Need help- How easy to find a PGY-3 Family medicine spot transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drvinayshah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:Presently I am a PGY-2 resident in family medicine

There may be a situation where I may have to transfer to another city next year. I would like to know how easy/difficult it is to transfer to another program and how would I find such a spot

Thank you so much for your help

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I understand, it is not easy to transfer to a PGY 3 position because there is a certain amount of time that needs to be spent in a residency program and 1 year is not enough time. You might have to repeat some rotations. I don't know the exact amount of time needed though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Real, reeeal not easy.

Fight it if you can.

:confused:Presently I am a PGY-2 resident in family medicine

There may be a situation where I may have to transfer to another city next year. I would like to know how easy/difficult it is to transfer to another program and how would I find such a spot

Thank you so much for your help

The board requires two contiguous years prior to graduation coming from one institution, as a general rule. There are exceptions, such as program closing, illness in the family, etc. and the board makes a case-by-case ruling. I would suggest that you contact the board in Kentucky directly and pose your query directly to them.

Good luck!

Nu

don't give up though. it all depends on "why" you are leaving. yes the rules state 2 years of continguous training, BUT i know for a fact we had a great resident fill our opening just before 3rd year.

since his reason was to be with his family and 2 kids, he wrote a letter and they granted him the transfer with only minimal make up time. I think he only has to do until the end of this month (1 extra month).

Yeah....it ahhlllll depends on WHY.

With specifics (though not nec. needed here). ;)

I appreciate your responses

I will be doing my first two years continuously in the program I am at right now. Will that be okay for two continous years in one program ?

It is for family reasons and my spouse is leaving town and we have two kids

Will this work ?

I appreciate your responses

I will be doing my first two years continuously in the program I am at right now. Will that be okay for two continous years in one program ?

It is for family reasons and my spouse is leaving town and we have two kids

Will this work ?

no.. it's the last two years.. not the first two unfortuantely. 1st year is internship. but one of our grads did what you did and he only had to do 1 extra month. have your program director help you write a letter to the board, but you should expect to do at least "some" extra time for sure.

no.. it's the last two years.. not the first two unfortuantely. 1st year is internship. but one of our grads did what you did and he only had to do 1 extra month. have your program director help you write a letter to the board, but you should expect to do at least "some" extra time for sure.

Unless you can prove hardship, as the previous poster noted, it's the last two years prior to graduation that the board stipulates. I know of a case where the program really wanted a candidate, and the program itself was experiencing a severe hardship, and the candidate had enough credit to take on a PGY-3 year, but the board denied the transfer.