Need Help Finding Leadership or Not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mreyno18

Reaction score
I just finished my sophomore year and I am worried as I don't have a lot of leadership. I applied for one club position, but didn't end up getting it. I am currently a leader in a campus ministry. I've been a leader for a year and will continue throughout the next 2 years. Basically, I lead a small group of 15 other college women each week, planning the topics/questions/etc. and I also meet with each freshmen in my small group a few of times throughout their first year to support them and help them through anything. I also assist the ministry by promoting the ministry at promo tables, meeting for an hour before each weekly service to pray beforehand with a team and also pray for people during service. We also have leader rallies each month and a yearly leadership retreat.

Besides that, I don't have a lot of extra time in my schedule, because I do a lot of other activities, volunteering, and am a NCAA D2 cross country and track athlete. I included my basic stats below (what I will have at the time of my AMCAS application next summer):
  • GPA: 3.98
  • MCAT: Taking in August
  • Clinical Volunteering: 415 hours (Nursing Home, Hospital, Hospice, Free Clinic)
  • Nonclinical Volunteering: 260 hours (Boys and Girls Club, YMCA, Animal Shelter)
  • 2 Individual Undergrad Research Projects: 240 hours (120 hours of basic microbiology and 120 hours of medical research)
  • 2 Research Poster Presentations
  • On campus involvement: Pre-Medicine Club, Be The Match, and Colleges Against Cancer
  • University of Honors Program and active member in the University Honors Student Association
  • Mortar Board Honors Society Member
  • NCAA DII Cross Country and Track and Field and active member in the Student Athlete Advisory Committee
  • Campus Ministry Leadership + 2 Mission Trips
  • Clinical Experience / Job: PCA (600 hours)
  • Hopefully doing a Medical Research / Observation Summer Internship in 2021 (2020 got cancelled)
  • Worked as a Camp Counselor in summer 2019
  • Physician Shadowing: 200 hours
  • Chemistry Tutor: 85 hours
  • Undergraduate TA: 100 hours

So basically my overall question is: Since I am aiming high and want to attend a top-tier medical school, do I need to find more leadership? And if so how would you guys suggest going about this, since my schedule is pretty much completely booked as of now?

Members don't see this ad.

Your leadership is fine. You are leading peers in a group activity. Be sure to also have something to demonstrate teamwork.

"Be the Match" is dear to my heart and I wish you much success. Those who match truly give the gift of hope and life to a stranger in need. It is really putting your ministry into action. (No greater love and all that....)

Reactions: 1 user
Keep doing your ministry leadership--it sounds great!

I just finished my sophomore year and I am worried as I don't have a lot of leadership. I applied for one club position, but didn't end up getting it. I am currently a leader in a campus ministry. I've been a leader for a year and will continue throughout the next 2 years. Basically, I lead a small group of 15 other college women each week, planning the topics/questions/etc. and I also meet with each freshmen in my small group a few of times throughout their first year to support them and help them through anything. I also assist the ministry by promoting the ministry at promo tables, meeting for an hour before each weekly service to pray beforehand with a team and also pray for people during service. We also have leader rallies each month and a yearly leadership retreat.

Besides that, I don't have a lot of extra time in my schedule, because I do a lot of other activities, volunteering, and am a NCAA D2 cross country and track athlete. I included my basic stats below (what I will have at the time of my AMCAS application next summer):
  • GPA: 3.98
  • MCAT: Taking in August
  • Clinical Volunteering: 415 hours (Nursing Home, Hospital, Hospice, Free Clinic)
  • Nonclinical Volunteering: 260 hours (Boys and Girls Club, YMCA, Animal Shelter)
  • 2 Individual Undergrad Research Projects: 240 hours (120 hours of basic microbiology and 120 hours of medical research)
  • 2 Research Poster Presentations
  • On campus involvement: Pre-Medicine Club, Be The Match, and Colleges Against Cancer
  • University of Honors Program and active member in the University Honors Student Association
  • Mortar Board Honors Society Member
  • NCAA DII Cross Country and Track and Field and active member in the Student Athlete Advisory Committee
  • Campus Ministry Leadership + 2 Mission Trips
  • Clinical Experience / Job: PCA (600 hours)
  • Hopefully doing a Medical Research / Observation Summer Internship in 2021 (2020 got cancelled)
  • Worked as a Camp Counselor in summer 2019
  • Physician Shadowing: 200 hours
  • Chemistry Tutor: 85 hours
  • Undergraduate TA: 100 hours

So basically my overall question is: Since I am aiming high and want to attend a top-tier medical school, do I need to find more leadership? And if so how would you guys suggest going about this, since my schedule is pretty much completely booked as of now?
The key is quality, not quantity. You are in terrific shape, and will be totally good to go assuming your MCAT is consistent with your GPA. Plus, schools tend to really love athletes!!! :) You are going to have several great options when the time comes.