Need Guidance on GPR & AGED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalQuestions9

Reaction score
Hello SDN members,

I am in need of some guidance going forward. Currently now in my 4th year of dental school, I have had a roller coaster 3rd year. In the beginning of clinic felt like was going through the motions then as the year progressed felt like I was drowning. It was not until this last year that I felt I made some strides more work that I did etc. I wanted to know if anyone knew any strong GPR programs that they went to where they become more competent got faster and got experience in all fields of dentistry. A program that pushed yall to become better. Is there any program where they place alot of implants, do alot of crowns, and fillings etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Look into the VA programs. I would also try to find one that gives you good experience in endo. You will encounter a lot more patients who needs RCTs over implants so knowing that well will help your productivity.

Hello SDN members,

I am in need of some guidance going forward. Currently now in my 4th year of dental school, I have had a roller coaster 3rd year. In the beginning of clinic felt like was going through the motions then as the year progressed felt like I was drowning. It was not until this last year that I felt I made some strides more work that I did etc. I wanted to know if anyone knew any strong GPR programs that they went to where they become more competent got faster and got experience in all fields of dentistry. A program that pushed yall to become better. Is there any program where they place alot of implants, do alot of crowns, and fillings etc?

ALL OF THEM will help you get experience, speed and competence. (Even the bad ones!)
---IF you want "a lot" of implants, crowns or anything else you will need to look into the specifics of each program. Each one has a personality unto itself based on the location, funding, philosophy and population they serve.

DentalQuestions9, don't feel bad. You are not alone with this feeling. I suspect that all the graduates coming out of DS with the "COVID Curse" would benefit from a GPR/AGED.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It really is dependent on the individual program, in general VA programs allow their residents do experience a lot more due to having "money is no issue" patients
but you can have a very good experience at a non-VA site
and implant experience at VA programs does sometime depend on whether there is an OMS or Perio residency there (some VA programs have their own residents as well as take rotating residents from nearby non-VA programs)

Look into the VA programs. I would also try to find one that gives you good experience in endo. You will encounter a lot more patients who needs RCTs over implants so knowing that well will help your productivity.
Surprisingly my school gives me endo experience I have some molar endos under my belt and entering my fourth year still kind of ify about them tho