NEED HELP WITH MY DECIDING WHETHER A POST BAC OR SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmurillo22

Reaction score
Hello. I have a few questions I need help with. I graduated with a Biomedical Science degree. I have a 3.456cGPA and 3.4 sGPA. I know my GPA is on the low end. I went to my pre med advisor and I believe I didn’t get much help.

I was in the process of applying to one year program master degree that includes 2 classes with medical students , but Idk if it’s too risky to do since you have to do very well in the program in order for it to help you with your application. My advisor told me that med schools don’t really care if you do a SMP or a DIY post bac as long as you show an upward trend. She also said that the cheaper option is to start a second undergrad degree and take some classes and show that I can handle Science classes and I don’t have to finish my degree.

I’m mostly concerned about my credits. I have 135 Undergrad credits total and 90 credits of them are in science classes. I was advised to do at least 30 credits ( 1 year) of upper level science classes to reach 3.5 and apply. I’m now preparing to take the MCAT and my goal is 515.

what would be my best option ?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated with a Biomedical Science degree. I have a 3.456cGPA and 3.4 sGPA. I know my GPA is on the low end. I went to my pre med advisor and I believe I didn’t get much help.

I was in the process of applying to one year program master degree that includes 2 classes with medical students , but Idk if it’s too risky to do since you have to do very well in the program in order for it to help you with your application. My advisor told me that med schools don’t really care if you do a SMP or a DIY post bac as long as you show an upward trend. She also said that the cheaper option is to start a second undergrad degree and take some classes and show that I can handle Science classes and I don’t have to finish my degree.

I’m mostly concerned about my credits. I have 135 Undergrad credits total and 90 credits of them are in science classes. I was advised to do at least 30 credits ( 1 year) of upper level science classes to reach 3.5 and apply. I’m now preparing to take the MCAT and my goal is 515.

I agree with your advisor, if your goal is an MD acceptance, as you are already fine for DO schools. A (cheaper) DIY postbac will give you the most options for (ideally, med school-like) coursework and more flexibility for scheduling. Adding 30-45 science credits of 3.7+ GPA may not boost your BCPM significantly, but it will show recent academic excellence. Did you start an upward grade trend your last year(s) in college already?

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with your advisor in this case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. I have a few questions I need help with. I graduated with a Biomedical Science degree. I have a 3.456cGPA and 3.4 sGPA. I know my GPA is on the low end. I went to my pre med advisor and I believe I didn’t get much help.

Listen to you advisor.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with your advisor in this case.
So no SMP ? I was worried cuz my major was pretty science classes heavy and it would be a bit difficult to find classes left, but I can definitely make it work. I only got one C+ in my undergrad ( Microbiology) do you think I should retake that class ?

Reactions: 1 user
So no SMP ? I was worried cuz my major was pretty science classes heavy and it would be a bit difficult to find classes left, but I can definitely make it work. I only got one C+ in my undergrad ( Microbiology) do you think I should retake that class ?
No, do not retake classes that are C or above. I vote for postbacc over SMP because of lower cost, lower risk, flexibility.

Reactions: 1 users