Need help choosing a class!!!!! ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FareedTareen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Fairly pointless.

Prerequisites are generally advised to be taken at universities over CC anyways. Be normal and enjoy high school.

You could take other gen ed classes (English, calculus etc) then take the prereqs at a 4 year school over the summer and then only have to take electives/upper level science when you start college.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're really ambitious, take non-prerequisite general education classes, go to university, take summer courses, graduate in three years, and apply one year earlier than everyone else.

I disagree with the previous posts...

I took Bio 1 my senior year of high school so that it counted for college credit. I then took all of the other prerequisites at a CC except for organic chemistry I and II. I got in to my top choice (20 DAT).

It seems to me that you have a great opportunity to get ahead of all (at least most) of us. I wish I could have taken all college courses my last two years of high school. I am not saying this is definitely what you should do, but here is what I would do if I found myself in your shoes:

Take as many prerequisites as you can while you are in high school. This could potentially save you a ton of money and time. Get an A in every class you take. Next, when you graduate high school/finish your first two years of college, go to a 4 year university and take some higher level science classes and make sure you do very well in these as well. I would probably take organic chemistry at a 4 year as this could be a good "proving ground" for you (I doubt your high school would even offer it anyways). As soon as you finish for prerequisites, study very hard for the DAT and take it the moment you are ready. Then APPLY! This should be after your first year of college at the 4 year!

This may not be the path for a lot of people, but I would have loved this option. Others may tell you that you don't want to miss out on the extra years of undergrad and what-not; this may be true for you, but that is a decision YOU need to make.

Good luck! Looks to me like you have an awesome opportunity!

Makes sense, thank you! Will keep it in consideration.

I agree! Enjoy high school and then move on to enjoy a great college experience. Your plan is all academic....what about the social aspect of school?

Extracurriculars have never been a problem. I was actually too focused on being social my first few years of high school.

I have an option of taking Geology or Astronomy and still graduate with a Associates in Science.

Extracurriculars have never been a problem. I was actually too focused on being social my first few years of high school.

I have an option of taking Geology or Astronomy and still graduate with a Associates in Science.

Pointless classes that I wouldn't have ever taken in undergrad. for neither curiosity's sake nor for getting into dental school and graduating with BS in Biology. Being CC makes it even less appealing.

If you really want to do this go ahead and do it. Just have some solid reasons as to why you think it's worth it. Any credentials lower than a BS is insignificant for both medical and dental schools. If I were you, I'd just take non-prerequisites/general education courses that would transfer to my university of choice to save money and graduate early.

Take English and history in High school.

I did take AP Bio/AP Chem/AP physics at high school so when I came to college, I knocked out all the intro science course.
However, the problem came with when I have to take upper science class.

Generally, university professors are pretty ignorance about AP classes and they usually teach their upper science classes base off from whatever the intro science classes taught in that univeristy.

SO when I was taking OChem, prof. always referred back to Gen chem professor's teaching style (such as jokes and terms he uses or examples other prof. uses) so It was really confusing for me. Also if you take intro science courses - they are easy - it is a good GPA booster for freshmen year.

Makes sense. Only reason why I have to take one of those science classes is because I'm planning on graduating with an associates in science and they're paying for the enrollment of the class.

It's good that you have ambitions at this early stage. If your ultimate goal is to get in to dental school a) you don't need to get an associate, there for you don't need to take class and who don't need to take astronomy or geology. I agree with UCSFx2017. Even if I get paid to those classes, I wouldn't take it. Having AS compared to B.A. or B.S. is pointless. A.S.+B.A/B.S. vs B.A./B.S.? same thing to adcoms. People getting B.A./B.S. already have the amount of classes needed to get A.S. Same advice, knock down only G.E.s at CC. Don 't get A.S. to impress adcoms.
When I took a class at CC, I met this guy (17yrs old), who had finished biochem1 (all other prereqs with As), now that is impressive at least to me.
It's admirable that you are dedicated this early, but don't take unnecessary steps. If you have free time, explore about life. There are more things in life than socializing, planning for future
Good luck

Taking a couple prereqs at the CC level wont kill you. As long as you get A's and knock the DAT out of the park you will be just fine.

It sounds like you are dead set on this, good job on being ambitious!! To be honest, i would actually take Physics 1 and 2 at the CC level. Physics is not on the DAT and you won't use it for dental school. If it is easier at a CC, save yourself the headache. Then take the rest of your sciences at a 4 year.

Congrats on being so ambitious. However, i would caution you... if you start to get a bunch of C's and B's in this program, DROP out of it and finish HS normal. If you get a bunch of low grades now, it will come to haunt you later.

Thank you for all the advice. Last thing I wanted to do was to go into this without any background knowledge. The reason I'm in this program to be honest is the freedom. I've thankfully been able to balance all aspects of my life to this day, just wanted to take things into my own hands rather than just waiting my turn.

Once again, thank you for all the replies.