Apr 23, 2020
Hello, I am taking the MCAT in August and I have been studying, but I'm not sure how I should keep studying from here. I started with a diagnostic exam of 492.

Kaplan 7: 6/11: 123/126/126/126 (501)

Altius 1: 6/18: 126/124/126/130 (506)

Altius 5: 6/25: 127/125/126/129 (507)

My goal is 512 minumum, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I go over my exams to see what my mistakes were, I have the AAMC banks/exams that I'm going to start early-mid July, I have 8 more Altius exams, use Anki, and I'm working on UPlanet as well.

I seem to be consistently stuck at 126 on B/B and I'm not sure how I need to improve. Some of my mistakes are content, but others are not understanding the passage.

My CARS score is due to reasoning within the text. 10/16 questions I missed last exam were due to this, how do I fix this? Or any other advice?

I'm also open to any other advice for the other sections or just support in general. I'm getting really stressed about this I don't have a friend or advisor for the MCAT who can help me on this, so help me out please! Thank you!

Mar 14, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello, I am taking the MCAT in August and I have been studying, but I'm not sure how I should keep studying from here. I started with a diagnostic exam of 492.

Kaplan 7: 6/11: 123/126/126/126 (501)

Altius 1: 6/18: 126/124/126/130 (506)

Altius 5: 6/25: 127/125/126/129 (507)

My goal is 512 minumum, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I go over my exams to see what my mistakes were, I have the AAMC banks/exams that I'm going to start early-mid July, I have 8 more Altius exams, use Anki, and I'm working on UPlanet as well.

I seem to be consistently stuck at 126 on B/B and I'm not sure how I need to improve. Some of my mistakes are content, but others are not understanding the passage.

My CARS score is due to reasoning within the text. 10/16 questions I missed last exam were due to this, how do I fix this? Or any other advice?

I'm also open to any other advice for the other sections or just support in general. I'm getting really stressed about this I don't have a friend or advisor for the MCAT who can help me on this, so help me out please! Thank you!
My advice would be not to freak out until you at least take the AAMC sample exam, because the third party exams are deflated in order to scare you into buying help from them. CARS is the most difficult to improve in a short period of time, since it tests reading, comprehension and reasoning skills that are built over a long period of time. Even so, third parties just don't accurately replicate how the real thing will go, so, take the tests for practice, but ignore the scores.

507 on Altius is in range for a 512 on the real thing, and you have over a month to go, so I think you are probably fine. Come back after you take one AAMC exam, and we can reassess if you aren't close to 512 then. Good luck!!!

Feb 5, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
First of all, that’s a huge improvement from a 492 on your diagnostic, which is no easy feat. I know nothing about Kaplan FL’s, but I know a lot about Altius FL’s. In my case, Altius CARS and P/S felt very different from AAMC materials. However, it concerns me that you’re struggling with Altius C/P and B/B because I felt that their C/P and B/B were spot on. In fact, I averaged 131 and 130 on Altius C/P and B/B, respectively, and I got 131 and 130 for each section on the actual MCAT. Your scores show me that you’re still lacking on the definitions. Analyze your mistakes and make sure to review so that you feel 100% confident about the concepts you missed. With thorough review and analysis, I’m sure you’ll achieve 512+ on the test.

About the Ads