need help on NICU book!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue_feiyan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found out Im starting on NICU as a brand new intern and i want to start strong. If there was a single book that I can use that covers most basic things, what would it be?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Find out if your program gives you a "NICU in a nutshell" book.

If not, the Gomella text on Neonatology is a nice review. Fanaroff/Martin & Walsh is comprehensive, but ginormous.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another great book is Workbook in Pratical Neonatology by Polin.

It is quite case-oriented and covers a lot of pathophysiology, as well as clinical decision-making. If you're looking for the highest-yield book you can get and for one you can read in five days, this isn't the right one for you, but you need a book that connects pathophysiology to the clinical picture and to the treatment, this is the book for you. It's short enough that you could read it relatively quickly, depending how much time you can dedicate to it per sitting.

Find out if your program gives you a "NICU in a nutshell" book.

If not, the Gomella text on Neonatology is a nice review. Fanaroff/Martin & Walsh is comprehensive, but ginormous.

It looks like there's a new edition of the Gomella text...Anyone know if there are significant revisions or more or less the same?

NICU can be really intimidating as a first rotation, but just realize that they expect you to not know neonatology. Most incoming peds residents have never been in a NICU and it's not something that's stressed during medical school. There were two great resources I used

Lange Neonatology (great for on call when you get called about a sugar of 35 and you need a differential and plan of action)

UCSF NICU Handbook http://www.ucsfhealth.org/childrens/health_professionals/icnManual.html

Good luck!

I'm a 4th yr med student who will be starting a NICU sub-internship at the beginning of Feb, but I've got some free time until then. Are there any other books/resources that you would recommend to someone in my position other than those listed above? Are any of the above suggestions particularly geared toward novices?
Thanks much!

I don't know if this is better, worse or the same in quality as compared to the UCSF e-handbook above, but it's often the case that individual chapters may be better or worse in one or others, so I'll put it out there as another e resource:
http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/med/pediatrics/iowaneonatologyhandbook/

As for your question AFDuck, I'd bet that perusing either of the two websites would be good. OBP posted some citations to some "hot" new neo opinions/data in the Neo/PICU/Cards forum. If you don't have access there I'd be happy to pass them along (or encourage you to join if you haven't). If your Sub-I is going to be at a .mil NICU and you have the opportunity to get some stick-time on NeoData beforehand, do it. Its a program with a fairly steep learning curve, but there are many tricks to make it faster.