Need help deciding on PsyD Programs!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookin4psydinfo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got into Pace's School-Clinical PsyD, Yeshiva School-Clinical PsyD and St Johns School PsyD. I didnt get a very good feeling from the facilities and the location of Yeshiva when I went on my interview. I really liked St Johns and Pace was pretty good too. Pace's location is the best right in Manhattan and I like that its School and Clinical over St Johns which is just School, but Im very torn which school to go to. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!! Any help???

Members don't see this ad.

So I got into Pace's School-Clinical PsyD, Yeshiva School-Clinical PsyD and St Johns School PsyD. I didnt get a very good feeling from the facilities and the location of Yeshiva when I went on my interview. I really liked St Johns and Pace was pretty good too. Pace's location is the best right in Manhattan and I like that its School and Clinical over St Johns which is just School, but Im very torn which school to go to. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO!! Any help???

First, I was once told by a very well known clinical psychology professor that programs which offer a dual degree (i.e. clinical and school) really do not have time to teach their students everything which ought to be covered in either area (due to time) and as a result make major sacrifices. Although that was that professor's opinion, I agree that School Psychology and Clinical Psychology are in fact different areas. You may disagree.

It sound as if you already have negative feelings about Yeshiva's program, take them out of the running.

Any funding issues or research issues which could help you decide?

Pace's faculty is warm and I'm sure can help you nurture your interests in the field. It is a doctoral program, so no one holds your hand...you have to be your own advocate and be proactive in your education. The clinical focus from the combined program will give you more options, plus you have the option to migrate towards the foci you prefer (i.e. school or clinical) when choosing your extern/internships

Pace and St. John's both have excellent reputations.

I agree with GiantSteps, perhaps funding can help you make your final decision. I don't think Yeshiva offers comparable funding (if any).

Good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
This really helps a lot. I dont think there will be any funding help from Yeshiva or Pace but I think that I am leaning towards Pace because of the lower tuition, nicer facilities, and better location. As long as they have the same or a similar reputation (which is mainly what I am trying to find out), I think Pace is the better choice.

Isn't St. John's still not accreditated? I nearly went to St. John's for undergrad. Good school, not the best of locations but it's close enough to the city.

Pace definitely has the best location, but SJU has the name....

SJU isnt accredited by the APA but is by NASP. I have spoken to some school psychologists who either went to St Johns or said that St Johns has a very good reputation. I am trying to figure out how much APA accreditation matters here...

Well I'd say it matters, definitely.
But, according to APA.org the School Psychology program at SJU applied for it about a year ago...so it may not even be an issue since approval is probably pending.

Well I'd say it matters, definitely.
But, according to APA.org the School Psychology program at SJU applied for it about a year ago...so it may not even be an issue since approval is probably pending.

I wouldn't count on it. I know of another clinical program that was "working on" & had applied for APA accreditation. They still don't have it and the first time I looked at them was 5+ years ago, but they still claim to be in "pending" status.