Need help with DAT READING SECTION.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vietgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone who already took the DAT, could give me advise on how to approach the reading section ( take notes...). I was a bit slow on practice tests. PLEASE HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

hey. When I took the test I went through the passage real quick and then went to the questions. The passage is right below the question so it wasn't too bad to go looking for the answers. It seemed like I had more time on the real test so I think that nerves amke it a little faster.

Well, I basically studied for about a month before taking the DAT, and really did not have time to practice the reading skills. On the actual exam, I did the same thing as GTChick. I speed-read the passage and then went to the questions. Then I searched for the keywords from the questions in the passage. Also, I was half way thru answering questions on the last passage when I noticed there was only a minute left. It was not possible to search for 5-6 answers in the passage in such short a time, so I just read the question and to the best of my knowledge, I picked one choice. Do not leave any questions unanswered, even if you have to guess, do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't try to read and memorize. It will take up too much time and it's difficult if the topic is something you've seen for the first time. Skim and make a note of the main point of each paragraph. Then, when you read the question you will know where to look for the answer. I don't know. That's what Kaplan told me and it seemed to work. I got a 21 on that section. Now that I think about it, I think some of my paragraphs had headings which made it easier. I was shocked because all the practice tests I've studied from didn't. That was in 2001 though. I don't know about now.

I think reading comp is more about time management. One of the problems I had while studying for this section was running out of time. You have to figure out for yourself how much time you need to spend looking over the passage and answering questions. Then, balance the two out.

Time management is the key. I internalized very little of what I read, finished the section after 30 minutes, and scored a 24.

As everybody has said, make a mental note of the topic of each paragraph, along with scientific terms included in each paragraph. The questions will either specifically refer to these terms ("From the use of xxxx in paragraph 8, xxxx most likely means....?") or ask you questions which you can tie back to the meaning of the paragraph ("Scientists are studying xxxx because?").

Good luck, and don't sweat it!

- G

Well:
this is how I did it, even though I didn't get a good result, but most of ppl who did it this way, got good DAT score:
Read the TWO SECTION very carefully
Then the third passage, answer all the rest C. hope this will help
unless if you have a great reading skill then you don't need to do it this way.

Thanks to everyone in here for your advises. It's very helpful.