Need help with EC's!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheergbe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love some advice on how my extracurriculars look so far :)

-650 hours of patient contact experience. I have been a home health aid for a year and a half and it will be 2.5 by the time I apply
- 100 hours of volunteering at the hospital surgery check-in desk
- 5 hours of shadowing (I know this needs to go up)
- 1 year of research (no publications)
- I just started tutoring bio, chem, and physics to college students that come from low income families or that have learning disabilities, or are first generation college students.
-I received a scholarship for my leadership role in competitive cheerleading from the organization that started all-star cheerleading (very humbling experience!)

Do you think I need to do non-clinical volunteering? or does my hospital volunteering count as non-clinical? I just really need some advice

- Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hospital volunteering is clinical experience. Non-clinical volunteering is everything outside of a hospital or clinic. You can do some non-clinical volunteering if you want to, just choose something that you really like and stick to it. Since you like cheerleading, maybe find a position as a volunteer cheerleading coach. I would suggest increasing your clinical experience in regards to shadowing. Although hospital volunteering is technically considered clinical/ healthcare experience, observing from a physician's standpoint is just as important as direct patient contact.

yes, you need to show off your altruism. Other ECs look fine; you should have ~40+ hrs shadowing. Your hospital volunteering is clinical if you could smell patients. You didn't need to have done surgery or putting in centraal lines, just understanding what you were getting into and showing Adcoms that you like being around patients.

Do you think I need to do non-clinical volunteering? or does my hospital volunteering count as non-clinical? I just really need some advice

- Thank You

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that paid tutoring? If so you might want to consider getting involved with meaningful volunteering. To me volunteering at a hospital check-in desk is a very 'pre-med' position that adcoms won't think you're passionate about. It looks like you're just trying to log volunteer hours to get in. Volunteering at a soup kitchen or with big brothers/big sisters would mean a lot more, assuming you have any interest in that.

Thank you so much for the replies. I actually love the check in desk! I feel like I'm important and I really love talking to all the families but if I do non clinical then I won't have time for both :(. Maybe I will try volunteering at the YMCA with kids, I think I would really like that