesiology requires a complex thinker with several anesthetic care plans in mind you would best be suited in another field of medicine. As for your IVY training I am sure not a single institution would want to claim you. Alright, I am out of this thread. Time to find something worthwhile to read.

I know you're a DO student, bitter about never making it into an IVY league school. But, here is a thought to ponder... If I made it where you never could, what is your reasoning for thinking you'll be better at Anesthesia than I will be? I out performed you in every way so far, why should that change? Because you really, really want to be better... LOL :laugh: :laugh:

If I haven't made my point by now, you stooges may never get it. You put forth half measured attempts to get into a US allopathic school, settles on a DO program. It is that exact willingness to give up and take the easy way that raises questions about your ability to anything as well as the top performers (US Allopathic grads). If I come across any of you lame DO/IMG humps in my training I'm putting the screws to you everyday and exposing you as charlatans.

OK, I’m finished too.

Anonymity said:
1) My Step II is lower than my Step I. I hit 258 on Step II and got a letter from NBME after Step I.

2) URMs are welcome at both institutions, but they get no slack. Fail exams and you are shown the door. So, don't lump URMs in with DOs and IMGs. Hard workers are hard workers.

3) PENN was my choice over Harvard. As in, I was accepted to both and picked the MD/PhD at PENN.

4) Are you an average student at your DO school? I'm above average, but not the best student. I run with the top 10% of my class, about average in that group with the next 10% at our heels. Is 10-20% of your class in your league? Or are you the exception people will talk about for years at your ...-COM? :laugh: :laugh:

roomofthosewhocare.jpg

Im starting to hope this guy matches with me. I'll enjoy being paired with him and killing our patients so that he can look as bad as me.

Unfortunately, he'll likely do pathology, judging by his people skills.

I like this, actually. Lively debate, even from a complete tool, will help keep you on your toes. Although you would think that someone at the pinnacle of medical education (Harvard BS, Penn MD/PHD) would have much better to do with his day than worry about what we on the anesthesia forum are talking about. So, sadly, I actually don't believe his assertions.

I guess I'll have to continue to kill 'nearly all' my patients and practice unsafe medicine (even though I havent spent the last 4 years in a lab). Carry on, my friends, the road grows shorter every day.

Finally, my homage to anonymity.
howtofakecollegeheader.jpg

If we are charlatans and second class physicians, then why do we continue to land quality residency spots, including Ivy's? Sounds like we are the smart ones, we cruise through med school, and nab that coveted spot from all you overachiever types, no wonder you are bitter.............SUCKER!

Anonymity said:
It is troubling that so many people fail to gain admission to US allopathic medical schools, only to run an end around and hop back into the allopathic medicine pathway during residency. These are people who I honestly think are as smart and capable as many of my allopathic classmates, but never put in the effort to get the grades or scores to gain admission to an allopathic program in the US. This group of uninspired underachievers hoping to largely bypass the arduous task of completing an American allopathic education is rightly branded with the marking of DO and forbidden the prestige of calling themselves MD. They should further be required to call themselves osteopathy sudents and not medical students.

This thread is a perfect example… why should you take USMLE Step II? Why put in a full effort when a half effort has served you so well thus far? You disgust me and many of my peers as you masquerade yourself as a Medical Doctor to patients who never understand your sub-par credentials. Stay true to your word… when you interviewed for your Doctor of Osteopathy program did you exclaim how you would abandon the field the first chance you got to rejoin the allopathic field, or did you lie and tell tales of how you had always wanted to learn Osteopathic techniques and practice Osteopathy? You are no better than the so-called US-IMG group that traveled abroad for a “medical education”.

