MD & DO Need help narrowing down list. cGPA: 3.56, sGPA: 3.36, MCAT: 492/497/504

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eaglehawk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I really need help narrowing down my school list. I have found these schools to be appealing to me/ what I'm looking for but having difficulty narrowing them down to fit my budget.

My Stats:

cGPA: 3.56
sGPA: 3.36
MCAT 1: 492 (Mom was in hospital)
MCAT 2: 497
MCAT 3: 504

Shadowing: Approx 400 hours - family practice, and surgeries in America and India
Volunteer: 60 hours in Hospital ER (patient contact), 150 Hours from Misc.
Leadership: RA for 3 years
Started local charity that donated over 40,000 pounds of food to shelters
Extracurricular: TA for Bio - 1 year
TA for Phys - 1 semester
Mentor for Bio and Chem - 1 year
Research: 2.5 years in lab on campus, no publication
Awards: Lot's of leadership awards, including Dean's award - awarded to 1 student a year
Other extracurricular: approx 300 hours in sports leagues, and other small leadership positions
LORs: 3 from Science faculty, 1 from RA supervisor, and 1 MD
State of Residence: Texas
Ethnicity: South Asian Male

TMDSAS: I have applied to all schools in Texas
AMCAS: Applied to Central Michigan to get my app verified. Here are the rest I am thinking about applying to:
- University of Arizona (Tucson, and Phoenix)
- Wayne State
- Cooper Rawan
- Saint Louis
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
AACOMAS: Applied to Alabama, Incarnate World, and Burrell to get app verified. Here are the rest I am thinking about applying to:
- Michigan State
- Arizona
- Nova
- Marian
- NYIT
- Philadelphia (Both Campuses)
- UP-KYCOM
- Western University (Pacific and Pacific northwest)
- A.T. Still (Kirksville, and Arizona)
- Campbell
- VCOM (All 3 schools)
- RVU-Utah and Colorado
- LMU - COM
- WCU - COM
- Lake Erie
- Kansas

Which schools should I remove/ which new ones should I add? Should I go ahead and apply to all of those? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You have no chance at the OOS MD schools you listed with your MCAT scores. You may be able to receive one or two interviews at your Texas MD schools. For DO schools add WVSOM

Hello, I really need help narrowing down my school list. I have found these schools to be appealing to me/ what I'm looking for but having difficulty narrowing them down to fit my budget.

My Stats:

cGPA: 3.56
sGPA: 3.36
MCAT 1: 492 (Mom was in hospital)
MCAT 2: 497
MCAT 3: 504

Shadowing: Approx 400 hours - family practice, and surgeries in America and India
Volunteer: 60 hours in Hospital ER (patient contact), 150 Hours from Misc.
Leadership: RA for 3 years
Started local charity that donated over 40,000 pounds of food to shelters
Extracurricular: TA for Bio - 1 year
TA for Phys - 1 semester
Mentor for Bio and Chem - 1 year
Research: 2.5 years in lab on campus, no publication
Awards: Lot's of leadership awards, including Dean's award - awarded to 1 student a year
Other extracurricular: approx 300 hours in sports leagues, and other small leadership positions
LORs: 3 from Science faculty, 1 from RA supervisor, and 1 MD
State of Residence: Texas
Ethnicity: South Asian Male

TMDSAS: I have applied to all schools in Texas
AMCAS: Applied to Central Michigan to get my app verified. Here are the rest I am thinking about applying to:
- University of Arizona (Tucson, and Phoenix)
- Wayne State
- Cooper Rawan
- Saint Louis
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- West Virginia
AACOMAS: Applied to Alabama, Incarnate World, and Burrell to get app verified. Here are the rest I am thinking about applying to:
- Michigan State
- Arizona
- Nova
- Marian
- NYIT
- Philadelphia (Both Campuses)
- UP-KYCOM
- Western University (Pacific and Pacific northwest)
- A.T. Still (Kirksville, and Arizona)
- Campbell
- VCOM (All 3 schools)
- RVU-Utah and Colorado
- LMU - COM
- WCU - COM
- Lake Erie
- Kansas

Which schools should I remove/ which new ones should I add? Should I go ahead and apply to all of those? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you so much!

You shouldn't have applied to CMU either. But you need to remove every single one of those MD schools except SLU.

Do you only have 60 hours of clinical experience? That is NOT enough. Shadowing does not make up for this, especially abroad.

You should definitely put your main focus on DO schools. Your stats are low and two sub-500 MCAT scores are really hurting you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have no chance at the OOS MD schools you listed with your MCAT scores. You may be able to receive one or two interviews at your Texas MD schools. For DO schools add WVSOM
I didn't add WVSOM because they have a mandatory DO rec letter which I don't have. Does the rest of that list sound good to you?

You could remove Michigan State (DO) since over 90% of their matriculants are from Michigan. Otherwise your DO list is good and you should receive several interviews. As I mentioned above remove all the OOS MD schools from your list and concentrate on the Texas MD schools and your DO application.

Reactions: 1 user