Need help please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ymko

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a Canadian applicant interested in applying to US med schools! My stats are as follow: MCAT - PS=14, BS=12, VR=10, GPA - 3.8, 3 years of research, 5 years of first aid attendant, 3 summers of shadowing...etc. I am applying to the following schools

Washinton University (st. louis), Duke, John hopkins, Yale, Northwestern, Mt. Sinai, Albert Einstein, USC, Tufts, George Washington, Columbia, Vanderbilt, Wayne, Baylor, and SUNY.

Any help/ comment is appreciated! =)

Members don't see this ad.

You have the stats for most all top-tier schools, but seem to be short-changing yourself, so just out of curiosity can you tell us why you chose those specific schools?

MB in SD said:
You have the stats for most all top-tier schools, but seem to be short-changing yourself, so just out of curiosity can you tell us why you chose those specific schools?

I choose these specfic schools based on their rankings in terms of research.

Members don't see this ad :)
ymko said:
I choose these specfic schools based on their rankings in terms of research.

No you did not. If that were the case then you would not have chosen some of the schools o your list. There have to be some other factors.......what are they?

Some of the schools on my list are safety schools...thats why.

ymko said:
Hi,

I am a Canadian applicant interested in applying to US med schools! My stats are as follow: MCAT - PS=14, BS=12, VR=10, GPA - 3.8, 3 years of research, 5 years of first aid attendant, 3 summers of shadowing...etc. I am applying to the following schools

Washinton University (st. louis), Duke, John hopkins, Yale, Northwestern, Mt. Sinai, Albert Einstein, USC, Tufts, George Washington, Columbia, Vanderbilt, Wayne, Baylor, and SUNY.

I think you have some awesome stats and EC's, Good luck!

You'll be fine, but just remember to research the school's actual mission statements, curricula, etc in the MSAR and on their websites because when you get to interviews.......

They don't want to hear that you chose them based on their rankings. They want to see that you actually are interested in their specific program.

Your profile is good, but you might want to look through the MSAR and see what schools actually interest you beyond just rankings and prestige. Then determine if there are other schools you want to add or not add. Only apply to schools that you do see yourself attending if you were to get accepted.

Nevermind, just realized you are a Canadian applicant and not in the states. Again, look through the MSAR and see what schools interest you. Then go to their websites and what not and do some more research on them, and if you want to apply at that particular school, then apply. If not, then don't. But your profile looks good, so you should be ok.

I agree your stats are amazing. Have you looked at MUSC in Charleston? Excellent research school and beautiful city. Also, the Florida schools are well-reputed as far as research goes, so I'm told.
I'm not research-minded but I interviewed for a PA faculty position at MUSC last year and was very impressed with the facilities and the breadth of research going on there.
Expensive but the water is warm!
Lisa PA-C

gujuDoc said:
You'll be fine, but just remember to research the school's actual mission statements, curricula, etc in the MSAR and on their websites because when you get to interviews.......

They don't want to hear that you chose them based on their rankings. They want to see that you actually are interested in their specific program.

Your profile is good, but you might want to look through the MSAR and see what schools actually interest you beyond just rankings and prestige. Then determine if there are other schools you want to add or not add. Only apply to schools that you do see yourself attending if you were to get accepted.

Nevermind, just realized you are a Canadian applicant and not in the states. Again, look through the MSAR and see what schools interest you. Then go to their websites and what not and do some more research on them, and if you want to apply at that particular school, then apply. If not, then don't. But your profile looks good, so you should be ok.

primadonna22274 said:
I agree your stats are amazing. Have you looked at MUSC in Charleston? Excellent research school and beautiful city. Also, the Florida schools are well-reputed as far as research goes, so I'm told.
I'm not research-minded but I interviewed for a PA faculty position at MUSC last year and was very impressed with the facilities and the breadth of research going on there.
Lisa PA-C

As a Fl. resident, the only two schools that he would have a real shot at are UF/Umiami because they take a lot more out of state students. But even then, it will be harder to get into a Fl. school because they prefer in staters. As a canadian, he's probably better off applying to the private schools in the north.

Good to know. What about Emory in Atlanta?
L.

gujuDoc said:
As a Fl. resident, the only two schools that he would have a real shot at are UF/Umiami because they take a lot more out of state students. But even then, it will be harder to get into a Fl. school because they prefer in staters. As a canadian, he's probably better off applying to the private schools in the north.

primadonna22274 said:
Good to know. What about Emory in Atlanta?
L.

