Need help adding 1 or 2 more schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DUPH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've asked before for help and it was great. I narrowed down my school choices to 11, but to be on the VERY safe side I want to apply to maybe one or two more.

In terms of my stats, I am a CA resident; I graduated with a biochem degree with a cGPA 3.88 and sGPA 3.9+ at a CSU. I have over 1000 plus hours of research for two different labs and worked as a calculus tutor for my university throughout college. I was also the treasurer of my prepharm club (switched from pharm to dental recently). In terms of shadowing and volunteering, I volunteered at a local elementary school as a tutor for roughly 400+ hrs. For shadowing, I've shadowed 3 different dentists for roughly 110 hours (hope to get this up). I have 3 letters of rec: 1 from a dentist and 2 from my PI's/former science professors.

My dat scores were: 22 AA, 21 TS, 25 PAT, 20 RC, 24 GC, 23 OC, 19 Bio

The schools I am applying to are:

UCSF, UCLA, UOP, USC, Western, Uni. of Colorado, OHSU, UConn, UPenn, Pitt and NYU.

I am currently thinking about applying to:

The Ohio State, UB (not sure how friendly they are with CA residents), and UMinn

What do you guys think? Suggestions on other schools would be great! Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Colorado isn't really friendly toward out of state people. I'm not sure if California is included in their western agreement. I'd check. They take a lot of people from surrounding states but reject a lot of qualified applicants otherwise. Is CSU in Colorado or California? I'd assume if it was Colorado your chances would increase slightly since you went to undergrad in their state.

I'd maybe add Columbia. They'd look highly upon your research, and it's worth a shot with a 22AA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have similar, although slightly less impressive, stats. I'm applying to 10 schools, and, if I can count right, I'd say you are applying to about that. I'd be interesting to hear about your experience interviewing with U. Colorado, but I also think that the UC's might be a bit tough to get into. I might have missed this, but how many pubs do you have, and what author are you?

I have similar, although slightly less impressive, stats. I'm applying to 10 schools, and, if I can count right, I'd say you are applying to about that. I'd be interesting to hear about your experience interviewing with U. Colorado, but I also think that the UC's might be a bit tough to get into. I might have missed this, but how many pubs do you have, and what author are you?

if he doesnt mention any pub chances are he doesnt have any coauthorship pub

spending 500hrs each in a lab is not enough for a pub. a pub coauthorship needs like above 2000 hrs and if you are super lucky

fair darknighzzz--just curious, because my experiences have been a bit different

if he doesnt mention any pub chances are he doesnt have any coauthorship pub

spending 500hrs each in a lab is not enough for a pub. a pub coauthorship needs like above 2000 hrs and if you are super lucky

darknightzzz is right. I don't have any publications. The professor who I spent over a thousand hours of research said he was currently working on a publication (which I would be included in), but just received news that he was going to go on a sabbatical... so yea, might be some time before I ever get a publication

fair darknighzzz--just curious, because my experiences have been a bit different

pullthelevercronk--Do you think being research heavy could balance out some average than average stats (DAT/GPA) at Columbia or any similar schools? OP has better stats than me, but I have a bit more research and I didn't even think about applying to them...

and don't worry DUPH--I had one first author pub that came out a year after I left the lab and then another one that took almost 4 years. Science happens at a strange and unpredictable pace. Congrats either way though!

and don't worry DUPH--I had one first author pub that came out a year after I left the lab and then another one that took almost 4 years. Science happens at a strange and unpredictable pace. Congrats either way though!
thanks. Just out of curiosity which schools did you apply to g_squared? And I'm guessing you're not a traditional applicant?

it depends on the type of research and type of publication. basic research takes monstrously long you can be in the lab for 3 years with no publication but a publication is long intensive and a new discovery.

I heard clinical study pump out a lot of papers every year as they can publish correlation (not just cause and effect like basic science)

DUPH I highly think you do basic science correct? because CSU does not have a lot of clinical study stuff. then I say you should ask your PI about it because when the paper i got coauthorship on was said to be done. It took literally 2 years to be finally published.

pullthelevercronk--Do you think being research heavy could balance out some average than average stats (DAT/GPA) at Columbia or any similar schools? OP has better stats than me, but I have a bit more research and I didn't even think about applying to them...

not likely, research heavy experience definitely help but can't carry your average stats and GPA. your GPA and DAT must be on par with the school average first 21-22AA and 3.6-3.7 GPA to be safe. dental schools do not emphasize on publication heavily because I see people with a bit above average stats get in provided their EC is diverse and rich.

darknighzzz- I suppose that is good. My GPA and DAT are within those ranges, although somewhat on the lower side. I still think Columbia is a reach, and I don't think I'll include it for that reason.

DUPH--you are correct in assumming I am a non-trad applicant.

Here are the schools (alphabetic order-by state):

U. Colorado School of Dental Medicine CO
The University of Iowa College of Dentistry & Dental Clinics IA
University of Indiana School of Dentistry IN
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry MN
University of Michigan School of Dentistry MI
Creighton University School of Dentistry NE
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry/OHSU OR

In retrospect, I think I may have gone a bit state school heavy and neglected the privates. I was purely going off of stats in the ADEA guidebook and other forum members/personal experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
darknighzzz- I suppose that is good. My GPA and DAT are within those ranges, although somewhat on the lower side. I still think Columbia is a reach, and I don't think I'll include it for that reason.

DUPH--you are correct in assumming I am a non-trad applicant.

Here are the schools (alphabetic order-by state):

U. Colorado School of Dental Medicine CO
The University of Iowa College of Dentistry & Dental Clinics IA
University of Indiana School of Dentistry IN
University of Minnesota School of Dentistry MN
University of Michigan School of Dentistry MI
Creighton University School of Dentistry NE
Ohio State School of Dentistry OH
Oregon Health & Science University School of Dentistry/OHSU OR
Marquette University School of Dentistry WI

In retrospect, I think I may have gone a bit state school heavy and neglected the privates. I was purely going off of stats in the ADEA guidebook and other forum members/personal experience.

nice list. yea, should try and go for some private schools

any particular ones you have in mind? the midwesterns scared me away with the price tags...
PS--I was also thinking UConn for the ISAAY policy, but it seems like there are a lot of students failing or repeating first year...

any particular ones you have in mind? the midwesterns scared me away with the price tags...
PS--I was also thinking UConn for the ISAAY policy, but it seems like there are a lot of students failing or repeating first year...

Most of the private schools are going to have similar pricetags unfortunately. I would add Creighton for sure, they like CA residents for some reason and it's "cheep" for an out of state school/private school.

Most of the private schools are going to have similar pricetags unfortunately. I would add Creighton for sure, they like CA residents for some reason and it's "cheep" for an out of state school/private school.

isn't creighton a religious school?

isn't creighton a religious school?

It is a Catholic school, but why would that hold you back? I get not applying to Loma because of their requirements, but you won't experience anything like that at Creighton.

CA is the most populous state, maybe that's it.