Need help improving a low MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlang2323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am having trouble getting out of the teens when I take the MCAT. I have always had trouble with standardized tests as the highest that I made on the ACT test was a 23. I feel that I freeze up on the test and I know that test anxiety might be causing this. One thing that I have noticed is that always run out of time on every section due to the fact that I am a slow reader but I feel that this is also due to the test anxiety because I never had this problem in college. My cGPA is a 3.6 and sGPA is a 3.5 so I know that I am a capable student but I just need some advice on where to turn and how to get better on taking the MCAT. My materials include TBR for physics and gen chem, TPR Science workbook paired with TBR passages for the biological science portion and EK Verbal. I only used 3 AAMC Practice test (3,9,11) and avg low 20's on these but fell down when I wrote the real thing. I work during the day but I have around 6 hours per night that I can work on this and do not wanna retake until im ready this time. Can someone give me advice on how you may have overcame poor past performances on standardized tests and advice on how you approached the test as well as the test prep?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice on MCAT prep:

1. Have a defined, regimented schedule, where every day is mapped out. A good example is the SN2ed schedule (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/breaking-down-the-mcat-a-3-month-mcat-study-schedule.623898/), but anything that forces to complete set of defined tasks each day will work

2. Learn how to think in the "MCAT" way. How do you do this? Do a lot of practice passages. Analyze each and every question you do, even if you got it right. Go OCD on each and every question. It's important to realize that MCAT is much more of a critical thinking/analysis/quick-thinking test than it is a test of content review

3. Do all practice tests under real, timed conditions

I think point number 2 is most important in getting you over that hump. I definitely got into this mindset doing PS (my highest score), but couldn't quite get into that mindset for BS or VR. I guess it has to do with being confident in knowing the material, and looking at the questions from all possible perspective. Being a chemistry major definitely helped me in that regard for PS, but you can apply this way of thinking for any section.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
you might be freezing because the passages dont look anything like what you studied. You need to chill out and realize that the passages are usually new material. You need to take this material and apply to it what you studied. TRUST YOURSELF! YOU ARE A COMPETENT PERSON!!!!