Need Guidance for my Remaining Undergrad Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muncher410

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year junior (my credits from HS put me a year ahead), and I don't know if I am doing enough to prepare myself for med school. I switched my major from psychology to nutritional sciences last semester, and everything has been going well. However, I haven't taken any science classes, except for Psychology. The courses I've taken last year were mainly gen-ed classes. I have taken Calc 1, and got an E in the class (i gave up after failing the 3rd exam). I have earned all A's in my other classes, and my GPA is currently a 3.71.

I know there is no "right way" to get into med school, but I feel like there is more that I should be doing to beef up my resume. I didn't do any extracurriculars my 1st year; Instead, I focused exclusively on my academics. I got a job with ScribeAmerica to help get more exposure in the health care field. I plan on volunteering with some health-related campus organizations, but I don't know which ones yet. I am taking Physiology and Chemistry this semester, as far as science classes go.

Any suggestions on what else I should be doing? Should I retake Calculus? My GPA would be a 4.0 if it wasn't for me failing that class. I would like to apply for medical school one semester after I graduate, but I am not sure if that's possible since I am taking my science classes kind of late. I feel overwhelmed about the whole process and don't really have anyone to turn to advice on how I should proceed, so here I am asking for your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

So "there's no right way to get into med school" but there are requirements you have to fulfill.

You need to take a year's of bio+lab, a year of chem+lab, a year of OChem+Lab, a class of biochem+lab, a year of physics+lab, math (preferably calc+stats), and a year of writing intensive English.

You need volunteering and clinical experience. Clinical volunteering is a safe bet. You probably also want some research.

Retake failed classes, especially if it's a prereq.

So "there's no right way to get into med school" but there are requirements you have to fulfill.

You need to take a year's of bio+lab, a year of chem+lab, a year of OChem+Lab, a class of biochem+lab, a year of physics+lab, math (preferably calc+stats), and a year of writing intensive English.

You need volunteering and clinical experience. Clinical volunteering is a safe bet. You probably also want some research.

Retake failed classes, especially if it's a prereq.
What would be considered
Clinical volunteering? And how much volunteering is considered an appropriate amount of hours for a competitive candidate?

Members don't see this ad :)
What would be considered
Clinical volunteering? And how much volunteering is considered an appropriate amount of hours for a competitive candidate?

The distinguished LizzyM says that "if you are close enough to smell the patient, then it is a clinical experience." Shadowing is clinical (though not volunteering). Scribing, EMT, CNA are all clinical (though often paid). Try looking for free clinics near your area, they often rely on free labor. I'm also volunteering at a local marathon (in the medical section, not in the giving people water section). Check premed clubs at your school. There is no correct number of hours and SDN tends to exaggerate these things, at least 100. If you aren't planning on doing much other clinical non-volunteer experience or nonclinical volunteering, significantly more.

Volunteering long terms at a few hours per week is plenty. Scribing is. Good job.

Nothing helps your app more than good grades and a good mcat. No. Thing.