Need help choosing a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Straight Cali

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone,
Thanks in advance for your help (and I apologize for the obnoxious nature of this post). So, I just got off of the UCSD acceptable list, which I'm very happy but also conflicted about. I was all set on going to Vanderbilt (faculty, students, and facilities are all first rate) but am now torn. Some issues that I was hoping people could address regarding UCSD:
  • Gunner/cut-throat reputation; although i hear that its improving with the new dean
  • Quality of life
  • Does research prowess overshadow clinical training?
I should also mention that I'm from/love SoCal and would save a ton of money by attending UCSD, both in terms of tuition and moving expenses. I'd also like to do my residency somewhere in Cali. Thanks again for any help.
 
PM lord_jeebus, UCSD Class of 2008. He might be a little busy prepping for graduation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd go with UCSD, to help with your Cali residency, to save the money, and to be near your family. Vandy is a great school, but so is UCSD, and I feel like debt is ignored far too often in these types of decisions.

That said - if you want to go into academics or a super-competitive specialty, then it might be worth it to invest in Vandy. Having lived there for four years, I can tell you Nashville is great and you wouldn't regret it.