Need help on traveling abroad and getting something out of it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paulz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really into traveling. I am a science major and interested in health, medicine, pharmecuticals, animals, community health, marine biology and stuff like that. If I travel I want to be exposed to or help out foreign practices(caring for animals, shadowing clinics, ect.). I have looked up programs but they are all ridiculous amounts of money($1500 to volunteer in a clinic in South America). I really want to do some kind of work but am not going to pay more than my plane tickets and hotel to do it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I should do to get the right kind of hands on, up front, real, exposure that I want without having to pay two grand. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck with that! Unfortunately most places have caught on and realized that as much as you're offering them a service, they're offering you one, too. There are even places that package it up and market it as "vacations with meaning" or something like that. Plus there's the issue of liability...

Basically you get what you pay for. It's totally ridiculous and I'm as frustrated about it as you are, but it's the nature of the beast, now-a-days. I'm sure there are a few remaining places that let you volunteer for free, but they are a rarity and I am sorry to say that I don't know of any. :(

I am really into traveling. I am a science major and interested in health, medicine, pharmecuticals, animals, community health, marine biology and stuff like that. If I travel I want to be exposed to or help out foreign practices(caring for animals, shadowing clinics, ect.). I have looked up programs but they are all ridiculous amounts of money($1500 to volunteer in a clinic in South America). I really want to do some kind of work but am not going to pay more than my plane tickets and hotel to do it. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I should do to get the right kind of hands on, up front, real, exposure that I want without having to pay two grand. Thanks
You will have to spend 2 grand on travel and living expenses no doubt. However, I am aware of a place where you can get some real experience in South America for low cost. Can you at least speak some spanish? PM me if you're interested for the details.

AB

Wow, I've posted this link a lot lately. If you're interested these people have a program in Argentina you can tack on to their Spanish program that lets you shadow, twice a week, for about 3 hours per session, for a $90 per week cost. The catch is that you need to pass their requirements for intermediate level Spanish to qualify (and it's pretty strictly observation, you don't do anything to help). Just a thought.

www.ecela.com

As for actually doing procedures, to be honest, do you have any qualifications to do any procedures? Are you an EMT or something?