Need Honest, non-gunner, advice on Low MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcat96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never created a thread, but I am in need of some help. So I first took the MCAT July 27, 2017 and received a 503 (126/123/129/125). I studied pretty extensively for only two months and scored 505, 507 on my last two practice tests (AAMC FL1,2).

Retook the test July 7, 2018 and just received a 501 (125/125/128/123). I studied very hard and scored three 509's on practice tests (Next Step, AAMC FL3) and took around 6 FL practice tests before.

To go down 8 points from your recent FL that I took 3 days before, I am at a loss for what is going wrong. Can anybody offer any advice or share similar situations. I know that I have very low chances of admission with a 501 and will probably have to take two gap years, but if that happens, I'm not giving up and I'll take it again, but need to know what to fix.

Sorry for the long post everybody, just trying to get through this.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have test taking anxiety issues? If so, those can be fixed.
You're fine for DO schools. Apply broadly.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Do you have test taking anxiety issues? If so, those can be fixed.
You're fine for DO schools. Apply broadly.
I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

I've never had test anxiety in my life, but I do have GAD, so that could be it. I'm on medication so I'm not sure how else to fix it.

Members don't see this ad :)
your B/B score is great, which tells me that you have the potential to improve in C/P. A P/S that low tells me that you did not yet have a solid grasp on all of the material in that section when you took the exam. CARS is more resistant to practice but practice is really the only way to improve. It's a section you have to learn to beat and then beat consistently. But a 125 is by no means a killer if the other sections are solid.

My guess is that you got a test that hit a lot of your weaknesses, especially in P/S. 6 full lengths is a lot of practice so you shouldve been plenty familiar with the exam and question types beforehand. If you were to retake, then my advice would be to refocus on all of your weak content areas and get them down, like REALLY know them, and do more practice with individual sections in addition to full length exams.

It's pretty vague advice but that's my post mortem based on the info here

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to thank you all for the feedback. I retook the MCAT Sep. 18 and scored a 512! Thank you all so much!

Reactions: 23 users
I wanted to thank you all for the feedback. I retook the MCAT Sep. 18 and scored a 512! Thank you all so much!

Nice work! That's quite a jump! Just make sure to be careful while making your school list and take into account how they view old scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! You should post in the MCAT subforum under the 509+ study habits. I'm sure all the folks who are going to retake would love to hear how you approached changing/adjusting your tactics.

Reactions: 3 users
That’s awesome news!!! Congrats!!! Be very careful when applying and making a school list. Depending on GPA I might apply both DO and MD

Congratulations on the improvement!

Salute to OP.

Someone once posted a chart showing acceptance percentages for GPA vs MCAT.

Does someone have one of these for DO?

That’s awesome news!!! Congrats!!! Be very careful when applying and making a school list. Depending on GPA I might apply both DO and MD

Thanks for advice. I considered that, but my list is all state schools with reasonable MCATs and most only look at recent one. Most schools I've interviewed with have said that it shows my determination to do medicine.

K
Thanks for advice. I considered that, but my list is all state schools with reasonable MCATs and most only look at recent one. Most schools I've interviewed with have said that it shows my determination to do medicine.
yeah sometimes this process has a bit of randomness depending on stats residency, congrats on your success!

That may be the “company” stance but remember all of your scores are visible and are viewed by humans that have their own thoughts and biases. So at least take that into account. Especially if you venture outside of your state schools. Good luck.

Last edited:
That may be the “company” stance but remember all of your scores are visible and are viewed by humans that have their own thoughts and biases. So at least take that into account. Especially if you venture outside of your state schools. Good luck.

Yeah that may be the case, but it's up to them to decide. I have a stacked resume so I'm not too concerned, but anything can happen! I'll keep trying regardless. Good luck to you too!

Yeah that may be the case, but it's up to them to decide. I have a stacked resume so I'm not too concerned, but anything can happen! I'll keep trying regardless. Good luck to you too!

I have a "stacked resume" and a great MCAT on the first try, and it's still rough out there. Do yourself a favor and apply broadly.

I have a "stacked resume" and a great MCAT on the first try, and it's still rough out there. Do yourself a favor and apply broadly.

You may enjoy attempting to put others down, but I do not so I will wish you good luck!

You may enjoy attempting to put others down, but I do not so I will wish you good luck!
He isn’t putting you down... he’s warning you not to be too confident, and to apply broadly to increase your chances.

Quit being a sensitive sally.

Reactions: 2 users

Don't be so sensitive. I'm not putting you down, I'm giving you advice from someone who thought he had a killer application but has found that even applicants who look great on paper have a hard time since over 60% of applicants don't get in anywhere. Tens of thousands of applicants have great resumes and killer scores. You need to apply broadly and smartly so that you get in somewhere. It's not a put down. It's good advice.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha yeah I may have had my sensitive flag raised a tad, but ya I understand it's a crap shoot and even the best apps get denied. I did apply broadly so all I can do is wait and hope a committee votes in my favor. Thanks for advice.

Reactions: 1 users