Need help/advice with my study plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Road2Success

Village drunk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished my first semester of university. My overall science gpa was 2.8 >.>
I feel like my study habit is too time consuming and I need help revising it.

Basically id read the book over and over again trying to understand concepts then combine those with lecture notes.

I don't seem too understand the process of studying either. I can't seem too concentrate for more than 15 mins. I also crammed before the exam.

How many hours should i spend studying a day? and how many days before a exam?

Also how do you guys study and do you just re read it over and over it until its click or what?

How do you check you actually learned the stuff too?

If anyone could help answer these questions. I'd really appreciate it. Please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

One thing that I found helpful when transitioning to college was reading a chapter only once but with detailed notes. Also, try some of the in book questions, the ones at the end of each section, to make sure you understand the concepts as you read. This worked for Biology.

How I study depends on what exam I'm studying for. For biochemistry, I reviewed all my hand written notes 5 days before the exam. I never read the textbook unless I need to go more in depth. Then on the last day before the exam, I take any available practice tests. I usually study all day or until I get tired.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me personally, the process of taking notes was all that the notes were good for - I rarely read them afterwards. In fact, my lecture notes for science classes weren't much help for the exam. What really helped me was just listening in lecture, then reading the textbook (along with lecture slides, if available) and taking notes (handwritten, with pictures) from these latter sources rather than relying on lectures. If I'm not too crammed for other classes, I also do the problems at the end of the chapter. The key was doing all this in a library rather than at home, where my attention span is also around 15 mins.

When it came time for the test, I sometimes reviewed the handwritten notes, but more often they were already ingrained in my brain. I understand this strategy doesn't work well for everyone, but setting my own pace was the only sure way to get every concept in my head. I think one thing everyone can agree on is placing yourself in an environment that minimizes your distractions, such as one where everyone else is studying/shunning you for going on facebook.

You need to adjust your study habits to focus less on the book, more on the lecture, in my opinion. I know every single professor at my school has explicitly stated that only the stuff they say can/will be tested. The book is to be used as a reference and a first source to get questions answered. If you school has a similar policy and lecture recording, I'd shift away from constant book reading and focus more on the details of the lecture.

I do agree with note taking: for me, it's the process, and the exposure that matters. I take handwritten notes and then retype them every week into a review sheet, adding important diagrams, that is (usually) not looked at again until midterms time (although I would suggest you briefly re-read it next week after making the current week's review sheet.)

Additionally, for some classes, reading will not be sufficient - I'm thinking of problem-based classes like Physics here. I know a few people that did problem after problem after problem and got As easy-peasy, and a few people who didn't do any practice problems and didn't do so hot. Personally, that was my only real exam prep: hours in the library, a week or so before the final, going over all the suggested problems from the professor and then going over problems with a similar content to the ones I messed up.

This goes right along with practice exams. Do them. Do lots of them. Analyze your mistakes (I usually keep a sheet for problem-based exams that will spell out exactly what I messed up for every problem, and then keep it beside me as I do the next one. I find it helps me avoid the silly errors and eventually, I never even think of making the same mistake.)

If your "15-minute attention span" is in the library, perhaps try studying at home? I know I focus best at my kitchen table with my iPod in. Much more quiet, fewer distractions (I live alone, though, so YMMV.).

I try to read the book twice usually. The first time I read the chapters needed all the way through. The second time I take notes on flash cards while going through the chapters. I also learn very well by just writing things out. Even if I have printed out PPs. I take notes on those during class and then write everything down in a separate notebook.

If your "15-minute attention span" is in the library, perhaps try studying at home? I know I focus best at my kitchen table with my iPod in. Much more quiet, fewer distractions (I live alone, though, so YMMV.).

I work best in my dorm. I also listen to my music the whole time or have a show on while studying. I always try to find something to distract me while it's quiet and it really irritates me. If I have something else on, I don't really pay attention to it, but it helps me pay attention to studying. I'm not sure how that works, but it does.

I also associate some songs with certain subjects. While I'm taking a test, I sing some songs in my head and they help me remember some stuff.