MD & DO WAMC + School List Help (3.3/517)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

You would benefit from more non clinical volunteering such as food bank or homeless shelter. If you can take more undergraduate level science courses in order to increase your sGPA it would help your chances. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Methodist
Belmont
NOVA MD
Alice Walton
TCU
Roseman
Ponce (St. Louis)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
California Northstate
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Brigham (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
CHSU-COM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
CCOM
NYITCOM
TOURO-NY
 
You would benefit from more non clinical volunteering such as food bank or homeless shelter. If you can take more undergraduate level science courses in order to increase your sGPA it would help your chances. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
Methodist
Belmont
NOVA MD
Alice Walton
TCU
Roseman
Ponce (St. Louis)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
California Northstate
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Kaiser
UC Davis
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Brigham (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
CHSU-COM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
CCOM
NYITCOM
TOURO-NY
I am at roughly 115 science credits (if you include my masters degree). I feel like taking additional science courses is barely going to move the needle for my GPA. Practically all of my lower division Bio are B's and a few C's. All of my upper division Bio are A's. What do I do here?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am at roughly 115 science credits (if you include my masters degree). I feel like taking additional science courses is barely going to move the needle for my GPA. Practically all of my lower division Bio are B's and a few C's. All of my upper division Bio are A's. What do I do here?
Yes, it would only increase your sGPA slightly but some schools pay more attention to recent course work grades.
 
Most faculty know that graduate GPAs are inflated. A C fails you from most Masters programs so you are expected to get a 3.6+. SMPs do not have such grading guardrails usually.
Totally understand that. But my comment to Faha still stands in that most of my credits are predominantly science courses. So 1) there isn’t much GPA repair I can do and 2) I don’t have many upper division bio courses left to take. Unless I start taking chem and engineering courses..?

So I guess my question to you is, how cooked am I from a GPA point of view? Is an acceptance to a school on Faha’s list unlikely with my current GPA?

If it has any significance.. most of my B’s and C’s are from lower division coursework. Almost all of my upper division Bio courses are A’s.
 
Totally understand that. But my comment to Faha still stands in that most of my credits are predominantly science courses. So 1) there isn’t much GPA repair I can do and 2) I don’t have many upper division bio courses left to take. Unless I start taking chem and engineering courses..?

So I guess my question to you is, how cooked am I from a GPA point of view? Is an acceptance to a school on Faha’s list unlikely with my current GPA?

If it has any significance.. most of my B’s and C’s are from lower division coursework. Almost all of my upper division Bio courses are A’s.
Depends on the program and how much they would weigh your more recent courses. Ask schools at their recruitment sessions.
 
Do you in any capacity recommend an SMP given my stats? Or do you think I’m fine just taking a few more diy post bacc credits?
I do not have your transcript to know whether you could take more postbac (undergrad) classes to make a DIY impactful on your GPA. Your masters in science complicates this assessment (since I don't have that transcript). Your GPA doesn't say everything about you, but it is worth asking a few SMP directors whether you would find their program a good fit for your needs and schedule.
 
I do not have your transcript to know whether you could take more postbac (undergrad) classes to make a DIY impactful on your GPA. Your masters in science complicates this assessment (since I don't have that transcript). Your GPA doesn't say everything about you, but it is worth asking a few SMP directors whether you would find their program a good fit for your needs and schedule.
All SMP directors I’ve spoken to are encouraging (for obvious reasons) however, I’ve had many suggest I may not need it. I could send you my transcripts via pm if you’re open to it!