US-IMG is another uninspired group of underachievers that should be exposed as such whenever a patient seeks medical attention. It is an insult for you to share my title and it makes my blood boil every time I learn more of your pathetic education in the Caribbean or wherever. I group DO and all IMG physicians together and would encourage my elected representatives to pass federal or individual state laws barring them all from entering any residency that wasn’t Primary Care. After completing such programs an additional requirement to practice in under served areas lacking PCPs, such as free clinics in rural and urban areas should be imposed for a minimum of 4 years. After meeting these service requirements, then they could apply to specialty residency programs.

you are a complete A$$ - It is not worth debating with a troll! :thumbdown:

oldManDO2009 said:
you are a complete A$$ - It is not worth debating with a troll! :thumbdown:

The bottom line is you're a bunch of bitter DO candidates that really wanted to be MD candidates before all those rejection letters came in and you had to settle on a DO program. :laugh: :laugh:

Never for a day have I wanted to be a DO/IMG.

Can any of you DO/IMG stooges say you never wanted to be a US allopathic grad :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh:

Truth: You know it when you see it.

OPEN UP AND SUCK IT LOSERS! :wow::wow:

Idiopathic said:
Im starting to hope this guy matches with me. I'll enjoy being paired with him and killing our patients so that he can look as bad as me.

Unfortunately, he'll likely do pathology, judging by his people skills.

I like this, actually. Lively debate, even from a complete tool, will help keep you on your toes. Although you would think that someone at the pinnacle of medical education (Harvard BS, Penn MD/PHD) would have much better to do with his day than worry about what we on the anesthesia forum are talking about. So, sadly, I actually don't believe his assertions.

I guess I'll have to continue to kill 'nearly all' my patients and practice unsafe medicine (even though I havent spent the last 4 years in a lab). Carry on, my friends, the road grows shorter every day.

Finally, my homage to anonymity.

You're still going to be a DO. Can you honestly say you're happy that you didn't get into a US Allopathic school? Seriously? You always wanted to be a DO? Really? Always? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You can't even admit you settled. The fact is: you didn't try hard enough and that is part of who you are.

Just a reminder:

SDN has a TOS which includes:

Harassment and Flaming

The Student Doctor Network members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of deriding that forum's topic and/or members.

Members don't see this ad :)
He is a troll that got a new username so he could bad mouth other people. Having worked in healthcare longer than he has considered it a career option - he has no idea what he is talking about. I have worked with both MD & DO (properly labeled) and you would not know the difference.

Only some self righteous jerk who sprained his arm patting himself on the back wants to make it an issue. If this person actually worked in healthcare he would realize how ridiculous his comments are.

And yes I am very happy to be in a D.O. program because I will be a physician and I will enjoy what I do - everyday without regrets. People like you with a delusional idea of your self-worth and over inflated ego (that will serve you poorly in your professional career) - are difficult to work with. Your “I am superior because (insert delusion)” will eventually end in error and harm because you are to smart for the rest of us country bumpkins.

Quickly get a new user name so you can hide behind your anonymity and continue to bad mouth the whole world because you are apparently smarter than everyone else. Good luck with that!

Anonymity said:
It is funny that MDs work for you. You acknowledge it, we acknowledge it, I'm certain they acknowledge it. What makes it so funny? Humor is often found in the truth of an ironic situation and I submit to you that it is irony in its saddest form (where patient safety is compromised) that any DO chair a department of anesthesia.

Oh brother.........good luck with your career. I once felt a bit of contempt at your inane statements but now I just feel a sense of overwhelming sadness.

Man I sincerely hope you do not become an alcoholic or drug addict to ameliorate your feelings of dissatisfaction once you begin interacting with physicians (D.O. and M.D.) throughout your career. Once again, I wish you the best of luck because you will definitely need it. :)

militarymd said:
Hey Sensei,

If you truly think there is no difference between DO's and MD's, then why did you say this?

Just curious

Mil,

There IS a difference in residency training, that is why I said this. I know where you're going with this so......

If you as a D.O. opt to train at a small institution with low volume and acuity (some D.O. residency progams) then you will not be on par with your M.D. colleagues. I personally feel that any D.O. who wishes to obtain the best residency training possible should do an allopathic residency for the obvious reasons (higher volume, etc.) Allopathic residency programs are better than the majority of the osteopathic ones. I am not being disingenuous here; it is reality.