Emory, isn't a Fl. School. That's Georgia.

But that aside, Emory is one of those top 20 schools that is a private school like Hopkins, Harvard, etc. etc. So it takes a lot of out of state students and people with the kind of stats that the OP has. I actually know a former USF undergrad who had a 4.0 GPA, 36 MCAT, few years of research at Shriner's Hospital (Pediatric Orthopedic and Burn unit hospital), volunteering, teaching SAT, etc. etc. and got into Emory on full scholarship. He just finished MS1 out there. He also had interviews at Hopkins and Harvard, but was waitlisted at both places.

If you have super good stats and ECs, then go ahead and add Emory to your list.

Oh and for the med school, it is harder to get into MUSC, then it is for their PA or Pharmacy programs.

primadonna22274 said:
Lisa PA-C
MUSC also has a very strong in-state bias.

Geez, sometimes you guys don't read very well before you just spout off.
I am aware that Emory is in Atlanta which is in Georgia. But I think he may have a chance there and thought he might appreciate the suggestion.
MUSC definitely DOES have a strong (50% or so) in-state preference but it encourages interesting strong applicants from out-of-state. I would think it would be worth applying for this guy.
And I didn't apply to PA school there--I applied to TEACH PA students. One of three finalists nationwide; ultimately an Easterner was chosen instead. So I changed my plans and decided to go to med school instead and come back to the teaching down the road.
L.

BrettBatchelor said:
MUSC also has a very strong in-state bias.

primadonna22274 said:
I am aware that Emory is in Atlanta which is in Georgia. But I think he may have a chance there and thought he might appreciate the suggestion.
MUSC definitely DOES have a strong (50% or so) in-state preference but it encourages interesting strong applicants from out-of-state. I would think it would be worth applying for this guy.
And I didn't apply to PA school there--I applied to TEACH PA students. One of three finalists nationwide; ultimately an Easterner was chosen instead. So I changed my plans and decided to go to med school instead and come back to the teaching down the road.
L.

Sorry I thought you were asking for yourself. You weren't clear in your post that it was a suggestion to him and not a question about your own situation. At least, I read it as being you asking about yourself. Also, I guess since you said Emory right after the fl. thing, I misread it the wrong way. Sometimes these message boards can get confusing and don't do justice to getting the message across properly because when you see something quoted you think its a reference to that rather then a separate question. Hope that clarifies why I said that. I apologize for any confusions we have had in posting.

Are you applying now as well??

Aw, no biggie, apology accepted. Just thinking out loud myself.
L.
OH! you asked if I was applying now...yes, but I'm not necessarily sure if I should. I have to take a year of physics (boohoo) and the MCAT. It's been 8-9 years since my bio/chem days and I really don't remember much. I'm gonna have to do some major review before the August MCAT and if I think I really bomb it I will retake in April. The other issue is financial: could I really AFFORD to quit work f/t next August and return to school? Not right now--but in another year I would have all of my "bad" debt paid off, car paid off, and could sell my house and be OK (just student loans which of course would go back into deferment) financially. It's hard to consider going back to living on nothing when I'm making a relatively comfortable living right now. On the other hand, I pay so much a month in debt payments (divorce sucks) that once that's done with I'll need far less $$ to live on.

gujuDoc said:
Sorry I thought you were asking for yourself. You weren't clear in your post that it was a suggestion to him and not a question about your own situation. At least, I read it as being you asking about yourself. Also, I guess since you said Emory right after the fl. thing, I misread it the wrong way. Sometimes these message boards can get confusing and don't do justice to getting the message across properly because when you see something quoted you think its a reference to that rather then a separate question. Hope that clarifies why I said that. I apologize for any confusions we have had in posting.

Are you applying now as well??

primadonna22274 said:
L.
MUSC 93% in state matriculants. AAMC Facts 2003.
Also moving from Canada to SC - whoa culture shock.

ymko said:
Hi,

A "Canadian Applicant?" That could be a problem with many schools. All schools in Florida require US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Alien with a Green Card --- it is my impression that there are a limited number of schools who will entertain the application of an international student. Please refer to the most recent AAMC Medical Student Admissions Requirements (MSAR) Book which should be available at premed offices or on the aamc.org website for individual purchase.