Need help on where I stand...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rata tat tat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all
I'm from Boston but i go to school in Canada. I have about a 3.6 gpa (honours Microbiology) and a 6V 9B 10P writing:Q on the MCAT. Which schools do you recommend applying to...if any? I would really appreciate anyone's advice on this matter. Also, has anyone gotten into Med School with a 6 on verbal? If you did, could you please give me your stats...thanks
(I am open to private schools as well)

Members don't see this ad.

Since it is too late to apply this year anyway, you should consider retaking the MCAT in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
you stand on your feet (soldier!). why not take the april mcat and apply next year. go to the aamc website and find out how the application cycle works. it seems you may not be all that familiar with it. so go find that out, then retake the mcat if you think you can improve the verbal. the gpa is good enough (is that science or overall, because schools like a high science gpa..and yours is definitely adequate, especially considering the major (which some schools are too busy to "consider"). still, the gpa will get you in just fine, but the mcat is holding you back. i don't know how it is in canada, but if its' as competitive as it is here, you'll need a much higher score. try to get the verbal to 9 or 10, and keep the othre ones where they are unless you can improve. just don't take it again and end up Dropping points. that's shooting yourself in the foot. other than than, just have good essays for the primary application and good essays/ good and early completion dates at the schools. that's maybe the most important factor..to be complete as early as possible without sacrificing the application's strength. good luck. out

I managed to get 3 interviews with '6' in verbal (vaandy, dartmouth, AE), but I don't think I will get in this year.
I highly don't recommend applying until you improve your verbal score.

Just from glancing at those scores....retake that MCAT in april, seriously! It's not that you'd be a bad applicant but you're competing with people who have much higher stats.

Mr. :mad:

Thanks for all the info peeps. I really appreciate your advice. I will most likely retake the MCAT in April...it's all still pretty fresh in my mind.

Since you have the opportunity, I aggree you should proably consider retaking the MCAT.

Have you considered Osteopathic schools? I know that many people with MCAT's around 25 have gotten in to them.

Good luck.

I concur with the immediate retake and the consideration of DO schools.