Flame on.........

The_Sensei said:
Mil,

There IS a difference in residency training, that is why I said this. I know where you're going with this so......

If you as a D.O. opt to train at a small institution with low volume and acuity (some D.O. residency progams) then you will not be on par with your M.D. colleagues. I personally feel that any D.O. who wishes to obtain the best residency training possible should do an allopathic residency for the obvious reasons (higher volume, etc.) Allopathic residency programs are better than the majority of the osteopathic ones. I am not being disingenuous here; it is reality.

Flame on.........

So, Sensi,

The osteopathic schools are of equal quality, but osteopathic post-graduate training programs are not?

Interesting...AND confusing....

So are you saying, when I look at CVs of people looking for jobs....where they went to medical school doesn't matter.....but if they went to an osteopathic program for post-graduate training....then it is of concern????

oldManDO2009 said:
... you are to smart for the rest of us country bumpkins.

It's "too smart"... you bumpkin.

militarymd said:
So, Sensi,

The osteopathic schools are of equal quality, but osteopathic post-graduate training programs are not?

So are you saying, when I look at CVs of people looking for jobs....where they went to medical school doesn't matter.....but if they went to an osteopathic program for post-graduate training....then it is of concern????

Unfortunately... yes. I think osteopathic schools are equal to many allopathic schools BUT the residency programs are subpar. The AOA spends too much time on other garbage instead of just improving the residency program quality. Keep in mind that most DOs go into allopathic spots for residency even though we're all rejects who wish we would have went to PENN.

avanb803 said:
Unfortunately... yes. I think osteopathic schools are equal to many allopathic schools BUT the residency programs are subpar.

Do you see the problem here?

Anonymity said:
It's "too smart"... you bumpkin.

Do these posts that come from a "Harvard/Penn" grad smell a little fishy to anyone else? I think it's a pretty safe bet that this "MD/PhD" is a premed that just got in somewhere. I wouldn't be shocked if he has another name with posts from a few months ago say "what are my chances? should I retake my mcat?" So some basic rules of internet forums are:

1. 400 lb women become supermodels
2. Lab rat premeds who step on others to get ahead become "Harvard/Penn" grads
3. People who pull rule 1 or 2 still aren't getting laid

So please people, lets push the ignore button. Let the ole "ivy league" fellow get back to studying organic or physics. Karma will come around on this delightful person and hopefully one of us will get to be his attending in the future. :D

militarymd said:

Yes it IS a problem... for those training at those particular program. But to put up a blanket stereotype is ignorant. It's inappropriate to stereotype in any situation, whether it's racial, medical, etc. I know you aren't saying that right now, but some do. If a DO is good enough to get into a particular allopathic program, I promise it was because they were MORE than qualified to get in there. So look at the program that someone trained at, not the letters behind their name.

militarymd said:
So, Sensi,

Not that confusing....

Yes, that is what I am saying. When I look through CVs, where someone went to medical school is of little to no concern to me. Where they did residency and their work ethic are my primary considerations.

I think many of the AOA residencies are under funded and lack the resources that allopathic residencies have. I want to apply to a residency that will meet my needs. I want to work in a rural community and feel it is important to get as much experience as possible. The variety of patients will provide a basis for the kind of patient care I may be responsible for in the future. I would hate to have a patient that I felt completely unprepared to manage.

That said, if an AOA residency met those criteria I would apply. I have no need to bolster my self esteem with pedigrees. How often do you get too mention your a Harvard graduate - do you wait for the opportunity to force it in to the conversation.. "ya my car needs an oil change - hasn't had one since HAVARD" :sleep:

We can legitimately debate the politics and money of residencies - it is a subject that has implications for recent and soon to be graduates of medical school. I support a joint match but I don't think much will change until the AOA put a significant amount of money into the programs.

militarymd said:

It is a problem. But if someone has the credentials, motivation, and work ethic to secure a spot at a superior allopathic residency slot, then they deserve it.

