SMP Vs PostBac Vs Work (research or MA)-Help me decide please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmepickbetween

Reaction score
Hello,

I am really conflicted about what I should do. For context, I will be graduating in May with a BS degree. I go to a liberal arts school which is considered a "mini IV" because of how hard it is. I got a low gpa for various reasons, but I take the full blame for it. Once I realized my potential and I started to do well. What do you guys recommend I do? I really want to go to medical school, but how do you think I can overcome this GPA hurdle.

Should I consider SMPs? Post bacs?? DIY post bac? School recommendations?

or

Should I just work and excel on the MCAT while retaking the Pre-req classes I got below C in?

I appreciate all advices!!!

r/premed - SMP Vs PostBac Vs Work (research or MA)-Help me decide please

Members don't see this ad.

Do the SMP or postbac. You need to prove that you can handle a medical school curriculum. And a high MCAT score does not remediate a low GPA. It only accentuates the differences between the two.

Read my post on reinvention for pre-meds.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you @Goro Where can I find your posts on reinvention for pre-meds?

Thank you so much for your advice @Mr.Smile12 How many undergrad courses do you think I need if I do Post bac? or What GPA do you think I should I aim for to get into USMD schools?

I am considering SMPs as well, but I'm scared that they're a little risky. What do you think?

Thank you so much for your advice @Mr.Smile12 How many undergrad courses do you think I need if I do Post bac? or What GPA do you think I should I aim for to get into USMD schools?

I am considering SMPs as well, but I'm scared that they're a little risky. What do you think?
At the very least, every C you have earned should be offset by an A, so at least 5 courses. That still only gets you closer to a 3.0 science GPA, and that's arguably not quite enough for an MD program, though the reinvention would help you a little. (I'll let my colleagues also jump in.) Maybe a 3.0 sGPA is good enough for DO, but I feel it still might be a bit too low.

SMP is meant to be high-risk high-reward, but you have to decide on whether you would bet on yourself to succeed or not. Read @Goro's guide as we have suggested.

High risk, but high reward