Need help with doctor shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stephaniej12112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've found three doctors that I'd like to contact about shadowing, but from what I've read on here, it's better to email them. Unfortunately none of these doctors have emails, so I can only call their receptionist. As much as I dread making phone calls like this, what can I say to the receptionist? I'm not sure where to start with or what to say. I'm not in my university area right now, so I can't visit their office either. Do you have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Stephanie

Members don't see this ad.

I've found three doctors that I'd like to contact about shadowing, but from what I've read on here, it's better to email them. Unfortunately none of these doctors have emails, so I can only call their receptionist. As much as I dread making phone calls like this, what can I say to the receptionist? I'm not sure where to start with or what to say. I'm not in my university area right now, so I can't visit their office either. Do you have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Stephanie
How is this possible?

Also, don't use real pics on SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
How is this possible?

Also, don't use real pics on SDN.
I have no idea? I've been to each doctor's website, and the only means of communication listed is a phone number and a fax. The only reason I can think of is because my university is in a slightly rural area, but no matter what I can't seem to find an email address.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea? I've been to each doctor's website, and the only means of communication listed is a phone number and a fax. The only reason I can think of is because my university is in a slightly rural area, but no matter what I can't seem to find an email address.
It's literally impossible for a doctor to not have a work email address, even for private practice docs. Have you tried googling "doctor name, MD, location"?

It's literally impossible for a doctor to not have a work email address, even for private practice docs. Have you tried googling "doctor name, MD, location"?
Yes, I have. Nothing. I've been on their websites, and I've googled their names, no matter what the only contacts are phone numbers.

I didn't email a single doctor to shadow. I set just about everything up through either their receptionist or the medical education coordinator in their office (some of the bigger practices and hospital practices have these). Doctor's emails should not be able to be searched on the internet or elsewhere. It's a privacy thing. I am sure they have them though.

I didn't email a single doctor to shadow. I set just about everything up through either their receptionist or the medical education coordinator in their office (some of the bigger practices and hospital practices have these). Doctor's emails should not be able to be searched on the internet or elsewhere. It's a privacy thing. I am sure they have them though.
Yeah do that then.

My state school has doctor emails on their department bios. Also sometimes various doc databases have them on file.

If they're in academic medicine, they usually have emails listed. Sometimes in a database.
But in private practice, or employed by a community hospital, good luck finding an email. There's no reason for it to be listed.

I cold-called a lot of places because of the lack of email. I think about 40+ DOs were not open to being shadowed. Total fail.

Edit: Had better luck with MDs. I called, didn't email ever.

Ask to speak with the office manager
Tell her the reason you're calling
Leave name and number
Lather, rinse, repeat

Also, if it's a hospital, they will transfer you to a department for shadowing

You're gonna have to be proactive and call or visit the office. Many may not allow you because of HIPAA (just an excuse) but there are a few that are nice enough to let you shadow. Be nice and courteous and speak with the office manager because they're usually the ones who allow shadowees.
I emailed doctors at the university hospital and was able to shadow three hospitalists. You could try doing that, even if it's not in the specialty you are interested in. Sometimes you can start with one doctor, who knows other doctors that may allow you to shadow them too.

Thanks in advance,

Stephanie
That is a bold faced lie emails are so easy to ignore. I typed up a simple letter saying that I am a premed student and want to shadow them because I may be interested in their specialty. I told them either I want to shadow you regularly and hopefully receive a LOR or I said, I don't expect a regular commitment or LOR. That way expectations are already set. Then I thank them for their time and consideration and put my contact info on their. Then take the letter to the office, ask to speak with the physician or ask if they allow students to shadow. When the receptionist inevitably says they are busy, ask them to please give them the letter. This worked for me several times.

That is a bold faced lie emails are so easy to ignore. I typed up a simple letter saying that I am a premed student and want to shadow them because I may be interested in their specialty. I told them either I want to shadow you regularly and hopefully receive a LOR or I said, I don't expect a regular commitment or LOR. That way expectations are already set. Then I thank them for their time and consideration and put my contact info on their. Then take the letter to the office, ask to speak with the physician or ask if they allow students to shadow. When the receptionist inevitably says they are busy, ask them to please give them the letter. This worked for me several times.

This is a very good idea. A lot of people that work at the front desk really don't care about you and shadowing, especially if it's a busy practice.

This is sort of a cheat . . . but I have a relative in their sixties who has frequent visits to doctors of several different specialities. In the cases where my relative felt comfortable with that physician and had seen them "teach" before, my relative asked if they would be amenable to me shadowing. I used this opportunity to shadow an ENT DO with an extremely busy practice (between 80-95 patient visits in an average day) where I might have had trouble getting past reception. This is obviously something that only works in specific situations . . . but you gotta take your advantages where you can find them.

Don't use physician shadowing LORs, unless you're applying DO or a specific school asks for it.

OP, why don't you email who you can and call their receptionist if they don't respond in X amount of time?