Need Help with Problematic LoR Situation!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1993SLE

Reaction score
I'm planning on submitting my 2019 AMCAS application next week, and so the last of my LoRs are being sent in to my pre-med advisor now. One of the people I asked to write a LoR is my volunteer supervisor. This volunteer position happens to be one of my most meaningful activities (and is specified as such in the Work/Activities section), so I believed a LoR from my volunteer supervisor would add substantial value to my application.

My volunteer supervisor happily agreed to write the letter, and so I thanked her/told her how to send the LoR to my pre-med advisor (since I waived the right to read my LoRs). Here's where my problems begin:

1. Last week, she emails the LoR to ME, despite the fact that I told her it needed to be sent to my advisor.
2. Being naturally curious, I read her LoR. The letter speaks very positively about me, however, it became painfully obvious that she couldn't have spent more than 3 minutes writing the damn thing. She copy-pasted my full name EACH TIME she mentions something I've accomplished, which gives the whole letter a disingenuous vibe. Almost like when you get spam mail that aggressively addresses you by name. At one point, she actually spells my name incorrectly. Furthermore, as I read on, I noticed that some of the pronouns used to address me in the letter were male instead of female (ex. "he" instead of "she"), and I'm a woman. Face palm. I ended up pointing out these mistakes to her, and she corrected it and resent the letter to my advisor, thankfully. However...
3. ...when she talks about my volunteer time commitment, she mentions a number of hours that is inflated compared to my actual amount of hours I've spent there. So at this point, I've concluded that she slapped my name on someone else's letter and called it a day. There's nothing wrong with using a template to start a letter, but COME ON.

For clarification, I will be getting a committee letter from my pre-med advisor at my undergrad institution. So, it's entirely possible that adcoms won't even request to see the individual letter from this particular volunteer supervisor. However, there is always the possibility that they COULD request it, which is what raised my concern in the first place. I just don't want them to see this particular LoR and have it raise doubts, which could potentially lead to them raising doubts about other aspects of my application.

TLDR: One of my LoR writers wrote a letter that speaks positively of me, but also contains a lie about how many hours I've spent volunteering there. It's not a wildly inflated number and I'm sure she didn't mean to be innacurate, but its inflated nonetheless. I've already had to correct her on several typos, and I feel weird calling her out for the incorrect amount of hours. I feel defeated. :( What would you do in this situation? Thank you for all your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on submitting my 2019 AMCAS application next week, and so the last of my LoRs are being sent in to my pre-med advisor now. One of the people I asked to write a LoR is my volunteer supervisor. This volunteer position happens to be one of my most meaningful activities (and is specified as such in the Work/Activities section), so I believed a LoR from my volunteer supervisor would add substantial value to my application.

My volunteer supervisor happily agreed to write the letter, and so I thanked her/told her how to send the LoR to my pre-med advisor (since I waived the right to read my LoRs). Here's where my problems begin:

1. Last week, she emails the LoR to ME, despite the fact that I told her it needed to be sent to my advisor.
2. Being naturally curious, I read her LoR. The letter speaks very positively about me, however, it became painfully obvious that she couldn't have spent more than 3 minutes writing the damn thing. She copy-pasted my full name EACH TIME she mentions something I've accomplished, which gives the whole letter a disingenuous vibe. Almost like when you get spam mail that aggressively addresses you by name. At one point, she actually spells my name incorrectly. Furthermore, as I read on, I noticed that some of the pronouns used to address me in the letter were male instead of female (ex. "he" instead of "she"), and I'm a woman. Face palm. I ended up pointing out these mistakes to her, and she corrected it and resent the letter to my advisor, thankfully. However...
3. ...when she talks about my volunteer time commitment, she mentions a number of hours that is inflated compared to my actual amount of hours I've spent there. So at this point, I've concluded that she slapped my name on someone else's letter and called it a day. There's nothing wrong with using a template to start a letter, but COME ON.

For clarification, I will be getting a committee letter from my pre-med advisor at my undergrad institution. So, it's entirely possible that adcoms won't even request to see the individual letter from this particular volunteer supervisor. However, there is always the possibility that they COULD request it, which is what raised my concern in the first place. I just don't want them to see this particular LoR and have it raise doubts, which could potentially lead to them raising doubts about other aspects of my application.

TLDR: One of my LoR writers wrote a letter that speaks positively of me, but also contains a lie about how many hours I've spent volunteering there. It's not a wildly inflated number and I'm sure she didn't mean to be innacurate, but its inflated nonetheless. I've already had to correct her on several typos, and I feel weird calling her out for the incorrect amount of hours. I feel defeated. :( What would you do in this situation? Thank you for all your help!!!

If you have a committee letter, and that fills LOR requirements, schools don't want to see additional letters.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have a committee letter, and that fills LOR requirements, schools don't want to see additional letters.

I realize that many schools will be satisfied with the committee letter. However, I've heard that some schools do request to see individual letters, which is what made me worry about the in the first place. I'm hoping that I'm just blowing this all out of proportion though...

I realize that many schools will be satisfied with the committee letter. However, I've heard that some schools do request to see individual letters, which is what made me worry about the in the first place. I'm hoping that I'm just blowing this all out of proportion though...

Schools screen thousands of applications. I haven't really heard of them requesting additional letters beyond their requirements. I think they usually work with what you give them.

Reactions: 1 users