need help deciding between schools !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mke520

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i've been accepted to LMU-DCOM and VCOM-Carolina Campus and cannot decide between the two schools. below is a list of the things that i'm trying to base my decision off of and if there is anything else i should consider or if there is any additional info you could give me about each school that would be greatly appreciated.

1) curriculum: VCOM (loved the integrated/systems-based approach)
2) location: equal (like LMU but maybe a bit too rural and Spartanburg seems ok but a bit sketchy in some areas)
3) faculty: equal (i don't know much about either, so if anyone could help in this area that would be great!!)
4) facilities: LMU (LMU anatomy and OMM facilities are a little nicer, but not by much)
5) housing: VCOM (much more options that LMU)
6) mission work opportunities: VCOM (this is a big plus in my book for VCOM over LMU)
7) overall "feel" of the school: LMU slightly (LMU seems to be a little bit more relaxed or easy going that VCOM which has a dress code/mandatory attendance, which to me isn't a big deal but worth considering)

any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
well VCOM is slightly less expensive (about 4,000 a year) but nothing significant though...LMU is a very solid school but so is VCOM and that's why it's such a hard decision and why i'm hoping someone can fill me in with some extra "knowledge" so i can make a more accurate decision...thank you for your help so far

I'd call $16,000 (with interest, accumulated over 4-7 years close to $20,000) significant.
Tuition and clinical rotations/residency should be your major determinants.

Which area can you see yourself living and being happiest for the next 4 years? Think long and hard about that and go with it.

As an aside, every time I see one of these threads, I'm waiting for the inevitable "Help me choose:LUCOM or PCOM!!!" troll.

I interviewed at both of these schools and I liked VCOM more for several reasons.
1. LMU had one of the highest 1st year remediation rates among DO schools, while VCOM had one of the lowest.
2. VCOM had one of the lowerst 4 year attrition rates of all DO schools (only around 7%)
3. The 225+ class size at LMU seemed unattractive and add to that the other health professions students. Some of those buildings were packed at LMU. VCOM is a stand alone school for medical students only and has a smaller class size.
4. VCOM was associated with a better undergraduate institution and was in a more accessible location
5. I prefered the curriculum at VCOM and liked the idea of small group OMM.

I do agree that LMU had nicer facilities and was located in a more geographically beautiful location. I just feel that VCOM did a better job of keeping their students happy and keeping them around for 4 years, not more (remediation) or less (drop outs). I will not be attending either school, but I would have chosen VCOM if I had to choose between the two.

thank you for that info...that was some great advice and i'll take that into consideration BIG time...the more i think about it, the more VCOM seems like the better choice

I interviewed at both of these schools and I liked VCOM more for several reasons.
1. LMU had one of the highest 1st year remediation rates among DO schools, while VCOM had one of the lowest.
2. VCOM had one of the lowerst 4 year attrition rates of all DO schools (only around 7%)
3. The 225+ class size at LMU seemed unattractive and add to that the other health professions students. Some of those buildings were packed at LMU. VCOM is a stand alone school for medical students only and has a smaller class size.
4. VCOM was associated with a better undergraduate institution and was in a more accessible location
5. I prefered the curriculum at VCOM and liked the idea of small group OMM.

I do agree that LMU had nicer facilities and was located in a more geographically beautiful location. I just feel that VCOM did a better job of keeping their students happy and keeping them around for 4 years, not more (remediation) or less (drop outs). I will not be attending either school, but I would have chosen VCOM if I had to choose between the two.

Are attrition rates really that high? It's never something I've looked into. That's shocking if 7% is considered low.

Are attrition rates really that high? It's never something I've looked into. That's shocking if 7% is considered low.
I appologize. You are completely right. I just looked back into the VCOM annual report and their reported attrition rate is actually 4%. I then searched the national average and it only 2.5-3.5%, depending on the year. I remember they mentioned that rate at my interview which made me think it was low, but it really is not.

Also, I did not read the OP's first post carefully. I actually don't know much about the Carolina campus, but I did like VCOM-VC. Nevertheless, my advice is not longer as useful.

And the first year remediation rate may have been an anomaly at LMU, due to the rapid increase in class size. Some great schools like KCOM also had a high remediation rate. Maybe LMU can become more selective as medical school admission becomes more competitive and that rate will likely decrease.

Let me just add one more thing, because in giving my opinion, I may have been too partial in analyzing LMU. I actually did enjoy interviewing at this school and it had many good things going for it. The main reason I had concerns about LMU was actually because of the attitude of other students. I was not given an official figure on things like attrition or remediation, but the tour guides gave anecdotal evidence about losing a good number of classmates from M1, which caused me to investigate further. I did find that 15 students remediated in 2013, but this is after the class increased its size to 225, which is not a huge percentage, but 15 people is alarming.
Ultimately I think a class size that is this large poses a problem because losing students along the way becomes a statistical probability. I see the same problem at a school like NYCOM which starts with 315 students and will graduate under 270. I fear that these school cannot take an individualistic approach to retain their students because of the sheer number. Is class size not one of the biggest complaints against Caribbean schools?

Let me just add one more thing, because in giving my opinion, I may have been too partial in analyzing LMU. I actually did enjoy interviewing at this school and it had many good things going for it. The main reason I had concerns about LMU was actually because of the attitude of other students. I was not given an official figure on things like attrition or remediation, but the tour guides gave anecdotal evidence about losing a good number of classmates from M1, which caused me to investigate further. I did find that 15 students remediated in 2013, but this is after the class increased its size to 225, which is not a huge percentage, but 15 people is alarming.
Ultimately I think a class size that is this large poses a problem because losing students along the way becomes a statistical probability. I see the same problem at a school like NYCOM which starts with 315 students and will graduate under 270. I fear that these school cannot take an individualistic approach to retain their students because of the sheer number. Is class size not one of the biggest complaints against Caribbean schools?

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but during my recent interview at LMU-DCOM, I asked about their large class size. The student ambassador told me that to combat this large class, DCOM broke down the entering classes into sub colleges, Hogwarts style. Each college consisted of 30 or so students with faculty and advisors assigned to each one.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but during my recent interview at LMU-DCOM, I asked about their large class size. The student ambassador told me that to combat this large class, DCOM broke down the entering classes into sub colleges, Hogwarts style. Each college consisted of 30 or so students with faculty and advisors assigned to each one.

really? that sounds pretty weird, not sure if i'd like that

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1393314555.573326.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
VCOM has mandatory lecture, a dress code, and doesn't even have that good of an agreement for rotations at Spartanburg General. Their students are discouraged from shadowing there during the year (wtf?). There's no food inside the school besides cheap vending. I'd go LMU.

When I interviewed at vcom-va 5 years ago, I will always remember the dean bragging about how he just bought his second plane. Made me think vcom was all about the money after that. I know it's kind of an irrational thought, but I don't think I'll ever let it go.

Reactions: 1 user