Need help narrowing down school list, please :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorgrl10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so I'm applying this cycle and have a list of 18 schools and I'd like to narrow it down to 10 or less if possible. My stats/ECs are all on predents. Any input on schools I should add or remove would be very helpful! I know some schools such as UNC and UConn have limited seats for out of state applicants but I love those locations but would it be completely pointless to apply with my stats? Thanks!

Alabama
Midwestern
UConn
Nova
UF
UK
Louisville
Maryland
Boston
Tufts
UMDNJ
NYU
UNC
Case
Pitt
Temple
Tennessee
VCU

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances are best at the private schools so I would say...

Out with
Kentucky
Tennessee
UMDNJ
UNC
VCU

UMB is out-of-state friendly and so is VCU to some extent but I can't think of cutting out other schools since they are mostly private

^^
Agree. I would prolly keep VCU and cut Alabama and UConn. UConn has a total of 39 seats and they prefer new england residents so with a low DAT like yours chances are pretty slim. wierd tho, i had the exact same scores you had for bio, gc and oc, yet my TS turned out to be 19 - i bet it boils down to 1 or 2 questions! Apply early and gluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
For VCU the data from ADEA book (class of 2008 stats) 45% were out of state enrollees. So keep VCU

Alright so I'm applying this cycle and have a list of 18 schools and I'd like to narrow it down to 10 or less if possible. My stats/ECs are all on predents. Any input on schools I should add or remove would be very helpful! I know some schools such as UNC and UConn have limited seats for out of state applicants but I love those locations but would it be completely pointless to apply with my stats? Thanks!

Alabama
Midwestern
UConn
Nova
UF
UK
Louisville
Maryland
Boston
Tufts
UMDNJ
NYU
UNC
Case
Pitt
Temple
Tennessee
VCU

eliminate the schools that you would not attend...I looked at UCONN..but the students have trouble getting patients there..

Temple is in the hood...literally...I know a bunch of people who went there...take it off your list..

I went to UK...Loved it there! Out of about 53 total seats, only 17 or so will go to out of staters...but you should still apply there...they have one of the best clinical schools around...

for temple, as long as your not prowling the streets at odd hours you'll be fine.

Louisville will be adding 40 more spots with a lot going to out of state starting this next cycle. I definitely would take off Tennessee, their out of state applicants have to have extremely high DAT scores. UAB also requires very high DAT. I would definitely get rid of those two for sure but would also definitely keep Louisville at all costs seeing they are increasin their class size from 80 to 120.

I know about 20 people that went there...additionally, when I went on my tour, they told me it isn't a matter of if my car will get broken into, but when..

And how many of those 20 are still alive? ...all of them? Suddenly your point becomes lost. ;)

thanks for you input everyone! its been very helpful. my list now looks like this:

Midwestern
Nova
UF
UK
Louisville
BU
Tufts
NYU
Buffalo
Case
Pitt
Temple
VCU

I cut Alabama, UConn, UNC, Maryland, UMDNJ, and Tennessee but added Buffalo. I left Temple because I'm willing to brave the streets of Philly if it means going to dental school ;). What do you guys think about adding ASDOH and removing either NYU, Pitt, or both. NYU has a high average for TS (20) and Pitt has high GPA requirements. Any opinions on this? Someone also mentioned to remove BU because they are very DAT-centric but the ADEA guide says their average DAT is 3.17 for sGPA and 3.26 tGPA. ugh so stressful, thanks for all the great advice:thumbup:

Last edited:
thanks for you input everyone! its been very helpful. my list now looks like this:

Midwestern
Nova
UF
UK
Louisville
BU
Tufts
NYU
Buffalo
Case
Pitt
Temple
VCU

I cut Alabama, UConn, UNC, Maryland, UMDNJ, and Tennessee but added Buffalo. I left Temple because I'm willing to brave the streets of Philly if it means going to dental school ;). What do you guys think about adding ASDOH and removing either NYU, Pitt, or both. NYU has a high average for TS (20) and Pitt has high GPA requirements. Any opinions on this? Someone also mentioned to remove BU because they are very DAT-centric but the ADEA guide says their average DAT is 3.17 for sGPA and 3.26 tGPA. ugh so stressful, thanks for all the great advice:thumbup:

What qualities are you looking for in a school? You can get into any school you want. You just have to know what makes them tick.

You have too many safety schools. You'll get into either UF or Nova, so I wouldn't worry about getting in. I'd worry about having a list of schools I'd be content attending. I'd drop some of those very expensive schools, namely Louisville. I'd also drop Midwestern. I'd choose either Tufts or BU, and either Case or Pitt. I'd add back UNC (or Michigan), because they're damn good schools. Lots of bang for the buck.

Last edited:
I would keep NYU and forego ASDOH if you do not have lots of ECs since they weigh those very heavily at that school. If you see yourself being happy at the other schools you listed then I wouldn't hesitate to apply to them but with your GPA I honestly think you don't need to apply to so many. Best of luck to you

Gatorgrl, just wondering, why are you keeping VCU? That's one I am unsure about, but I would love someone else's input on why they like the school. Thanks so much! :)

Last edited:
True that UNC is damn good school, and true that it is lots of bang for the buck. However, there are better choices for the OP to apply to, and UNC is a long shot because OP is from out of state. Michigan is a great school, but bang for the buck...? At the interview, they told us that it is impossible to get in-state tuition if you come from out of state. The total cost is over $300,000. Is that bang for the buck? Certainly cheaper that some large private schools, but damn expensive for a public one.

Getting into dental school is a long shot if you rest your chances on the GPA/DAT combo. That's what everybody does. They don't know how to play the game. The OP should determine which schools offer everything she could possibly look for in a school. Cost, training opportunities, whatever. Her list is composed of 80% backup schools. Where are those paradise schools?