Need help with pre-reqs and applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zenm111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a non traditional student with an information systems major, I started my Dental School journey in Community College, knowing I wanted to become a Dentist. I chose IS as a major because I was good at it. Anyways, to the point. I will be applying to Dental School in the spring of 2018. By the time I apply, I will be complete with these Pre-Reqs.

English 1 and 2
Statistics (Tx School required)
Bio 1 ( Taking this in the fall this year )
Chem 1 ( Taking this in the fall this year )
Microbio ( Taking this in the fall this year ) or Biochem
Bio 2 ( Taking Spring 2018)
Chem 2 (Taking Spring 2018)
Org 1 ( Taking Spring 2018)

If you can kindly analyze this and let me know if this is a good path I am taking? Maybe switch out a prereq for another course? I am an excellent self studier so I believe with enough hard work I can do good in the DAT. I have started studying for it right now, currently working on shadowing and volunteering. I'm planning on applying to all TX Dental Schools, UoP and maybe more.

Thank you for your attention.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am a non traditional student with an information systems major, I currently have kids and am new to this whole thing. I started my Dental School journey in Community College, knowing I wanted to become a Dentist. I chose IS as a major because I was good at it. Anyways, to the point. I will be applying to Dental School in the spring of 2018. By the time I apply, I will be complete with these Pre-Reqs.

English 1 and 2
Statistics (Tx School required)
Bio 1 ( Taking this in the fall this year )
Chem 1 ( Taking this in the fall this year )
Microbio ( Taking this in the fall this year ) or Biochem
Bio 2 ( Taking Spring 2018)
Chem 2 (Taking Spring 2018)
Org 1 ( Taking Spring 2018)

If you can kindly analyze this and let me know if this is a good path I am taking? Maybe switch out a prereq for another course? I am an excellent self studier so I believe with enough hard work I can do good in the DAT. I have started studying for it right now, currently working on shadowing and volunteering. I'm planning on applying to all TX Dental Schools, UoP and maybe more.

Thank you for your attention.
I would recommend taking micro and biochem as some schools require either one or both.

Certainly nothing wrong with it. Mostly depends on what your GPA / DAT are at the end. Unless you have a stellar application e.g 3.8+ c/s gpa, 22+ DAT, and amazing EC's (sounds like you don't have the EC's part given you're just starting now) you're going to want to apply to more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Certainly nothing wrong with it. Mostly depends on what your GPA / DAT are at the end. Unless you have a stellar application e.g 3.8+ c/s gpa, 22+ DAT, and amazing EC's (sounds like you don't have the EC's part given you're just starting now) you're going to want to apply to more schools.

I'm 30 years old and have worked as a GM of a restaurant for a few years, survived thyroid cancer, have a GED, work 30+ hours a week while going to school ; if any of that helps to showcase my journey. My GPA is 3.75 right now. I can't predict what I will get on the DAT but I will be studying really hard for it, considering it is in regards to me and my families future. Thank you for your response, I will most def apply to more schools, these are just the ones I have in my mind that are definite.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend taking micro and biochem as some schools require either one or both.

Yes I will do both, do you recommend me fitting it in before I apply? If so which semester would be good for it, this fall or next spring? You guys know more about the workload than I, so I wouldn't know if I am overloading myself.

Yes I will do both, do you recommend me fitting it in before I apply? If so which semester would be good for it, this fall or next spring? You guys know more about the workload than I, so I wouldn't know if I am overloading myself.

I will give a resounding no to this question. You do not need to take the class before you apply. If you apply in Spring of 2018, you can finish up any pre reqs in fall of 2018 or spring of 2019. If you feel ok taking it with other classes, go ahead. If you feel overloaded, don't rush the completion of it.

Also, I would recommend you create a list of schools you want to apply to first. I was able to apply to 15-20 schools that did not require micro (I am currently finishing up biochem). So if you have a list of schools, you can check your requirements for each school and then decide your class schedule accordingly.

Goodluck on your journey! Feel free to pm if you need anything from me.

I will give a resounding no to this question. You do not need to take the class before you apply. If you apply in Spring of 2018, you can finish up any pre reqs in fall of 2018 or spring of 2019. If you feel ok taking it with other classes, go ahead. If you feel overloaded, don't rush the completion of it.

Also, I would recommend you create a list of schools you want to apply to first. I was able to apply to 15-20 schools that did not require micro (I am currently finishing up biochem). So if you have a list of schools, you can check your requirements for each school and then decide your class schedule accordingly.

Goodluck on your journey! Feel free to pm if you need anything from me.

Thank you my friend I appreciate the advice! I was mostly focusing on TX schools since I live here, which requires both Micro and Biochem, and statistics. I will need to do quite the research still!