Need Help Choosing Practicum Placement Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naruto1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends! I am new to the thread and joined to get some help deciding between a more specialized practicum vs. general practicum in my PhD.

Typically, is it recommended to start with general practicums first and then specialize (spending 1-year doing assessments and ABA intervention with children with autism)? I've received mixed advice - some saying go general then specialize and others saying experience with autism is an asset and to worry about the breadth of experience later (since I will have 3-4 more practicum opportunities after this one).

What do you all think? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are looking at something more specialized, like neuro, a generalist experience seems to be a better choice. I have had tons of opportunities to work with folks on the spectrum through generalist positions, so you probably wont lack that. Also, folks tend to give those clients to practicum students and ABA or MSW clinicians later on. You will have time to specialize...

Reactions: 1 user
Hello friends! I am new to the thread and joined to get some help deciding between a more specialized practicum vs. general practicum in my PhD.

Typically, is it recommended to start with general practicums first and then specialize (spending 1-year doing assessments and ABA intervention with children with autism)? I've received mixed advice - some saying go general then specialize and others saying experience with autism is an asset and to worry about the breadth of experience later (since I will have 3-4 more practicum opportunities after this one).

What do you all think? Thanks for the help!

In terms of developmental level, doing a general practicum first is probably best, but only if you know you will have a chance to get that specialized experience in the future. If this might be your only chance to get that experience, and it's something you really want, go for it! Just my 2 cents :).

Reactions: 1 users