Need Help with Classifying Courses as BCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meticulouslykiwi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need help determining whether the following Public Health Courses count towards BCPM. Any help is greatly appreciated!

All courses are listed under the Public Health Department

Biostatistics:
Learn concepts for measuring population health, and to draw conclusions about populations from data from samples. Students will understand the scientific method and hypothesis testing. Types of data, data distributions, and measures of central tendency and dispersion will be covered. Students will also learn various parametric and non-parametric tests and when to use them.

Epidemiology:
-(probably doesn't count, but I thought maybe the methods and tools for data gathering and analysis)
This course introduces the steps and tools for investigating infectious and communicable disease, chronic disease, foodborne illness, and other emerging population health threats. Students will understand concepts, methods and tools for data gathering and analysis.

Introduction to Health Informatics:
-(probably doesn't count either, but I'm not too sure)
This course provides a broad exposure of the field of Health Informatics. Topics include, but are not limited to: public health terminology; descriptive and vital statistics; reporting requirements; definitions and formulas for computing hospital and public health statistics; epidemiology concepts; data abstracting and display techniques; emerging health technologies; and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, if it would help you to classify them as BCPM and these are the only ones you're unsure of, I would do it - if AMCAS feels that it shouldn't be BCPM, they'll just reclassify it during verification. As long as you don't do this with a lot of classes you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if it would help you to classify them as BCPM and these are the only ones you're unsure of, I would do it - if AMCAS feels that it shouldn't be BCPM, they'll just reclassify it during verification. As long as you don't do this with a lot of classes you should be fine.
I remember reading somewhere that you can support your classification with the class syllabus or the school catalog for AMCAS. is this no longer on the table if you put everything as BCPM or do the two processes work together. thanks.

I remember reading somewhere that you can support your classification with the class syllabus or the school catalog for AMCAS. is this no longer on the table if you put everything as BCPM or do the two processes work together. thanks.

I'm not sure how it works now - before, how it worked was you just classified it and they re-classified it if they thought it wasn't right. If the course is cross-listed in your course catalog as in a BCPM department, then the chances of them accepting it as BCPM was better. I can't imagine it's changed that much since then.