Need help deciding.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreeRadicals

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I need help deciding between a biology major at Hofstra University, a biology major at Stony Brook University, and the 7 year b.s. / d.o. at NYIT. Which do you guys prefer? (Note: Hofstra and SBU both have same costs (20k a year), whereas the 7 year program at NYIT cost around 35k a year.) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I need help deciding between a biology major at Hofstra University, a biology major at Stony Brook University, and the 7 year b.s. / d.o. at NYIT. Which do you guys prefer? (Note: Hofstra and SBU both have same costs (20k a year), whereas the 7 year program at NYIT cost around 35k a year.) Thanks!

Forgive my uninformed response here, but I'll just comment based on my current knowledge. I've actually been trying to push my younger sister, who aspires to be a physician one day, to apply to bs/do and bs/md programs. Avoiding the MCAT, the prep work and costs necessary for it, the fear and emotional roller coaster of the application cycle itself, along with it's costs would be amazing. I know nothing about any of the programs you listed though so I'd take everything i say with a grain of salt. (I'm mostly just going to be commenting on my thoughts of a standard bs program vs bs/do)

However, there are some cons as well, if you're not 100% sure you want to be a physician already then I'd be wary of the 7 year program as you may change your mind throughout your college years. Also if you're the type of person that's already set on becoming a doctor this early in life and think you'll do very well and adapt to college well immediately, you're kind of cutting out your chances as attending a different medical school. I'd personally be happy to go anywhere as of right now so i'd choose the 7 year route. But given you're a completely different person than me and still have an opportunity to end up anywhere you please, it is restricting to dedicate yourself to the same program for 7 years.

But you've probably already done your research and have looked internally into how you'd feel at either program. So my 2 cents are probably worth slim to none, best of luck and I hope somebody more informed than myself comes a long and comments!

-Sincerely a junior pre-med who is currently sh***ng himself right now

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Seems like the consensus is that 120 credits in 3 years is rough, and i could imagine it would be. However that is an extra 45k( (35-20)x3 years undergrad), so if cost is an issue add that to the list of cons.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the response and input.

Reactions: 1 user