It is unfortunate that the osteopathic world doesn't have an adequate number of decent post-graduate training slots. I certainly didn't let that stop me from obtaining an excellent residency spot and excel during my residency.

After a little over 2 years in private practice, I am now the chief of anesthesia at a 275 bed/10 OR hospital. Not too shabby for a D.O.-slob....

The problem that I'm alluding to is that Osteopaths clearly say their training is equal to allopaths (I'm not disputing it), but then in the same breath say the training they are talking about is limited only to pre-graduate training.

If you are going to say osteopathic training is the same....then it is the same...from beginning to end.....not osteopaths are just as good...oh...but...only if they complete allopathic training.

Anonymity said:
It is troubling that so many people fail to gain admission to US allopathic medical schools, only to run an end around and hop back into the allopathic medicine pathway during residency. These are people who I honestly think are as smart and capable as many of my allopathic classmates, but never put in the effort to get the grades or scores to gain admission to an allopathic program in the US. This group of uninspired underachievers hoping to largely bypass the arduous task of completing an American allopathic education is rightly branded with the marking of DO and forbidden the prestige of calling themselves MD. They should further be required to call themselves osteopathy sudents and not medical students.

This thread is a perfect example… why should you take USMLE Step II? Why put in a full effort when a half effort has served you so well thus far? You disgust me and many of my peers as you masquerade yourself as a Medical Doctor to patients who never understand your sub-par credentials. Stay true to your word… when you interviewed for your Doctor of Osteopathy program did you exclaim how you would abandon the field the first chance you got to rejoin the allopathic field, or did you lie and tell tales of how you had always wanted to learn Osteopathic techniques and practice Osteopathy? You are no better than the so-called US-IMG group that traveled abroad for a “medical education”.

US-IMG is another uninspired group of underachievers that should be exposed as such whenever a patient seeks medical attention. It is an insult for you to share my title and it makes my blood boil every time I learn more of your pathetic education in the Caribbean or wherever. I group DO and all IMG physicians together and would encourage my elected representatives to pass federal or individual state laws barring them all from entering any residency that wasn’t Primary Care. After completing such programs an additional requirement to practice in under served areas lacking PCPs, such as free clinics in rural and urban areas should be imposed for a minimum of 4 years. After meeting these service requirements, then they could apply to specialty residency programs.

This is a great example of verbal diarrhea in written form. If you would like to compare statistics and accomplishments of this DO against your priviledged "allopathic" credentials feel free so we can see if your theory holds up.

This argument could be extended to ANY resident training program - there are excellent and then just average programs. I think that lazy worthless people can get through a residency (even at Penn) and not be a good doctor. A good doctor is more then just his/her training. A well trained bigot has no place in medicine - how Uberalis to think that only certain classes of people are superior and other classes are inferior (based on education but why not race and ethnicity)

When I finally have to make a residency choice I will consider all opportunities including AOA & ACGME programs. I will not limit my opportunities because I want to provide the best care possible as a physician. The only difference I can see between a DO program and an MD program is that I end up having to take OMT for 2 years - which is fine because I think some parts of OMT rock.

DOs and MDs can sit for the same licensing exam (USMLE) and I think the results are an indicator that the academics are similar in nature.

I see strong evidence (in form and syntax),that anoymity is NMT. NMT described himself as a second year student at the University of Miami Medical school. Read his numerous anti-osteopathic posts to get a feel for this guys weird preoccupation with D.O.s. Saddest, and most telling...are his plaintive questions to female PAs in the PA forums such as "Do you think PAs like to date MDs?"....and..""DO PAs find M.D.s attractive? Its too sad to get angry over or even respond. I was foolish to even get irritated over this guys verbal diarrhea. You are quite right....it is diarrhea.

metsin06 said:
This is a great example of verbal diarrhea in written form. If you would like to compare statistics and accomplishments of this DO against your priviledged "allopathic" credentials feel free so we can see if your theory holds up.
"Verbal diarrhea" is a beautiful & apt description of this diatribe from someone who is obviously trying to stir the pot. 'Anonymity' could be anyone from some 15 y/o kid getting his/her giggles or legit Ivy-league med student doing the same - getting his/her giggles by getting a bunch of others all riled up & spouting vitriol. Fact of the matter is, who cares who he/she really is?

