Need help with choosing which schools to apply to

Started by jwmag
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jwmag

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi.
I'm doing my application. ATM I am applying to 30 schools. :laugh: This is way too many IMO. It's like $1030 total. I think I am some where between the good and average schools. Here are my stats:

I'm from Michigan
Bachelor General Studies, Oakland University
GPA: 3.80
BCMP: 3.90
MCAT: P:10 V:11 B:11 W:O, April 2008
I went to community college for two years, then to a local university for three years. Individually, my GPA at the CC is 3.861. My GPA at the Univ. is 3.76. BCMP is 3.90 for both.
At the CC I did physics I and intro to biology and another entry level human anatomy/physiology class. At the University I did all my chemistry, physics II, biochemistry, human gross anatomy, physiology. I had some HS classes, like Pathology and Pharmacology.
Research/Volunteer:
I did about 120 hours as a research assistant in an EC. Basically I screened all the patients coming into triage to see if they were eligible for the studies the EC was doing, and I helped the Research Associates enroll and conduct the studies with patients. I consider this as volunteer/extracurricular and research. This is my only experience directly related to medicine and research.
LOR:
I have a good LOR from my English Comp teacher. An unremarkable LOR from my Organic Chem teacher. I am looking for one more LOR atm and hope to get it from an MD. But if I can't get that I think I will have to settle on a third LOR from the premedical adviser/committee. So basically I could have one good LOR from an English teacher, and two unremarkable. Or two good LORs and one unremarkable.

Am I forgetting anything? I know there are a lot of details.

I will do OK in an interview. Biographically I've had a normal life. I have not had any life experiences that would set me apart from most people. I think the strongest part of the interview will be the research experience at the EC.

So I think I'm some where in the middle of the good schools and the average schools, as far as medical schools go. I think this is why I have like 30 schools on my application ATM.

Please help me! TY :clap::bow::bow:
 
I posted my message in this forum after an admin transfer my orginal post over. maybe you can delete this one👍