Need help deciding on SMP/ Master's Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bayareapremed24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to 3 programs and I am having trouble deciding between the 3.

A little about me:

UC grad with gpa 3.0- 3.5 range
MCAT score in the high 20's
2+ years research
2+ years hospital volunteer work
2+ years leadership experience

Accepted:

USC Master's in Global Medicine

Pros:
  • location would provide me with proximity to support from family and friends and is cheaper then boston (not so sure about north chicago)
  • the ability to study healthcare systems abroad
  • global medicine is something that interests me and could give me a viewpoint that can differentiate me from other applicants
  • smaller class size which would give me more attention
  • alum and administration seem very helpful when it comes to helping with med school apps and providing job and research opportunities (seem like a family)
Cons:
  • no linkage guarantee- not a true smp
  • slightly newer program so I don't know how respected it is with adcoms
  • don't provide a list of medical schools accepted or percentage of getting into a medical school which kind of scares me
  • no mcat prep
  • gap year

BU MAMS

Pros:
  • well respected with 70% of graduates have gotten in to a medical school
  • know people that have actually gone through this program and have gotten accepted to medical school
  • research option- chances to get published and add to med school app
  • mcat prep
Cons:
  • location- cost of living in Boston, weather, far from home and don't know anyone in the area which might cause me to be somewhat unhappy during this program
  • 2 years- 1 studying, 1 researching (serve as a gap year)
  • no major linkage (only get a put into a diff applicant pool)

RFU Biomedical Sciences

Pros:
  • one year with possibility of spring interview for matriculation into medical school the following fall
  • wouldn't have to retake MCAT if matriculating to CMS
  • location- have family in the area- support
  • no gap year
  • 50 percent get into CMS (as so I've heard)
Cons:
  • if unsuccessful in matriculating to CMS, i don't know how much weight this degree would carry in applications as compared with the other 2
  • no research opportunities
  • would have to fill out AMCAS within these next weeks which I am unprepared for and if I don't get into CMS or any medical school applying again would hurt my chances of getting in
  • not as well known as the other 2 programs

Waitlisted:
Georgetown SMP- not really banking on this

Still Waiting On:
Tufts MS - one of my tops and would basically replace BU just b.c it is a smaller class size and has a bigger matriculation rate.

Any feedback would be really appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I'd pick RFU. Your MCAT is fairly low for MD, but RFU will forgive that granted a good SMP performance. If you really wanna go to med school, go to RFU.