Do yourselves & SDN a favor - do not reinforce their thrill seeking behavior by responding either pro or con. If folks throw fits & deliver rants - he/she wins, gets their thrills & they will persist. If you do not feed the fire, then they will go onto other places...and leave us alone.

Besides, if you take a deep breath & really read these sorts of posts, they're actually rather humorous in their flagrant display of lack of knowledge & experience. Let's try not to fall prey to this simplistic BS.

militarymd said:
The problem that I'm alluding to is that Osteopaths clearly say their training is equal to allopaths (I'm not disputing it), but then in the same breath say the training they are talking about is limited only to pre-graduate training.

If you are going to say osteopathic training is the same....then it is the same...from beginning to end.....not osteopaths are just as good...oh...but...only if they complete allopathic training.

This post is obviously from someone who has a poor background knowledge and historical perspective on medicine in the US. There are clearly not enough osteopathic residencies to accomadate all DO graduates and not enough allopathic graduates to accomadate allopathic residencies. DO the math.

metsin06 said:
This post is obviously from someone who has a poor background knowledge and historical perspective on medicine in the US.

I guess you're right. I guess I don't understand the osteopathic training pathway.

So correct if I'm wrong.

The osteopathic training pathway is planned from the beginning to switch to the allopathic training pathway once you finish with pre-graduate training.....Is that correct?

The switch over is pre-planned because you know from the get-go that there will be more osteopathic graduates than there will be osteopathic residency slots..right?

After you finish the allopathic residency, then you have the option to switch back over to the osteopathic boards again..right?

Was the summary accurate?

gtleeee said:
I see strong evidence (in form and syntax),that anoymity is NMT. NMT described himself as a second year student at the University of Miami Medical school. Read his numerous anti-osteopathic posts to get a feel for this guys weird preoccupation with D.O.s. Saddest, and most telling...are his plaintive questions to female PAs in the PA forums such as "Do you think PAs like to date MDs?"....and..""DO PAs find M.D.s attractive? Its too sad to get angry over or even respond. I was foolish to even get irritated over this guys verbal diarrhea. You are quite right....it is diarrhea.

Okay, that's funny because NMT sent me a message asking for a picture. I guess he saw SDN as pickup territory. :) Okay, back to your regularly scheduled DO/MD bash fest.

militarymd said:
I guess you're right. I guess I don't understand the osteopathic training pathway.

So correct if I'm wrong.

The osteopathic training pathway is planned from the beginning to switch to the allopathic training pathway once you finish with pre-graduate training.....Is that correct?

The switch over is pre-planned because you know from the get-go that there will be more osteopathic graduates than there will be osteopathic residency slots..right?

After you finish the allopathic residency, then you have the option to switch back over to the osteopathic boards again..right?

LOLOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

could you make it any more complex?

i say open up the AOA residencies to both parties - then everyone can stop complaining...

oldManDO2009 said:
i say open up the AOA residencies to both parties - then everyone can stop complaining...
not sure why? I'm a US allo...if the ostepathic residencies are not as good, as stated by your fellow DOs, what makes you think that US allo's would want to go there?

I think it is a funding and resource issue. If AOA residency had better funding (and more serious support by the AOA) then they would be more desirable. As it stands IMHO, the AOA is more interested in opening schools then improving residencies (with money) and finalizing the joint match issue.

Better residencies mean more slots for derm, heme-onc, radiology, etc. and more academic types running those residencies. I do not agree with the AOAs position on the joint match and the silly idea that if you had not taken OMT then you would not be successful in the residency. As it stands many D.Os take a refresher course to meet licensing obligations because the 3rd & 4th year do not provide many opportunities to practice OMT (in my opinion)

There are even programs out there for MDs to learn OMT if they so desire - it is not some secret handshake it is a series of treatments ANYBODY could learn (with the appropriate medical background) .So if an MD wants an AOA derm residency - go for it. Need OMT - take a 4 week training course.

