need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercyme

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
dear friends this is my first post after searching all along to find a fourm to share my pain and disappointment.
I live in an area where there is not much scope for audiolgy but cannot move right now due to personal reasons . also if i move i notice the salary offered in an expensive cost of living area is still the same sub 60K and mostly selling hearing aids ( i hate this)
now i applied to other companies in the healthcare industry such as clinics of research (clinical trials), insurance industry even consulting firms. None of them care.
after talking to one recruiter they say they have no idea how to evaluate this AuD degree
they believe it is some padded degree with not much value
one recruiter specifically said they would rather get a nurse ( B.SN) to do the data crunching.
it was a crushing blow to me a 4.0GPA student through out with stellar performance.
there is a deep turmoil inside and i find that i CANNOT sell myself in the healthcare industry other than being a hearing aid seller...
can anyone share their set of trouble and pain here?
thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to hear the difficult time that you are having in finding a job. =( I was wondering if you have used audiologyonline.com and/or gotten in contact with your state's Academy of Audiology chapter? Hopefully these can be sources of finding jobs and support. Looking at job postings for audiology, you often see them focused on hearing aid sales because frankly, that is where the money is to be made for the most part. The audiologists with jobs in university and hospital clinics are most likely not leaving any time soon, but it sounds like that is the type of job you are primarily looking for.

I want to encourage you to keep on looking and searching and wish you luck. If you give some more specifics I would assume that the frequent posters of this forum would have some helpful information and insight. This is a well informed group we got here.

do you think you couldn't stand working with hearing aids? not sure i would give up on the field so soon. you just made a pretty big investment in your training. it might be good just to get a job in the field, even if it's only for a year or two - build your resume and pay the bills. i don't like the idea of being a salesperson either, but you can decide what kind of salesperson you are. and if you always try to keep foremost the needs of the patient, honestly you are providing a needed and valued service.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think you couldn't stand working with hearing aids? not sure i would give up on the field so soon. you just made a pretty big investment in your training. it might be good just to get a job in the field, even if it's only for a year or two - build your resume and pay the bills. i don't like the idea of being a salesperson either, but you can decide what kind of salesperson you are. and if you always try to keep foremost the needs of the patient, honestly you are providing a needed and valued service.

I definitely know and understand the feeling of being "a salesperson" when it comes to hearing aids but something that I learned and realized as I was finishing up my externship is that we as audiologists identify people who could benefit from hearing aids and we want to provide the service that comes with it. We are diagnosticians but we are also "rehab counselors" of communication and one of our tools is a hearing instrument. I would encourage you to take that kind of approach. These elderly individuals are in need of help but often do not want to accept the fact. i keep wanting to jump to an analogy but i feel like it would easily be discounted due to it being kind of flat and unrealistic.

I always try to remind myself that when you deal with people, things are messy. Treat it almost like a puzzle, that's what continues to keep me intrigued. I try to maintain a sense of positive curiosity, almost like getting to know someone on a first date: see what makes them tick; find their needs, their desires, their struggles and then talk directly to them.

Glad you've found your way here and I am pretty sure you can count on us for continued future help and support =)

thanks all but wondering why no one addressed the issue with other industries having no recognition to our degree?
are you guys not the type who think outside the box for career growth?

thanks all but wondering why no one addressed the issue with other industries having no recognition to our degree?
are you guys not the type who think outside the box for career growth?

Why do you sound like someone that was banned from this forum before? Maybe if you just tweaked your style of writing, you'd be able to pass up for someone else for a bit longer. As I stated in a different thread, please step off the nearest cliff, good bye

Why do you sound like someone that was banned from this forum before? Maybe if you just tweaked your style of writing, you'd be able to pass up for someone else for a bit longer. As I stated in a different thread, please step off the nearest cliff, good bye

I wonder if she put as much effort into her profession as she has creating new accounts on an online forum.

No kidding, might actually be productive in society.