SMP Vs PostBac Vs Work (research or MA)-Help me decide please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

helpmepickbetween

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am really conflicted about what I should do. For context, I will be graduating in May with a BS degree. I go to a liberal arts school which is considered a "mini IV" because of how hard it is. I got a low gpa for various reasons, but I take the full blame for it. Once I realized my potential and I started to do well. What do you guys recommend I do? I really want to go to medical school, but how do you think I can overcome this GPA hurdle.



Should I consider SMPs? Post bacs?? DIY post bac? School recommendations?

or

Should I just work and excel on the MCAT while retaking the Pre-req classes I got below C in?

I appreciate all advices!!!

r/premed - SMP Vs PostBac Vs Work (research or MA)-Help me decide please
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you @Goro Where can I find your posts on reinvention for pre-meds?
 
Thank you so much for your advice @Mr.Smile12 How many undergrad courses do you think I need if I do Post bac? or What GPA do you think I should I aim for to get into USMD schools?

I am considering SMPs as well, but I'm scared that they're a little risky. What do you think?
 
Thank you so much for your advice @Mr.Smile12 How many undergrad courses do you think I need if I do Post bac? or What GPA do you think I should I aim for to get into USMD schools?

I am considering SMPs as well, but I'm scared that they're a little risky. What do you think?
At the very least, every C you have earned should be offset by an A, so at least 5 courses. That still only gets you closer to a 3.0 science GPA, and that's arguably not quite enough for an MD program, though the reinvention would help you a little. (I'll let my colleagues also jump in.) Maybe a 3.0 sGPA is good enough for DO, but I feel it still might be a bit too low.

SMP is meant to be high-risk high-reward, but you have to decide on whether you would bet on yourself to succeed or not. Read @Goro's guide as we have suggested.