Need Help With Deciding Between Two Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As some of you may/may not remember, I was set onto going to nycpm, but now that may have to change. I was offered a scholarship at Scholl but none at nycpm. I live in nyc already so there’s this cost of relocating to Chicago & finding an apartment & all that. Also, there’s this issue of getting a car, since in nyc, you don’t really need one to get around. Now I’m really confused since I don’t scholl’s scholarship to go down the drain. If it was a little amount like $2500, then I probably would have overlooked but it’s $7500! Now I’m thinking if my net at attending nycpm will be the same as scholl’s, given cost of moving to Chicago. Also, I want a school which will help me out & be there for me when I need any help. Idk if it will be nycpm or scholl or both since I’m not a student there & cant speak about that. Yes I know it’s up to me to get good grades & yada yada yada but I think it’s also the school’s responsibility with matching & helping us prep for boards. Any advice on this from anyone would be greatly appreciated since it’s gonna be the next four years of my life!

Members don't see this ad.

If you were set on NYCPM for whatever reason, I don't think $7500 should be enough to change your mind. As you point out, the net cost of moving to IL, buying a car, etc will probably even out anyway. Pick the one you'd be happy to be at for the next 4 years. Half-tuition or a guaranteed multi-year scholarship would be another story, but if you liked NYCPM more before getting the offer don't second guess yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
You wont be able to move out of the bridges unless your parents are willing to sign the lease for you. In Harlem you will be paying 20-30% more for groceries than anywhere besides Cali. If money is an issue, follow that ****. If its not, follow your heart. I would try to negotiate a scholarship with NYCPM, they were at an matriculation low last year. Scholl you will need to pay more for transportation.

Scholl is a good school, in my opinion Scholl, NYCPM and Temple are very similar in experience due to the cities.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You wont be able to move out of the bridges unless your parents are willing to sign the lease for you. In Harlem you will be paying 20-30% more for groceries than anywhere besides Cali. If money is an issue, follow that ****. If its not, follow your heart. I would try to negotiate a scholarship with NYCPM, they were at an matriculation low last year. Scholl you will need to pay more for transportation.

Scholl is a good school, in my opinion Scholl, NYCPM and Temple are very similar in experience due to the cities.

I’ve already tried to get them match Scholl’s scholarship but they won’t unless I retake the mcat & improve. I live in nyc already & won’t be living in the bridges, so I’ll probably be commuting to nycpm if I choose to go there.

Compare the cost of you moving to Chicago versus commuting to NYCPM. Factor in the scholarship as well. I'm sure the cost of going to NYCPM will be less since the tuition there is already really low and you're commuting so I would go their. I'm personally going to Scholl but if I was you I would go NYCPM. The only exception to this would be if you didn't like the atmosphere at NYCPM and felt more comfortable at Scholl. Like others have already suggested pick the one that you'll be happy at for 4 years. If you'll be happy at both, it shouldn't be hard to figure out which school you should go to.

I’ve already tried to get them match Scholl’s scholarship but they won’t unless I retake the mcat & improve. I live in nyc already & won’t be living in the bridges, so I’ll probably be commuting to nycpm if I choose to go there.
I'd do NYCPM if its your heart. I'm regretting not going to Temple, so accept NYCPM if it's what your heart is telling you.

I'd do NYCPM if its your heart. I'm regretting not going to Temple, so accept NYCPM if it's what your heart is telling you.

I don't know where you're going, and I don't know why....

But listen to your heart.....

before....he tells you good bye.

Reactions: 2 users
Tbh idk where my heart lies anymore. I’ve heard bad things about nycpm but I know that getting a residency would be easier since the school has connections with a lot of hospitals in nyc. I like Scholl because their anatomy lab is really nice & doesn’t smell like nycpm’s lol. I feel like if it wasn’t the move then I probably would have picked scholl since it looks so nice & everything. But idk & that’s why I want input from you guys.

Tbh idk where my heart lies anymore. I’ve heard bad things about nycpm but I know that getting a residency would be easier since the school has connections with a lot of hospitals in nyc. I like Scholl because their anatomy lab is really nice & doesn’t smell like nycpm’s lol. I feel like if it wasn’t the move then I probably would have picked scholl since it looks so nice & everything. But idk & that’s why I want input from you guys.

That's not our decision to make dude.

Sooner or later you will have to decide.

Unless you want us to live stream a coin flip or vote or something and then agree to go wherever SDN hive mind sends you.

It sounds like you are leaning towards Scholl. Many people move across the country for professional schools every year. You may even have to move to get your first job. Even I’m moving from Florida to Philly this summer and I didn’t think twice about it. You liked the facilities at Scholl, which is a viable reason to choose it. In terms of residency, if you do well in didactics, pass boards, and have a decent personality, you will have a good chance in getting into a good program. In regards to the rumors, I know nothing about to NYCPM, so you may have to look more into this yourself. I didn’t want to give you an ambivalent answer, so I hope this helps.

