Need help listing shadowing activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limelilly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shadowed in an ER where I was assigned to a different doctor each time I visited. I have 42 hours total and shadowed 12 different doctors. On my AMCAS application, do I need to put the name of each doctor I shadowed? Will it look strange if I list out so many names for just 42 hours?

Appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed in an ER where I was assigned to a different doctor each time I visited. I have 42 hours total and shadowed 12 different doctors. On my AMCAS application, do I need to put the name of each doctor I shadowed? Will it look strange if I list out so many names for just 42 hours?
Since they were all from one location, you might refer to them collectively as Staff Physicians of XXX Hospital, and maybe refer to their specialties if any were not ED docs. It seems unlikely that any of them will recall your name. Hopefully you have a Contact from the department to list or a coordinator who set up the experience for you.

Thanks. I do have a department coordinator contact at the hospital who has a record of my shadowing hours. So you think it's better to refer to staff physicians than to list each doctor's name?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I do have a department coordinator contact at the hospital who has a record of my shadowing hours. So you think it's better to refer to staff physicians than to list each doctor's name?
In your situation, with few hours per doc and so many to list, Yes. If there were one with whom you spent more time, you could mention that one (or a few others) more specifically. But don't list 12.

Thank you. Here's what I'm planning to put: I had the opportunity to shadow Dr. XX, MD and other staff physicians with emergency medicine - pediatrics specialties in the Emergency Department at XX Hospital.

Look reasonable?

Thank you. Here's what I'm planning to put: I had the opportunity to shadow Dr. XX, MD and other staff physicians with emergency medicine - pediatrics specialties in the Emergency Department at XX Hospital.

Look reasonable?
Looks good. Do you mean to imply that all the docs are either ED or Pediatric-related? That could be made clearer.

On the hospital website it lists them all as specialty: emergency medicine - pediatric
When I spoke to them in person some said they had specialties in pediatrics, while others had specialties in emergency medicine.

On the hospital website it lists them all as specialty: emergency medicine - pediatric
When I spoke to them in person some said they had specialties in pediatrics, while others had specialties in emergency medicine.
Do you think they were all ED docs but that some had subspecialized in Pediatric Emergency Medicine? Or that some of the docs were pediatric surgeons, pediatric pulmonologists, pediatric infectious disease, etc. Regardless, maybe you could make the mix of docs clearer in your description.

Thanks, some had done pediatrics residencies and some had done emergency medicine residencies. None were surgeons/pulmonologists, etc. I think I can phrase it like this:

I had the opportunity to shadow Dr. XX, MD and other staff physicians specializing in pediatric emergency medicine in the Emergency Department at XX Hospital.

Thanks, some had done pediatrics residencies and some had done emergency medicine residencies. None were surgeons/pulmonologists, etc. I think I can phrase it like this:

I had the opportunity to shadow Dr. XX, MD and other staff physicians specializing in pediatric emergency medicine in the Emergency Department at XX Hospital.
Perfect!