That is what I meant by opening up residencies for all - I just did not add the caveat that some AOA programs are lacking in funds and resources.

militarymd said:

So correct if I'm wrong.

Close, but no cigar - don't feel bad, it is overly complex & borders on absurd. Many DO-students don't even understand it...it is even worse than the ACGME post-grad system. In essence, the AOA system still closely resemble the structure of ACGME post-grad training 25 years ago. The PGY-1 year, or the intern year, is largely treated as a distinct entity from the remainder of the residency. For many, but not all programs, the matching process is also separate. In other words, the AOA match is for an internship slot & the residency slot entails reapplication/interviewing. For example, if you wanted to do an EM program in the AOA - in the old, typical AOA system - the applicant would apply to & interview for intern year slots. And then, in the course of the intern year, repeat the process for the actual EM slot.

Now, with all of that said, the AOA is working toward modernization - meaning smoothing out the process by linking intern & residency slots, bundling programs where intern/resident is a single slot & not just linked & allowing for applicants to only do the apply/interview/match process once in lieu of multiple times. This transition is on-going & in many ways adds to the confusion because different programs, both between & within specialties, are at differing points in the changeover.

Furthermore, not all programs participate in the AOA match, or at least not in an above the table manner. It is quite (very) common for AOA programs to award some or all of their slots in agreements with tasty applicants while they do audition rotations...up to & including signed contracts. Yes, this violates the "letter of the law" for the matching process, but is so commonplace that not even bats an eye - except for those who were not offered slots prior to the match.

Lastly, the AOA 'requires' a traditional rotating internship for any sort of AOA-based credentialing. Their definition of an intern year is essentially mimics a 5th year of medical school (1 or 2 month rotations in the various classic medical disciplines: OB, FP, IM, GS + some elective time, but you are paid & function as a PGY-1 physician). To ever hold an elected or voting position in the AOA, a tenure-track faculty position at a DO school or be credentialed by an AOA specialty board - you must have either completed an AOA-sanctioned internship or have applied to have your ACGME PGY-1 year approved...and they do not give away those approvals! Basically, if you ACGME PGY-1 year does not CLOSELY correspond with what you would have done in an AOA program, it is a no-go.

militarymd said:

Some folks plan to switch from day one, some plan to remain in AOA-sanxtioned programs & others, like myself, focus on picking the programs that best suit what we wish to accomplish personally & professionally.

militarymd said:

The fact of the matter is that DO schools, & hence the number of students, have vastly outpaced any growth in the number of AOA program slots. When I graduated in 2003, there were roughly 1800 DO graduates & around 1200 funded internship slots. At that time, most intern slots were not linked in any way to a residency slot - please see above. Now, in 2006, I think they're going to graduate on the order of 2300~2500 DOs & I think there are still approx 1200~1500 funded AOA intern slots...more of the linked/combined with residencies, but still vastly deficient vs the number of graduates.

Due to this fact, a significant portion of DO graduates must do their post-grad training through the ACGME. Even more intriguing is that fully 50~65%, depending upon the records you read, of DO grads choose to do ACGME post-grad training for a variety of reasons, including a common perception that some, not all, DO programs are not of as high a quality as their respective ACGME counterparts. As a gestalt, in the primary care realm, this perception is not too common, but for your specialties (anesth being one of them) this is a common & strongly held belief. Is it true? I have no idea. You hear tons of conjecture on why the programs are & are not on parity - but I know of no one who has gone through both types to be able to honestly compare nor do I know of any controlled, randomized studies to compare them either...so your guess on that question is as valid mine.

militarymd said:

No, if a DO does ACGME post-grad training, their board certification will also be through the ACGME board. As I stated above, if you do not do a DO intern year AND an AOA-sanctioned residency, you cannot be boarded through the AOA. All of the "ship jumpers", including myself, will be boarded through their respective ACGME Board.