Hi all,

Also, I want a school which will help me out & be there for me when I need any help. Idk if it will be nycpm or scholl or both since I’m not a student there & cant speak about that. Yes I know it’s up to me to get good grades & yada yada yada but I think it’s also the school’s responsibility with matching & helping us prep for boards. Any advice on this from anyone would be greatly appreciated since it’s gonna be the next four years of my life!

Want a school that cares about you? Scholl.
Want a boot camp? NYCPM. There are some great admins and professors who care about you as a person and not only as a student, but not enough for me to advocate for the school.

I, like you, chose NYCPM because I lived in New York all my life. Choose the school that you believe will make you happy and brings you the most success. I regret not going to Temple as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Want a school that cares about you? Scholl.
Want a boot camp? NYCPM. There are some great admins and professors who care about you as a person and not only as a student, but not enough for me to advocate for the school.

I, like you, chose NYCPM because I lived in New York all my life. Choose the school that you believe will make you happy and brings you the most success. I regret not going to Temple as well.

How is class schedule like for a first year student? Does the school really help you out in finding a residency? Why’d you call nycpm a bootcamp & what are some things that made you say that Scholl cares about their students? I’m inclining towards nycpm because it seems cheaper than Scholl. I’d appreciate your answers to my questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is class schedule like for a first year student? Does the school really help you out in finding a residency? Why’d you call nycpm a bootcamp & what are some things that made you say that Scholl cares about their students? I’m inclining towards nycpm because it seems cheaper than Scholl. I’d appreciate your answers to my questions.
Cheaper for now, Touro might step in before you graduate, so who knows. Very uncertain right now. I'm not advocating for NYCPM or against it, but the tests are unfairly close together... no compromise in moving them 90% of the time.

Cheaper for now, Touro might step in before you graduate, so who knows. Very uncertain right now. I'm not advocating for NYCPM or against it, but the tests are unfairly close together... no compromise in moving them 90% of the time.

Is Touro opening up their own DPM program or something? I’m not sure why they’d buy the place...

Is Touro opening up their own DPM program or something? I’m not sure why they’d buy the place...

It could be a good business move. These foot clinics bring in bigggg dollars. I've heard the same things about touro buying NYCPM.

It could be a good business move. These foot clinics bring in bigggg dollars. I've heard the same things about touro buying NYCPM.
W/ Good Management... lol anything can lose money...

Is touro buying out NYCPM or are they opening up a whole new Pod school?

Another Pod school could spell trouble come residency time.

Is touro buying out NYCPM or are they opening up a whole new Pod school?

Another Pod school could spell trouble come residency time.
No, rumors are NYCPM is 'merging' with NY College of Medicine. Both will be in Touro Healthcare systems. I don't know for sure, but it may be a good thing, since touro has more money or a bad thing. I don't know if it will improve the school or not, we cannot predict the future. I like to be positive, hoping it is a good thing. We would have preferred Mt. Sinai, but well take the cookie cutter DO/PA school giant... Healthcare is evolving small private institution don't have money to keep up.

No, rumors are NYCPM is 'merging' with NY College of Medicine. Both will be in Touro Healthcare systems. I don't know for sure, but it may be a good thing, since touro has more money or a bad thing. I don't know if it will improve the school or not, we cannot predict the future. I like to be positive, hoping it is a good thing. We would have preferred Mt. Sinai, but well take the cookie cutter DO/PA school giant... Healthcare is evolving small private institution don't have money to keep up.

I didn’t know you go to nycpm. Is it true that nycpm is like a bootcamp & it’s absurd win the way the tests are scheduled since it’s like two tests each week?

I didn’t know you go to nycpm. Is it true that nycpm is like a bootcamp & it’s absurd win the way the tests are scheduled since it’s like two tests each week?

Depends on the semester, semester 1 and 3; 2 tests a week after 1st month. I don't know other schools schedule, so I cant compare. I still have time for video games and my gf, but some weeks suck.

Gotcha. I think it’s good for pods to be affiliated with DOs

Depends on the semester, semester 1 and 3; 2 tests a week after 1st month. I don't know other schools schedule, so I cant compare. I still have time for video games and my gf, but some weeks suck.

Would you pick that school again? Why or why not?

Would you pick that school again? Why or why not?
My experiences should not deter your choice in NYCPM. My opinions on NYCPM have got me in trouble, so I will not go into it. The schools are very similar, hopefully Touro will improve the culture of NYCPM and improve the financial deficits that are obviously present compared to Scholl, Temple and other large university related programs. I think NYCPM will be a better school in the next 5-10 years.

