Applying for Diagnostic radiology this cycle, need some advices and help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthew87922

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m a 4th year from low-tier med school. I’m planning to apply for DR this year. My brief summary of app as follows:

I’m a US army veteran. Did bunch of volunteers during med school. 4H and 2HP during Clerkships. Published couple case reports and submitted two radiology paper to RSNA that still under review (I’m the 1st and 2nd authors). Four strong letters from gen surgery, IM, two from radiologists. I got 247 on step1 but got 241 on step2.

I want to do DR residency at New York, preferably New York City where my family lives. Can you guys let me know if I have any chances match into a competitive DR residency at NY? Or anywhere? (I’m really concern of my drop in step2 score)

I know it’s a little bit late but is there anything I can do to boost my application a lit bit more? Or increases my chances?

I’m thinking to apply 80-100 programs

What’s my odds of getting into TY programs?

Any guidance/advices are appreciated, thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Your app looks solid. Matching to a specific program is tough but you could always try sending out a letter of interest relatively early on in the cycle if you don’t get an interview initially. If you’re coming from the East coast your odds of getting east coast interviews should be good. Good luck it sounds like you’ve done everything you can at this point to have a good app. Outside of trying to schedule a last minute away rotation at one of your target programs there’s not much more you can do.

Your app looks solid. Matching to a specific program is tough but you could always try sending out a letter of interest relatively early on in the cycle if you don’t get an interview initially. If you’re coming from the East coast your odds of getting east coast interviews should be good. Good luck it sounds like you’ve done everything you can at this point to have a good app. Outside of trying to schedule a last minute away rotation at one of your target programs there’s not much more you can do.

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you think the drop on step 2 would decreases my chances of getting into some programs that I potentially can get in without step2? Would you say that's a red flag?

Shouldn’t this be in the Medical School or even residency forum? Why is it in Pre-Med?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user