MD & DO Need help with a school list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryauthentic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • New York State resident, white, 23
  • 3.55 BA in Physics
  • 3.8 MS in Biomedical Engineering
  • 511 MCAT
  • Lots of shadowing, many specialties (>120 hours)
  • Two global health missions, one rural health mission, teach local refugees English (>300 hours volunteering, 100 clinical)
  • 1 first author publication, 1 second author, masters thesis in the works, 2 conferences w/ scholarships (4 years research, ~500 hours)
  • Just started hospital volunteering and plan on working EMT during gap year for more clinical experience

I'm having a hard time being realistic building my list with my poor numbers but am hoping my research gets me somewhere. I would really like to leave NY.
Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

• Wanted to add my 50 hours tutoring for the society of physics students
  • and that I worked part time serving tables the past 5 years (~1500 hours)
Any help is appreciated thank you so much!

Can you reformat using the template?

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course!

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.33 sGPA , 3.55 cGPA, (BA Physics) 3.8 grad (MS Biomedical engineering)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 511 (128/128/127/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: University at Buffalo
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): ~100 hours on global&rural missions. Starting hospital volunteering after spring break, EMT training in late spring for gap year.
  7. Research experience and productivity: Two labs over four years. 2 pubs, 1 first author. 2 conferences with scholarships to attend. 4 Poster presos. Working on masters thesis. (500 hrs total)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 120 hours shadowing (GI, neuro, FM, Optho, radio, anesthesiology, surg)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hours tutoring physics, 40 hours volunteering with a company caring for adults with developmental disabilities, 200 hours teaching English and civics to refugees.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Little EA, was a part of the club for global health and member of society of physics students, where we tutored and visited city schools to get kids excited about science.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Won an award for best undergraduate research at a poster presentation. Deans list, won 2 scholarships to attend conferences.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: Lived on my own and worked throughout all my schooling (probably closer to ~2500 hours)
As I said before I am really hoping to leave New York and hope to be at a good research university.

Thank you!

Your lack of clinical volunteering hours in this country will diminish your chances for interviews. Accumulate at least 100 hours in this country before applying. I suggest these schools:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
TCU-UNT
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the feedback, I will look into all of these school!