Need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dslite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in becoming a dentist but I have a problem. I graduated with a communication BA with a GPA of 2.3. After college I wanted to pursue a medical technology degree so I enrolled in another college I eventually got dismissed from the college because I didn't realize how difficult science classes were and I had other problems going on as well. I left with a GPA of about a 1.5. Now I'm in a community college because that is all I can afford at this point and I love it. Before I enrolled I learned a lot about study techniques for sciences and I now have a 4.0 GPA. I would like to know if I have a chance of getting into dental school with such a horrible academic background? Will doing very well on the DAT improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in becoming a dentist but I have a problem. I graduated with a communication BA with a GPA of 2.3. After college I wanted to pursue a medical technology degree so I enrolled in another college I eventually got dismissed from the college because I didn't realize how difficult science classes were and I had other problems going on as well. I left with a GPA of about a 1.5. Now I'm in a community college because that is all I can afford at this point and I love it. Before I enrolled I learned a lot about study techniques for sciences and I now have a 4.0 GPA. I would like to know if I have a chance of getting into dental school with such a horrible academic background? Will doing very well on the DAT improve my chances?

I would recommend you enroll in a 4 year university and complete all prereqs that are needed for dental school, if you have not done so already. Some dental schools do not take community college credits (especially for prereqs), so you should take them at a 4 year university and show dental schools you can do well. Secondly, what is your overall cumulative GPA? You will most likely have to enroll in some sort of formal post-bacc program or Masters program in science, just b/c your GPA is so low. Also, how many hours did you take during your medical technology term? Doing really well on the DAT will obviously help you out, but I don't know how great your chances will be. So overall, yes you have a chance, but it's going to take a huge effort on your part and it will take some time.