MD NEED HELP.... Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

inadiffworld

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good afternoon,

I've been snooping around for quite sometime, but yet to find the right answer for myself. My MCAT score is a 526 ( Got my score in June ) but my cgpa 3.25 sgpa 3.1. I'm currently a senior so I really have no idea how to recovery my gpa. I'm against doing a post-bac but I can do a DIY one at my state university. I have a

F Biol 1 AP credit (Retook for a C+) (Was hospitalized for x 1 week due to sx and recovery from MVC)
C+: oral Com (Retook for an A)
C: Sociology (Retook for an A)
C Biol 2 : Freshman year
C in Calc (Retook for an A) Freshman year
C- O-Chem ( retook for an A): Sophomore year
C in Physics 1: Sophomore year
C: World Literature (400 level class) (wondering if I should retake)
O- chem 2 A, : Junior year
A in Physics 2 : Junior year
A Mirco
Biochem A
Psy A
Stats B
Calc 2 A

After that I've been getting A's in all my upper division classes Genetics, Molecular Biology, and Immunology. I'm currently about 20 credits from obtaining my BA in Micro Bio, but I was thinking if I should take another year of just taking UPPER division biology and chemistry classes to boost up not only my sgpa but also my cgpa? Or should I just retake my C's.

I figured the best thing for me to do is to retake the other C's because that can somewhat help boost my gpa, but after reading a few forums, some are against doing that such as @gyngyn @gonnif @Goro and more . I was planning on applying this cycle. I've finished PS, Secondaries for my state schools, have 5 strong LOR and have REALLY STRONG EC, but have not send it for verification bc I do not want to be a re-applicant. Aiming for MD schools and but okay with DO's.

I'm lost at this point. During my freshmen year I was idiotic and i've made mistakes not knowing what I want to be and being hospitalized (experienced intubation c line, you name it I've been through it; which made great for a PS ) grandparents died (all four ) , parents divorced, Mother hospitalized for over 2 months, which clearly by being the oldest of 4 I had to support the family that resulted in a few 2 W's and my grades dropping. But after my freshman/Sophomore year I stood up and got my act together.

Plan A: Apply this cycle to only my state schools as well as Tufts, Drexel, Tulane, Hufts,Rosalind Franklin ( one of my state school is giving a FREE FULL tuition for the 2017 MS class)

Plan B: Take Upper division classes to boost up my GPA for a year.
Total credits 54 w/ A's can give me a 3.6 or 3.5 if my math is not off. ( possible use the credits to get minors in Chemistry, Neuroscience and a foreign language.


THANK YOU IN ADVANCE AND SORRY FOR THE BORING LIFE STORY.

EC's

1000+ hours Clinical exposure
250+ shadowing
VP of my Family organization helping orphanage in third world countries
Secretary of RAPACD ( I'm not Asian; just a caucasian girl supporting everyone )
Secretary of Community Medical Clinic
200+ Research 2 ( 2nd author publication )

200+ Children's cancer ward: As broke as I was ( college student issues) I still bought a bunch of toys, books, clothes and other materials for the children. I would read to them, play with them just make their stay better and help the parents cope better to their new situation. I did it all under the table not for the publicity, it's SOMETHING I ENJOY DOING.

100+ hrs Representative for my schools Medical Club

Internship at District house ( I know many would think this is careless, but let me tell you this I LEARNED A LOT of stuff in regards to what people really need and that was MEDICAL INSURANCE which is why I helped those individuals get the care they needed from a free pair of glasses to a free medical examination. I was able to provide them the help I could due to the strings I had with the different organizations. This helped increase my communication with the society and help provide them with the essentials they needed )

Probably the main reason why I'd like to become a physician! Be like the physicians in my organization who give free medical care for people in need.
 
Last edited:
Wow congratulations on the great MCAT score! I would not recommend applying this cycle. You would be better off doing some GPA repair by taking some upper level sciences. 54 credits in one year seems like a lot though so becareful. A regular MS wouldn't help. Make sure they're undergraduate classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's important is to know your GPA breakdown by year. It sounds like you have an upward trend. If for junior and senior year you can carry a good GPA that carries alot of weight combined with a 526.

Look at the table below. If the IS matriculation% of your state is >30% I would probably give it a shot this cycle. Note I would still probably try to do some GPA enhancing to prepare in case you are a reapplicant.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstablea5.pdf

If you do elect for Plan B dont take more credits than you can manage. If your plan is to do 54 credits in one year I might reconsider that personally. Keep in mind given your MCAT score a number of these lower tier schools youve listed like Drexel and RFU are not going to be high yield options for you.
 
So
The decision to apply this year will be dependent on your state of residence and your ability to convince them that the reasons for the weak undergrad performance will not persist into medical school.


So I've been getting A's on practically all my upper division classes. My state of residency is NV we have UNLV, UNR and Roseman.


I thought if I just take maybe another semester to boost it up to a 3.4ish both sgpa and cgpa maybe that would essential to apply with my MCAT score. For the following cycle, I would be late for this cycle if I send out my application for verification but I've already done the secondaries for the schools so I would be right on track. My grades are OFCOURSE a upper trend but the GpA might scare off some
Potential interviews and/or even acceptances.

Wow congratulations on the great MCAT score! I would not recommend applying this cycle. You would be better off doing some GPA repair by taking some upper level sciences. 54 credits in one year seems like a lot though so becareful. A regular MS wouldn't help. Make sure they're undergraduate classes.


