Need help with choosing which schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwmag

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm doing my application. ATM I am applying to 30 schools. :laugh: This is way too many IMO. It's like $1030 total. I think I am some where between the good and average schools. Here are my stats:

I'm from Michigan
Bachelor General Studies, Oakland University
GPA: 3.80
BCMP: 3.90
MCAT: P:10 V:11 B:11 W:O, April 2008
I went to community college for two years, then to a local university for three years. Individually, my GPA at the CC is 3.861. My GPA at the Univ. is 3.76. BCMP is 3.90 for both.
At the CC I did physics I and intro to biology and another entry level human anatomy/physiology class. At the University I did all my chemistry, physics II, biochemistry, human gross anatomy, physiology. I had some HS classes, like Pathology and Pharmacology.
Research/Volunteer:
I did about 120 hours as a research assistant in an EC. Basically I screened all the patients coming into triage to see if they were eligible for the studies the EC was doing, and I helped the Research Associates enroll and conduct the studies with patients. I consider this as volunteer/extracurricular and research. This is my only experience directly related to medicine and research.
LOR:
I have a good LOR from my English Comp teacher. An unremarkable LOR from my Organic Chem teacher. I am looking for one more LOR atm and hope to get it from an MD. But if I can't get that I think I will have to settle on a third LOR from the premedical adviser/committee. So basically I could have one good LOR from an English teacher, and two unremarkable. Or two good LORs and one unremarkable.

Am I forgetting anything? I know there are a lot of details.

I will do OK in an interview. Biographically I've had a normal life. I have not had any life experiences that would set me apart from most people. I think the strongest part of the interview will be the research experience at the EC.

So I think I'm some where in the middle of the good schools and the average schools, as far as medical schools go. I think this is why I have like 30 schools on my application ATM.

Please help me! TY :clap::bow::bow:

Members don't see this ad.

I posted my message in this forum after an admin transfer my orginal post over. maybe you can delete this one:thumbup:

Michigan. I'll put that in the OP. :thumbup: