Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

need grade advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by princessd3, Aug 17, 2002.

1. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got a C+ in a non-major course that was about African/Middle Eastern Culture. I have the choice at my school to change it into a P (pass), then my gpa would go up a few units. When I submit my transcript what would AMCAS do to the P. How will it be evaluated. Would it make sense to change it to a p if amcas would just change it back to a letter grade form? I don't know..does anyone have any idea?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    go for the P. AMCAS will just call it a P. I'm sure it doesn't look as good as, say, an A-, but big deal. A "C" will not look as good as a P in my opinion.

4. Iron Horse

Iron Horse The luckiest man
    7+ Year Member

I agree with Adcadet -- get the "P" to remove the "C" and it will appear as a "P" per AMCAS. Got that? :)

5. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

What an odd thing your school allows! It takes all the risk out of asking for a grade! What undergrad is this??

6. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    At CUNY you are allowed to file pass/fail for two classes. You may not however file pass/fail for a class within your major and certainly it would not look good to file pass/fail for any of my pre-med classes. With a C+ in a class like African/Asian culture, I saw the opportunity to change it to pass, this way it would not be calculated in my gpa and my gpa would be raise a fraction of a point. I was just wondering if the P would be then changed by AMCAS.

7. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

amcas won't do anything with the p. it will just be listed as a p and won't factor into your gpa. i can't believe they let you change to p/f AFTER you find out your grade!

8. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

9. Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member

what school do you go to, northwestern hair design academy? ;) that's insane that they'll let you change a C+ into a "p" after the grade has already been assigned!!!!!!

10. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

Don't take a C when you can take a P. As long as there is no way of anyone knowing when you decided to go P/NP on that class.

11. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

i wish i had that option, i'd pick up a couple of hundreths of a point

12. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ditto, i'd pick up 0.1 by changing that B- i got in my last semester. Go, change it. Yes, it will look negative to take Pass/no pass in any class. but, a C will look much more negative.

Once I was asking my research prof (who used to be on admiss commitee at WashU) if taking a class pass / no pass was bad. His first reaction was asking what the class was. If it was some important, relevant class (part of the premed reqs, or a relevant upper divis bio) i would be hesitant about filing pass no pass. But for the one you mentioned, go on, get a pass and spare yourself.

Sonya

13. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, we're allowed to switch a class from Pass/D/Fail to a grade, but not the reverse. And you can only change it until 1 week after midterm.

-RA

14. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Most schools do not force you to take 30 odd credits in courses you have no ability to choose. They are NOT electives, so I think it is fair that they do allow you to change 2 courses to a P; furthermore, if it is the school I think she is going to, it should be noted that it was ranked in the top five colleges nationwide for best academic value in this year's The best 345 Colleges by Princeton Review.

15. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yes it was...and may i add ranked #1 for most beautiful college.

16. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I decided to take the P and my gpa improved .4 units...isn't that something.

17. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was going to P 2 cores, but never realized there was a time limit (after a certain amount of credits you know longer have the option) and never got to do it. :mad: