Need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cy2924

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please do not do a post-bacc or SMP on a 3.7 GPA
The MCAT is the much bigger hurdle for top 10s

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to ask if doing master or post-back help me to increase chance to get to top 10 med school? My gpa is quite weak, only 3.67c/3.79 bcmp, which is on the bottom 10% of student bodies. I need gpa booster, but I think it's both wasting money to get post-bacc or SMP.
These GPAs are the median for MD acceptees. Only in SDN-land would they be viewed as "weak".

Reactions: 1 users
I realize my gpa is median for top 20, but bottom 10% on top 10. I know I am too picky to the choice of medical school, but I still want to do it regardless. Thank you for your help.

I realize my gpa is median for top 20, but bottom 10% on top 10. I know I am too picky to the choice of medical school, but I still want to do it regardless. Thank you for your help.
Then why did you ask? You ask for help. You get opinions. The opinions aren't what you want to hear. So you're going to do what you want to do anyway. Again...why did you even ask?

I am sorry if the way of my expression offends you, but I just want to give a clear description of my thought and my circumstance so that they can know how to help me. I don't mean to brag about my gpa.
No, I'm not offended at all. I just don't understand your desire to increase your GPA. Increasing your GPA (unnecessarily) is not going to increase your chances for a top 10 school if the rest of your application is not up to top 10 level. What is your MCAT? What are your EC's like? Those are going to have a much bigger impact on getting onto a top 10 than increasing your already fine GPA.

my previous one is 515 which is not optimal for schools. I have three and half years of research experiences leading to 1200 hours with three pubs and three conferences. I have shadowing in six different departments leading to around 1100 hours. I also have around 600 hours of community services in senior cares. I have been working for four years resulting in promotion as a director. I am thinking about going to master to further boost my chance to get accepted since I am ORM, and I am worry being ORM will impede my chance.
So you're also going to take a 515 MCAT? And you have 1100 hours shadowing? WHY?

You know what...you do you. I don't think any advice we could offer would help you. Good luck.

I want to ask if doing master or post-back help me to increase chance to get to top 10 med school? My gpa is quite weak, only 3.67c/3.79 bcmp, which is on the bottom 10% of student bodies. I need gpa booster, but I think it's both wasting money to get post-bacc or SMP.

Although aiming for a Top 10 Medical School is an excellent goal, do not let it rule out other alternatives. There are many state schools and other low-tier schools that provide fantastic medical training. If you do not get accepted, do not let that sway your dream of becoming a licensed Physician.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

my previous one is 515 which is not optimal for schools. I have three and half years of research experiences leading to 1200 hours with three pubs and three conferences. I have shadowing in six different departments leading to around 1100 hours. I also have around 600 hours of community services in senior cares. I have been working for four years resulting in promotion as a director. I am thinking about going to master to further boost my chance to get accepted since I am ORM, and I am worry being ORM will impede my chance.

Your perfectionism and focus on rank will hurt you more than your ORM status.

Thank you for the help. I think the main reason is lack of confidence.

Thank you for the help. I think the main reason is lack of confidence.

Cy,

Many people aiming for medical school (whether DO, M.D., etc). have the same issue as yours, including myself. Last semester was the worst. I was able to finish strong, but my depression/anxiety almost began to hinder my academics. Thank god the summer came where I got help or else I wouldn't have been able to continue forward. If you are struggling with your self-confidence and self concept, please seek help ASAP. You need to be confident and comfortable with yourself before embarking on a profession that entails significant commitment. I received medical help recently, and I feel dramatically different and I am now more excited, motivated, and optimistic about becoming a healthcare professional.

Sometimes you need to give yourself a break. You deserve one. You have a fantastic GPA--don't be so hard on yourself. If anyone has any recommendations on how to augment your resume, then take that advice. You got this.

Reactions: 1 user
I realize my gpa is median for top 20, but bottom 10% on top 10.
This is not true, at all. Do you have MSAR access? There isn't a clean divide like this. Schools ranked in the teens often have higher stats ranges than some of the biggest names. Like compare medians at Vanderbilt and UChicago and NYU (all 3.90/520) to medians at Stanford (3.89/518) or Penn (3.87/518) or UCSF (3.84/516).

With a 3.67/515 you are a very competitive applicant to get into med school in general, but are setting yourself up for disappointment if you go into this feeling like you will only be happy with a "top x" admit. Even if you did spend a bunch of time and money on a tiny grade repair, and risked a retake, it would still not be something you can expect to happen.