Thank you and I believe 54 hours is basically 18 credits per semester giving a total of 3 semesters. I've taken over 19 credits just to boost up my gpa I don't want to jinx myself but I believe I can handle it. But I'd be doing a DIY post bac and taking classes that can help towards getting minors if that helps.
 
What's important is to know your GPA breakdown by year. It sounds like you have an upward trend. If for junior and senior year you can carry a good GPA that carries alot of weight combined with a 526.

Look at the table below. If the IS matriculation% of your state is >30% I would probably give it a shot this cycle. Note I would still probably try to do some GPA enhancing to prepare in case you are a reapplicant.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstablea5.pdf

If you do elect for Plan B dont take more credits than you can manage. If your plan is to do 54 credits in one year I might reconsider that personally. Keep in mind given your MCAT score a number of these lower tier schools youve listed like Drexel and RFU are not going to be high yield options for you.


It states that only 22% get in-state. Yes my junior and Senior year have been only and all As not even one A- just a 4.0. Maybe 1.5 years to achieve 54 credits but then again I can stop summer 2017 to apply and see where I have a shot given I've taken about 36 credits the two semesters. My GpA can rise to a 3.5 if my math is correct.

On a side note do you think I should aim for schools around that accept 3.5/32-35 ?
 
It states that only 22% get in-state. Yes my junior and Senior year have been only and all As not even one A- just a 4.0. Maybe 1.5 years to achieve 54 credits but then again I can stop summer 2017 to apply and see where I have a shot given I've take about 36 credits the two semesters. My GpA can rise to a 3.5 if my math is correct.

What I would do is take a look at the AMCAS GPA calculator if you havent already. That can give you an official GPA calculation if you dont already have it.

What you want is also to know specifically what your GPA is per year ie freshmen, soph, junior, senior. Im not sure if the AMCAS GPA calculator does that for you but it's worth looking into. I believe it is 32 credits per year so first 32 fresh, next 32 soph etc but I dont remember off the top of my head the specifics.

This info helps you gauge where you stand alot better as the GPA trend for you is going to be important.
 
What I would do is take a look at the AMCAS GPA calculator if you havent already. That can give you an official GPA calculation if you dont already have it.

What you want is also to know specifically what your GPA is per year ie freshmen, soph, junior, senior. Im not sure if the AMCAS GPA calculator does that for you but it's worth looking into. I believe it is 32 credits per year so first 32 fresh, next 32 soph etc but I dont remember off the top of my head the specifics.

This info helps you gauge where you stand alot better as the GPA trend for you is going to be important.


The GpA given us from AMCAS after I sent over my transcripts.

Freshmen year 1 2.7 ( because of my F )
Sophomore 1 year 2.8 or around 2.9
Junior 1 year 3.76ish 32 credits worth
Senior 1 year 4.0 32 credits worth

So as you can see the trend is getting high instead of dropping. Still not impressed with the 3.25 GpA or the 3.1 science GpA. And the reason why I received a really high Mcat score was bc I studied a lot during senior year. So wouldn't MS see that I've been working hard my last two years and also my good McAt score ?
 
The GpA given us from AMCAS after I sent over my transcripts.

Freshmen year 1 2.7 ( because of my F )
Sophomore 1 year 2.8 or around 2.9
Junior 1 year 3.76ish 32 credits worth
Senior 1 year 4.0 32 credits worth

So as you can see the trend is getting high instead of dropping. Still not impressed with the 3.25 GpA or the 3.1 science GpA. And the reason why I received a really high Mcat score was bc I studied a lot during senior year. So wouldn't MS see that I've been working hard my last two years and also my good McAt score ?

I would seriously consider giving it a shot this year with that GPA trend and MCAT score combination. I'd probably do some DIY PB work during this upcoming year so you have an improved app if you have to reapply
 
I would seriously consider giving it a shot this year with that GPA trend and MCAT score combination. I'd probably do some DIY PB work during this upcoming year so you have an improved app if you have to reapply


Quick question... Do you think if I reapply next year to like my states schools again , that it would be harder to get in or no when they see more of a upper trend ?
 
Quick question... Do you think if I reapply next year to like my states schools again , that it would be harder to get in or no when they see more of a upper trend ?

How each school evaluates reapplicants varies and is very hard to predict. Having more good grades if you have to reapply will help.
 
How each school evaluates reapplicants varies and is very hard to predict. Having more good grades if you have to reapply will help.


I'm just scared of loosing my chance at my state school ( mainly bc of tutition reasons and I would save up a lot of money ) if the first round I don't get in but the second time around my GpA is higher 🙁 I have not seen much successful stories of reapplicant applying to the same school... Don't get me wrong they do get secondaries but no II or acceptances
 
I'm just scared of loosing my chance at my state school ( mainly bc of tutition reasons and I would save up a lot of money ) if the first round I don't get in but the second time around my GpA is higher 🙁 I have not seen much successful stories of reapplicant applying to the same school... Don't get me wrong they do get secondaries but no II or acceptances
State schools tend to be more forgiving of re-applicants.
A chance at that free year of tuition is hard to pass up!
UNLV could show CN"U" a thing or two about how to manage an inaugural class.
 
State schools tend to be more forgiving of re-applicants.
A chance at that free year of tuition is hard to pass up!
UNLV could show CN"U" a thing or two about how to manage an inaugural class.


I know it's terrible! The full ride would've been great but I'm assuming if i stay another year and take 41 more credits I can raise my cgpa 3.5 and sgpa 3.3ish. So maybe with those stats and a high mcat i could probably nail some good scholarships at my state school.