Hi all,
Any advice on this from anyone would be greatly appreciated since it’s gonna be the next four years of my life!

Got yourself a hard decision. The schools seem to be neck and neck. I think an important thing to look at is attendance. NY has mandatory attendance. Now you might be like me who went to every lecture in undergrad. We might do the same in podiatry. But based on what I've read on various message boards and what I've seen on tours, the vast majority of students will watch the lectures online on 1.5 speed. If you go to NY, you won't have that choice. I wouldn't be worried about the move. Everyone survives it.

Got yourself a hard decision. The schools seem to be neck and neck. I think an important thing to look at is attendance. NY has mandatory attendance. Now you might be like me who went to every lecture in undergrad. We might do the same in podiatry. But based on what I've read on various message boards and what I've seen on tours, the vast majority of students will watch the lectures online on 1.5 speed. If you go to NY, you won't have that choice. I wouldn't be worried about the move. Everyone survives it.

Class capture with 1.5x-2x speed is church. Truly a gift from God.

Reactions: 2 users

Yeah I’m the type who goes to every lecture & never miss class in undergrad lol but the thing is scholl seems very communicative whereas I didn’t find that for nycpm...not sure how that will play out in the future but I feel like it kinda shows that you’re on your own at nycpm...

Yeah I’m the type who goes to every lecture & never miss class in undergrad lol but the thing is scholl seems very communicative whereas I didn’t find that for nycpm...not sure how that will play out in the future but I feel like it kinda shows that you’re on your own at nycpm...
I can't really compare due to never attending Scholl, but from your student type, you would be successful at NYCPM. Each school has issues, its just which issues annoy you the least.

My experiences should not deter your choice in NYCPM. My opinions on NYCPM have got me in trouble, so I will not go into it. The schools are very similar, hopefully Touro will improve the culture of NYCPM and improve the financial deficits that are obviously present compared to Scholl, Temple and other large university related programs. I think NYCPM will be a better school in the next 5-10 years.

I mean you can pm me your opinions. No one would know except for me & I don’t plan to post that on sdn....

Hi all,

As some of you may/may not remember, I was set onto going to nycpm, but now that may have to change. I was offered a scholarship at Scholl but none at nycpm. I live in nyc already so there’s this cost of relocating to Chicago & finding an apartment & all that. Also, there’s this issue of getting a car, since in nyc, you don’t really need one to get around. Now I’m really confused since I don’t scholl’s scholarship to go down the drain. If it was a little amount like $2500, then I probably would have overlooked but it’s $7500! Now I’m thinking if my net at attending nycpm will be the same as scholl’s, given cost of moving to Chicago. Also, I want a school which will help me out & be there for me when I need any help. Idk if it will be nycpm or scholl or both since I’m not a student there & cant speak about that. Yes I know it’s up to me to get good grades & yada yada yada but I think it’s also the school’s responsibility with matching & helping us prep for boards. Any advice on this from anyone would be greatly appreciated since it’s gonna be the next four years of my life!
SCHOLL. All day.

the vast majority of students will watch the lectures online on 1.5 speed.
Most said 1.75-2x. Didn't think it is possible. Couple months into school, I listened 2x myself. Some are difficult to listen to at 2x.

When I go back to 1x speed to listen to some detail for a short duration, feels like 0.5x

Couldn't imagine being in school with mandatory attendance and no recorded lectures.

Most said 1.75-2x. Didn't think it is possible. Couple months into school, I listened 2x myself. Some are difficult to listen to at 2x.
When I go back to 1x speed to listen to some detail for a short duration, feels like 0.5x
Couldn't imagine being in school with mandatory attendance and no recorded lectures.

Don't agree with Ribas often but this for sure agree with.

Was the type of student in undergrad who did well going to lecture.
Completely changed in school.

1.5-1.75x speed = more time to listen to lectures AND study/review.
Would rather get good sleep, go to the library and listen to lectures at 1.5-1.75 + study for 5-7 hours.

Still have time to workout, run errands for wife, instead of sitting in class for a 3 hour lecture that could've been condensed in 1.5hrs.

I'll just state my opinions: 1) I dislike going to harlem everyday. 2) Having to go to harlem or lose 5-50 points on my grade is idiotic.

I watch everything on 2x. I get having to go to clinic, but I am not a classroom guy.

Just look at their profile.

Spammy as hell.

Not spamming at all. I’m a current student at MWU, feel free to DM me.

I’m simply stating my opinion (and that of those who chose DMU and Scholl over MWU).

I chose MWU to be near a terminally ill family member, however I recognize the deficits in the program and I am able to intelligently elaborate on them.