The reasonable, rational question becomes: "Why in the hell is there such an excess of DO grads?" My answer: damned good question! Basically, unlike the ACGME where there is a gross excess of post-grad slots which is now populated by IMG grads, the AOA does not tie number of post-grad slots to the approval system for new DO schools. I am not totally familiar with the new school application/approval process, but it focuses more on having a large enough pile of $$ to fund a newly operating school than it does upon need of graduates or corresponding training slots. The perception in the DO-world is that we need many more DOs out there & that there is money to be made by opening new schools - my interpretation, of course - hence the massive growth in DO schools. Personally, I think it is unwise to be flooding the physician market at this time. It is not necessarily true that the excess will naturally populate the underserved urban & rural markets - that is naive.

Now...sorry for the long reply, but there really is no short answer. I hope that this makes things much more clear for those who give a $hit.

oldManDO2009 said:

Personally, I think this is a fantastic suggestion! In fact, I suggested such at a SOMA House of Delegates - manifested a massively polarized response! Just as I suspected it would.

OldManDave said:
Personally, I think this is a fantastic suggestion! In fact, I suggested such at a SOMA House of Delegates - manifested a massively polarized response! Just as I suspected it would.

Actually, some AOA committees are seriously discussing this & I've spoken to a number of AOA residency directors that are strongly in favor of it. I don't forsee it happening in the near future, but it certainly is a possibility.

Thanks for the clarification. I am definitely not as well versed on this subject as you....

oldManDO2009 said:
No, if a DO does ACGME post-grad training, their board certification will also be through the ACGME board. As I stated above, if you do not do a DO intern year AND an AOA-sanctioned residency, you cannot be boarded through the AOA. All of the "ship jumpers", including myself, will be boarded through their respective ACGME Board....

Then why do I have a DO colleague who trained at an ACGME program but is AOA boarded?

militarymd said:

So correct if I'm wrong.

Pretty much dead on. Any problem with that? It has certainly benefitted me. I am board certified. I am a D.O. I am an anesthesiologist. Someone who went to Harvard college, Johns Hopkins medical school, and did a residency at University of Pennsylvania is an M.D., an anesthesiologist and will become board certified. Guess what? Any patient who encounters anesthesiologist A or B will not care! Know what else.....they will both make the same amount of money! (although I know for a fact that due to my work ethic and people skills, I make A LOT more than some of those aforementioned Harvard grads).

The_Sensei said:
Pretty much dead on. Any problem with that? It has certainly benefitted me. I am board certified. I am a D.O. I am an anesthesiologist. Someone who went to Harvard college, Johns Hopkins medical school, and did a residency at University of Pennsylvania is an M.D., an anesthesiologist and will become board certified. Guess what? Any patient who encounters anesthesiologist A or B will not care! Know what else.....they will both make the same amount of money! (although I know for a fact that due to my work ethic and people skills, I make A LOT more than some of those aforementioned Harvard grads).

anim_hail.gif

militarymd said:
Then why do I have a DO colleague who trained at an ACGME program but is AOA boarded?

Because the previous responder doesn't know what he is talking about... Mil,
here is the definitive answer to your question. You may sit for the osteopathic boards if you:

1) did the traditional rotating osteopathic internship OR a traditional allopathic internship that the AOA approves (they always do)

2) do an osteopathic residency OR an allopathic residency that the AOA approves (they always do)

I, for one, took BOTH sets of boards and passed them both.........just wanted to cover all bases. I thought they were both pretty easy really.

militarymd said:

Dude.......although I'm sure you are being facetious, I gotta' know......where do you get all those cool icons?

The_Sensei said:
Dude.......although I'm sure you are being facetious, I gotta' know......where do you get all those cool icons?

They are funny...aren't they?

Just look around at other forums on the internet....they invariably have different smilies....just cut and paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.