Need Help Picking a Book for Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akademiks1989

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EMAIL from my biology professor this morning:

"Textbooks: Two books are required for lecture: Sadava, et al. "Life, The Science of Biology," and EITHER Watson's "The Double Helix," OR Maddox' "Rosalind Franklin, The Dark Lady of DNA." Each provides a perspective on two of the dominant figures in DNA history. While you may certainly purchase/read both, only one is required for the course. Later in the term you will receive questions related to one or the other."

Which one should I get? Which one is more interesting and beneficial? Any other thoughts are welcome..Good luck to everyone this semester!!!

Members don't see this ad.

EMAIL from my biology professor this morning:

"Textbooks: Two books are required for lecture: Sadava, et al. "Life, The Science of Biology," and EITHER Watson's "The Double Helix," OR Maddox' "Rosalind Franklin, The Dark Lady of DNA." Each provides a perspective on two of the dominant figures in DNA history. While you may certainly purchase/read both, only one is required for the course. Later in the term you will receive questions related to one or the other."

Which one should I get? Which one is more interesting and beneficial? Any other thoughts are welcome..Good luck to everyone this semester!!!

The Double Helix
was a really interesting read for me, much more interesting than Rosalind Franklin, but The Double Helix did not portray Rosalind Franklin in a very positive light, which sort of annoyed me, seeing as how her work was so important to the discovery of the structure of DNA, so I would say to read The Double Helix but then read a little about Rosalind Franklin's life.

damn... could have sold you my coverless copy of "life" if I were still in Michigan...

Members don't see this ad :)
Buy one and have a friend buy the other one. Then you can both read both of them. They both sound interesting to me. Maybe try to find one online, I have found some wonderful biology books online.

I would go with Maddox' "The Alphabet of Manliness".

Lotsa science in that one...

I would go with Double Helix. I can not comment on the other one since I never read it. but double helix was very interesting..plus it's not that long..