I'll just state my opinions: 1) I dislike going to harlem everyday. 2) Having to go to harlem or lose 5-50 points on my grade is idiotic.

I watch everything on 2x. I get having to go to clinic, but I am not a classroom guy.

Oh so the lectures are posted still & you can watch it again whenever you want. That’s good.

There's like an updated school ranking list thread somewhere on here and I honestly thought it was pretty accurate IMO.

Based solely on academic quality, does anyone think there is a significant difference between DMU and MWU?

I’m simply stating my opinion (and that of those who chose DMU and Scholl over MWU).

I chose MWU to be near a terminally ill family member, however I recognize the deficits in the program and I am able to intelligently elaborate on them.

I'm sure there are students at DMU who feel the same way you do about MWU. Every school is bound to have a couple unhappy students.

There's like an updated school ranking list thread somewhere on here and I honestly thought it was pretty accurate IMO.
I think ranking podiatry schools hysterical, we all get the same residencies... It's like comparing 2017 Nathan Peterman to 2018 Nathan Peterman...

I think ranking 9 schools should be individually based on individual preferences. Even though I have ranked schools for myself, it is still very subjective and I wouldn't say that it represents the reality.

One who wants to make a decision between schools, should probably make their own list based on what they saw, read, heard and make decision that way. What I consider important, others might consider irrelevant.

There are many variables to consider when making a decision.

Good on you.

There are better ways to carry yourself than say it in all caps. I respect your decision to stay close to a terminally ill family member.

Midwestern is an academically strong school that hand picks very high stat- applicants.

I hope you will be able to enjoy some of your journey.

“Scholl”. They deserve the caps, but is that less deliberate for you?

Midwestern has a mix of statistics. We have classmates with 490 MCAT’s and some with 505+, which could be contenders for the DO program.

MWU might be considered tough because we take basic sciences with the DO’s, and as much as the Pod program would like to integrate, you can feel the stigma exists there that differentiate our program. It will be hard to earn respect from other practitioners with your DPM degree. Period. Anyone that disagrees hasn’t had enough real world experience in healthcare.

What it comes down to is this...

If you focus on doing really well, top 20% of your class, you will thrive in any of the 9 Podiatry programs.

If you want a leg up with resources and residency matching: I highly recommend considering Scholl or DMU.

Best to you.

If you want a leg up with resources and residency matching: I highly recommend considering Scholl or DMU.[/QUOTE]

Correct me if I’m wrong: but when I looked at the residency list, there are 36 residencies in just New York alone compared to 22 in Illinois. Nycpm has connections with New York residencies & maybe even nj. Therefore, as an international student, I feel like I’ve higher chances landing a residency in New York than in Illinois (given some of them sponsor work visa, which they do). I agree scholl has better resources probably as they seem to care about the students more than nycpm.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong: but when I looked at the residency list, there are 36 residencies in just New York alone compared to 22 in Illinois. Nycpm has connections with New York residencies & maybe even nj. Therefore, as an international student, I feel like I’ve higher chances landing a residency in New York than in Illinois (given some of them sponsor work visa, which they do). I agree scholl has better resources probably as they seem to care about the students more than nycpm.
Yea, you're more likely to get into a residency near the school you studied at.

You don’t think midwestern is the best? I was under the impression they had a 100% board pass rate

Midwestern has a mix of statistics. We have classmates with 490 MCAT’s and some with 505+, which could be contenders for the DO program.

MWU might be considered tough because we take basic sciences with the DO’s, and as much as the Pod program would like to integrate, you can feel the stigma exists there that differentiate our program. It will be hard to earn respect from other practitioners with your DPM degree. Period. Anyone that disagrees hasn’t had enough real world experience in healthcare.

If you focus on doing really well, top 20% of your class, you will thrive in any of the 9 Podiatry programs.

If you want a leg up with resources and residency matching: I highly recommend considering Scholl or DMU.

Best to you.

Best to you.
Leg up in Midwest...

Correct me if I’m wrong: but when I looked at the residency list, there are 36 residencies in just New York alone compared to 22 in Illinois. Nycpm has connections with New York residencies & maybe even nj. Therefore, as an international student, I feel like I’ve higher chances landing a residency in New York than in Illinois (given some of them sponsor work visa, which they do). I agree scholl has better resources probably as they seem to care about the students more than nycpm.[/QUOTE]

If you want to stay in NY, it might be better to go to nycpm if you take advantage of the locality. What I mean is that any time you have a half day or some time off, you spend that half day or time off visiting programs. It will allow you to figure out which programs you feel like you'd fit in better, and they will know you better and your work ethic. However with that said, I felt overall the caliber of students graduating from scholl were better than those from nycpm.