Need guidance from a CRNA (or student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alpha13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm an aspiring CRNA who would like some guidance on this career path. I have heard (only 2nd hand info from someone who may not be worth taking advice from) that getting into a CRNA program is extremely difficult as there are few training slots and lots of competition. This makes sense since the CRNA program is a 2-3 year program that offers double (maybe triple) the salary of a regular RN upon completion. I'd hate to get a BS in nursing and not advance to the CRNA program as I have no desire to stay as a regular RN. If anyone could adivse me of the competitiveness of getting in, as well as how difficult the program is (I'm wondering what the drop out rate is like) I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks!

Alpha

PS I hope any MDAs reading don't view me as an "enemy", I respect and admire your profession and look forward to working with one of you someday. (though I may not get that chance)

Members don't see this ad.

Alpha13 said:
Hi guys, I'm an aspiring CRNA who would like some guidance on this career path. I have heard (only 2nd hand info from someone who may not be worth taking advice from) that getting into a CRNA program is extremely difficult as there are few training slots and lots of competition. This makes sense since the CRNA program is a 2-3 year program that offers double (maybe triple) the salary of a regular RN upon completion. I'd hate to get a BS in nursing and not advance to the CRNA program as I have no desire to stay as a regular RN. If anyone could adivse me of the competitiveness of getting in, as well as how difficult the program is (I'm wondering what the drop out rate is like) I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks!

Alpha

PS I hope any MDAs reading don't view me as an "enemy", I respect and admire your profession and look forward to working with one of you someday. (though I may not get that chance)

I'm sorry ... but you're asking advice on becoming a CRNA from a "physician" message board? You may want to try asking some CRNA's on their specific message board - http://allnurses.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

In case you haven't noticed from previous posts, this is quite a touchy subject (MD v. CRNA). Good luck with your choices.

coccygodynia said:
I'm sorry ... but you're asking advice on becoming a CRNA from a "physician" message board? You may want to try asking some CRNA's on their specific message board - http://allnurses.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

In case you haven't noticed from previous posts, this is quite a touchy subject (MD v. CRNA). Good luck with your choices.

Agreed. Thanks for the link as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alpha13 said:

Alpha

Does this look like a nursing forum to you?

toughlife said:
Does this look like a nursing forum to you?

Hey, no need to be rude about it. I'm sure the OP made an honest mistake.

Alpha13 said:

)

In a nutshell:

-my CRNA program (Charity Hospital New Orleans/Xavier University) had 450 applicants for 50 seats. Most schools are equally competitive.

-attrition rate was 5%.

-board pass rate on first attempt for my class was 100%, nationally 87%.

-school was essentially three years of non-stop Marine Corps boot camp in clinic (40 hours/week) plus taking 60ish semester hours of graduate level pharmacology, anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, chemistry ... you get the picture.

I wouldn't have the person giving gas at the head of the table formed/shaped any other way, whether anesthesiologist or CRNA. When you're by yourself at 0230 and the brown stuff is hitting the fan big time, you need to have been previously stressed to the max, having been previously proven to be able to keep your cool, focus under pressure, and work the problem (a la Gene Krantz in Apollo 13), not get all caught up in the brown stuff dripping off the walls.

This is a great forum for CRNAs and AAs to keep abreast of professional issues and patient care situations. However, as others have commented, for "chatty" issues which are strictly CRNA-related it might be best to post them elsewhere. Please feel free to PM me if I can shed more light on school and good luck.